MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

New Frac Items...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Frac Items...
J3RK
Well, I've never really been able to keep my mouth shut as far as new things I'm working on go. hihi So, here's a continuation of the last few posts in the "Is this thing on?" thread. I've just finished a full set of new panels for a full set of new modules. These are basically very similar to other circuits that I've done, but adapted for ease of building in 3U, as well as adding new Frac exclusive functionality on some. The panels will accept either Johnson banana jacks or the 3.5mm LJE0352-4R jacks.

PCBs, panels, kits, bundles and complete modules will be available through Synthcube.

The PCB work is well on its way, so I'm guessing we'll start with a few modules, and work up from there.

This image will probably knock the thread a bit out of proportion, but it won't have enough detail otherwise.

noisefor
now that's some action!
rezzn8r
The Ultraflop looks fantastic hyper
What's the Indication module do?
fluxmonkey
schweet!
reignbear
dude! so good! any idea on how deep these will be on average?
slow_riot
yes! long live frac !
Cat-A-Tonic
w00t Blacet Blacet Blacet w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Level controls on Logic modules...
Can we assume these are analogue logic?
I mean like Max/Min, Peak/Trough...
Moog$FooL$
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
w00t Blacet Blacet Blacet w00t

yeah..... this!!
werock
Some great looking stuff there. Get your extra racks ordered everyone!
synthcube
we're not worthy

very very excited about this development
J3RK
reignbear wrote:
dude! so good! any idea on how deep these will be on average?

Thanks!

The PCBs are all parallel mounted, so depths (in Frac terms) are not all that big. Some of the more complex modules like the VCOs will have 2 PCBs. I typically use 3/4" aluminum hex standoffs for my PCB mounting, so depths are in increments of 3/4"+component height.
J3RK
I just noticed that I added the wrong version of the MultiState filter, that was in transition between two version. (so the one in the image is missing some jacks, and has others that won't be in the final) I'll update the image shortly.

Fixed.
J3RK
rezzn8r wrote:
The Ultraflop looks fantastic hyper
What's the Indication module do?

Thanks!

The Indication module is very simple. It's just four bipolar LED drivers. It's basically just for monitoring rate and phase of the input signal. If you have the Blacet Mixer Processor it will be similar to how those LEDs are set up.

I'm working on a 20 segment VU meter that works in unipolar or bipolar modes, has the trailing peak dots, etc. but that's a while off. I had a design ready for this, but then we decided to go with a different chip.
J3RK
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Level controls on Logic modules...
Can we assume these are analogue logic?
I mean like Max/Min, Peak/Trough...

I assume you mean the MixOR. Yes, this is an analog OR circuit with level controls for the inputs. It's a bit like the OR function on the Buchla 281. The XOR circuit is just a diode-based XOR, so no controls there. I just used bigger LEDs since there was more panel space available. This one has the logic level unipolar output, and also a differential amplifier output to shift the signal for bipolar audio use (as a pseudo ring-mod.)
J3RK
I've taken a modular-modular approach with these. I've created PCBs that can be used in multiple contexts within the system, mixed/matched/stacked/etc. This will allow for some pretty flexible configurations.

For example the VCO core used in the VCOs is the same PCB across the range. (even for the built in LFO for the FadeX) The wave-shapers for sine, saw, dual PWM comparators, etc. are on a second board. That way, if the application only needs triangle and square, the shaper board isn't necessary. (again like the FadeX which is the crossfader board stacked with the VCO core board) The wave-shaper board could also be used in other contexts like a dual variable comparator module because of the two PWM comparators. The sawtooth shaper can also make some interesting waveshapes when used with other waveforms or phases of waveforms.

There are VCAs anywhere they can go, and I try to make them usable individually as well as in the module context. This way there will always be extra available VCAs in the system. For example the FoldOMix is two Lockhart folder stages preceded by a VCA for each, and then a dry signal mix. The VCAs are used to control the folding, but can be switched out of the main signal path to be used individually. The FadeX can be used as a single VCA when patched that way, the Quad Quadrant can as well when used with a unipolar CV, the Output module has two VCAs that can be used individually or as voltage control for the channels, the Low Pass Gate, etc. etc. So, in theory, one could "Always have enough VCAs" w00t

I'll be posting more as I wrap up the remaining PCB designs.
recompas
Exciting! The stereo pulse VCO looks like it would be right up my alley. Nice to see more Frac offerings!
J3RK
Well, this is moving faster than I thought. We've decided on the first four modules/PCB batches/panels. I've ordered a test panel, and so these will be available sometime in the next few weeks.

2U - Stereo Pulse VCO
Triangle Core VCO that tracks around 8 octaves well. It has linear FM input, reset sync, VCO/LFO modes, and bipolar LED for rate and phase indication.
It has Triangle, Sawtooth, and two PWM outputs. The reason for two is that they have independent pulse-width controls (CV and manual each). When combined with a crossfader or splicer this can make a stepped pulse. When the two pulse waves are sent to the stereo output mixer, it create a very spacious stereo effect. It can also make some interesting offset clocks when in LFO mode.

2U - FadeX Plus
This is a voltage controlled linear crossfader/panner/VCA. It also has a built in V/Oct VCO (the same core as the SPVCO above. This VCO can be used to control the fading/panning, used as a stand-alone VCO, etc. If the triangle and square are routed to the fader inputs, this becomes a voltage controlled waveform VCO much like the Buchla 258.

2U - Stereo Output
This is a Stereo Output Mixer. It has level controls and panning controls for each channel, and can be used as a little submixer, output stage, etc. It's designed to use the OPA2604 op amp, and set up to drive low or high impedance loads. This will easily drive headphones, and includes a jack for this. There are two AC coupled VCAs that can be used individually, or as voltage control for the inputs of the mixer. When used with the FadeX, and/or SPVCO, a lot of stereo effect, auto-panning, etc. are possible.

1U - Opto-Gate
This is my take on the standard resonant low pass gate. The topology is similar, but not quite the same as the Buchla. I typically use VTL5C1 vactrols which are faster, and have a wider dynamic range than the more common 5C3. This allows for audio rate modulation. Then, in order to get more of a ring/trail one can simply turn up the offset very slightly. The extra dynamic range of the 5C1 will allow this without leaking much if any signal. There are two CV inputs, one with attenuator for doing FM, since these will respond well to it. Otherwise, pretty much what you'd expect.

I'll post more details as they become available.
werock
Thanks for the extra info. Good to see the same multi function per module approach that Blacet uses being used here, as well as some fairly unique designs by the look of it.
solitaryzen
Interesting stuff. Will quarter inch outputs be provided on the stereo output module?
rezzn8r
J3RK wrote:
I've ordered a test panel, and so these will be available sometime in the next few weeks.

hyper MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy

In for a Stereo Output, and 1 (possibly 2) Opto-Gates.
This is all very exciting!
SlayerBadger!
chris_g
Wow! I might have to jump to Frac just for these modules! This is fantastic! Guinness ftw! It's peanut butter jelly time! This is fun!
Hermetech Mastering
Very cool to see!
Isaiah
J3RK
This is the first time I've been attracted to Frac.
I really don't want to build or buy Eurorack, but I like the potential for shallow cases.
These could form the basis of a very gig-friendly banana system to complement my planned 4U CGS/Serge stuff.

Do the PCBs (with the exception of the Dual VCO and Ultraflop) have standardised dimensions and mounting hole placements?
Could I, for example, mount two Opto Gates behind a 2U panel?
What about stacking a FadeX and an Opto Gate?
Thanks in advance!
thresholdpeople
These look fantastic.

I'm interested in making a banana version. Are there any normals that will require the panels to be modified for a switch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7