MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Well, well, well... my descent into Blacetness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Well, well, well... my descent into Blacetness
Kent
Look what showed up in the mail:




What could it be?



Mais, Sacre Bleu!



Yup, that shit be upside down and the LED Ladders for the Bar Graph fell out.

Sittin' on Poppa's lap:



A look inside:



Welcome to the family, son!
Bar Graph repaired and some dodgy wiring replaced.







Here is what the Vostok paired with the Blacet sounds like. It is not based upon the 'patch' that you see in the photos.

http://upload.muffwiggler.com/Kent/Mini-WaveVsVostok.mp3

MAQ 16/3 is providing CV & Gate info to the Vostok via MIDI. The Vostok converts it to CV & Gate. The MAQ is determining tempo and pitch.

The first thing you hear are the oscillators at idle.
Then I hit 'Play' and the love begins
The Sawtooth wave of oscillator 1 on the Vostok is plugged into the Input of the MiniWave (MW). The MW tracks the incoming wave (as best it can) and outputs the same pitch of what ever wave(s) you have selected in the wavetable(s).
MIDI Gate is converted to Gate and is sent to the "Holy-Shit-It-Is-So-Awesome-I'm-Kinda-Shocked Binary Zone". Everyone should have one of these. NO excuses.
Binary Zone's Out goes to the CV input of the MW's Wave Select. This can be fine-tuned to switch waves in a subtle or extreme manner.

At times, like at 3:34, you can hear the Vostok's square waves all by themselves. The upper melody is all Mini Wave.
I do some switching around by having the MW (attempt) to follow the triangle wave of Osc 1. I also change the output levels of the Triangle and Sawtooth wave (4:50).
I then throw some 'Glide' on Osc 1 (5:00)

Then I drop the tempo to 50 BPM

Glide and tempo molestation go on until about 5:45

Then I start fucking with Bank Select manually.

Closes out with some Blacet & Vostok farts.

Thanks go out to Muff & Kwote for 'coaching' me through this deal. These modules are fun... and I haven't even gotten into the Improbability Drive yet.
consumed
excellent! SlayerBadger!

i love that christmas day feeling
probably too much
Kent
Dankeschön! I can't wait to pick up the loot that I ordered from Noisebug & AH! I've gone a little mental as of late... but, hey; I fuck'n deserve it. Everyone should treat themselves once in a while... spend a little wildly from time to time... but not on credit! d'oh!
Kwote
damn. it actually came through!! that sucks about the bar graph but for the deal you got i think it's all good.

i notice you keep mentioning the MW trying to track. could be certain settings but also the Blacet VCO is gauranteed for this application. it needs a sawtooth wave.

also noticed you have an empty socket in your MW. you know what that means.

you got 5 roms to choose from. http://www.hylander.com/mdroms.html

6 if you count the socket rocket which is available directly from blacet.

i got the scale quantizer for once i finally get my grubby hands on a MW.

also, have you tried quantizing the BZ with the MW? it's in Bank 15.

here man, i'm guessing he didn't include manuals,

http://blacet.com/MWmanualBasic.pdf

http://blacet.com/MWwaveguide.PDF

http://blacet.com/BZmanualBasic.pdf

http://blacet.com/IDmanualBasic.pdf

http://blacet.com/FilFmanualBasic.pdf

http://blacet.com/Multimanual.pdf

http://blacet.com/BGmanualBasic.pdf
parasitk
What a fantastic collection of modules SlayerBadger!

Great clip too. Nice and aggressive!
Kent
Sweet! SlayerBadger! Thanks for those, Kwote!

The seller was pretty much 95% honest about the modules. A couple of small things here and there, but hey; I used to be a service tech... I got the Bar Graph rewired in less than an hour and built better stand-offs, between the LED Bar Graphs and the PCB for it. The deal was bit 'too good to be true', but for once, it worked out positively.

I have a question though: Do Blacet kits usually ship with solid core wire? What a PITA for modules. I don't get it. Maybe he does this so the newb doesn't have to tin the wire? Or maybe so that they 'bend' into place and stay there?

I'm 600% definitely going to get the dopalicious expander for the MW. First thing when I get back home in September. Hmmm... maybe I should order it now and have it shipped to NYC.

Thanks again for the links. VERY much appreciated. Still trying to make sense of the ID.

I'm typing this as my wife is walking out of the room after having a go on the MW and BZ. A great pair of modules!
Kent
Thanks, parastik. I'm definitely liking the grit of the Vostok and MW.
Kwote
Kent wrote:
Sweet! SlayerBadger! Thanks for those, Kwote!

The seller was pretty much 95% honest about the modules. A couple of small things here and there, but hey; I used to be a service tech... I got the Bar Graph rewired in less than an hour and built better stand-offs, between the LED Bar Graphs and the PCB for it. The deal was bit 'too good to be true', but for once, it worked out positively.

I have a question though: Do Blacet kits usually ship with solid core wire? What a PITA for modules. I don't get it. Maybe he does this so the newb doesn't have to tin the wire? Or maybe so that they 'bend' into place and stay there?

I'm 600% definitely going to get the dopalicious expander for the MW. First thing when I get back home in September. Hmmm... maybe I should order it now and have it shipped to NYC.

Thanks again for the links. VERY much appreciated. Still trying to make sense of the ID.

I'm typing this as my wife is walking out of the room after having a go on the MW and BZ. A great pair of modules!


what you see is what you get with the wires. it's basically how all modules blacet, metalbox, bananalogue and diy is.

although blacet is starting to use non flying wire solutions like the window comparator:



that's the scariest thing about shipping modules or handling them in general. but then it's also probably one of the easiest thing to replace. fortunately i've had no issues.
Kent
Yeah, but solid-core vs. multi-strand... I thought that he must be trying to make a statement of some sort. I don't see the purpose there.

Anyhow... I'm off to probe the arcane recesses of the ID. w00t
consumed
i do not believe the wire blacet uses is solid core. i believe it is multistranded and tinned all the way through. i *love* working with blacet wire. it makes front panel work so much easier. i actually like wiring panels now.
Kwote
yeah sorry. i'm a bit dopey with the solid core multi strand terminology.

but yeah i'm with you consumed. wiring is starting to be all right for me.

i think my biggest fears will be diminished once i leave the comfort of Blacet DIY. i have 4 different CGS and 3 SNVoices to build so i'm gonna have to get over it. perfect opportunity.
eyehue
good luck with the system, Kent! great modules!

btw, every single one of my Blacet kits has come with stranded wire.
Kwote
that is a sweet fuckin soundclip by the way. mad grit and bass.
zerosum
Quote:

Here is what the Vostok paired with the Blacet sounds like. It is not based upon the 'patch' that you see in the photos.

http://upload.muffwiggler.com/Kent/Mini-WaveVsVostok.mp3

Trampoline R2D2 SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!



Quote:
"Holy-Shit-It-Is-So-Awesome-I'm-Kinda-Shocked Binary Zone". Everyone should have one of these. NO excuses.

I agree! Yes its a blast!

Are we hearing any filthy filtre in there?

Damn, you have a really fun inspiring studio w00t
Kent
Thanks for the kind and supportive comments, gents. They're very much appreciated. You should see the facing wall... Geetar Central.

Zerosum, you asked for it; you got it. However, it's 7 minutes long!: http://www.upload.muffwiggler.com/Kent/Mini-WaveVsFilthyFiltre.mp3

There are 2 places wherein the digital clocking for my interfaces goes to hell. I comment on it once, but ignore it the 2nd time. It does not happen again in the file. All of the other glitchy weirdness is actually the Filthy Filter itself. I've yet to look at the schematic, but I think he is using the LED diodes for clipping the signal. I suspect that these are partially responsible for some of the 'stepped' sounds that you'll hear.

I'd have done it over again, but I gotta jet!
Muff Wiggler
wow!! congrats Kent, that's so awesome that this worked out - what a deal!!!

I can tell you though - for SURE Blacet does NOT use solid-core wire, on their factory builds or in the kits. The guy must have used his own wire instead of what came with the kits. Shame as that solid core wire easily comes detached from it's solder points.... as I'm sure you know..

regardless, still an awesome deal and nothing you cannot redo yourself if it ever becomes problematic
Kent
Yah, mon... some of the wiring was shit so I dropped in some repairs where necessary and calibrated most of it. I'll have to attend to calibrating the rest later on as I'll be on vacation in about 32 hours! w00t

Thanks again for the Blacet k-nowledge. These things rule.
zerosum
Kent wrote:


Zerosum, you asked for it; you got it. However, it's 7 minutes long!: http://www.upload.muffwiggler.com/Kent/Mini-WaveVsFilthyFiltre.mp3

There are 2 places wherein the digital clocking for my interfaces goes to hell. I comment on it once, but ignore it the 2nd time. It does not happen again in the file. All of the other glitchy weirdness is actually the Filthy Filter itself. I've yet to look at the schematic, but I think he is using the LED diodes for clipping the signal. I suspect that these are partially responsible for some of the 'stepped' sounds that you'll hear.




headbang Dead Banana

thats fucking great!!!!!
Kent
I'm glad that it wasn't spoiled by my weasel-like 14 year old girl voice. Anything to help a brutha out!

I should have said "Cut the whole filter" and not "Bypass the filter" when the "Mode" knob is turned all of the way down. There isn't a real bypass button on it, although you can fake it, as with any filter, by turning the Q down and moving to Freq. to a suitable point.
Kwote
i wouldn't say squirrely. chipmunk like maybe.
Kwote
also the FF makes a good sine oscillator. tracks extremely well.
Kent
Hey, I sent an email to Hylander regarding the MW Expander and the email address is bunk. Anyone have anything besides expander at hylander dot com? 'cause that one is bunk.
Kwote
Kent wrote:
Hey, I sent an email to Hylander regarding the MW Expander and the email address is bunk. Anyone have anything besides expander at hylander dot com? 'cause that one is bunk.


is it bunk? hihi

here ya go:

david@hylander.com
Kent
Bunk you very much!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group