MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WMD SSF Blender as a mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author WMD SSF Blender as a mixer
Dogma
http://www.ctrl-mod.com/SSF-WMD-Blender-p/ssf-wmd-blender.htm

So I need a mixer badly and Im building an L1 Quad VCA mixer and the Stereo Mixer but thats not for another month or 2 so I need something to get me out of trouble. What do you think about this? Super useful qhen I get a proper mixer and if you set the pots for 1-2 and 3-4 should be OK as far as i can see
ym2612
I was thinking of getting this for the purpose, to replace an MA Mix with a scratchy pot. I don't always need a mixer for a submix, but it would be useful for some CV mixing/crossfading.

I'm a big fan of this collaboration line so far. I've got the Mini-Slew and the SPO. They're well-built and really smart spins on some well-worn concepts.
ben_hex
Should be a great 4 channel mixer on basic mixing until your L-1 is built then it's free for more creative cv controlled blending etc.
Bogus
ben_hex wrote:
then it's free for more creative cv controlled blending

CV controlled blending of CV MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Flohr
One issue I could see is if you are using all 4 ins there would be know way to get silence. That may be no issue for you depending on your system/purposes. I'm definitely considering the blender over the uFade or Malekko Fade.
quadrupole

Just grabbed one of these, and I must say, it's great module. The sound is absolutely transparent.

However, I just wanna point something out for others who might be considering it. I was hoping that the inputs labeled 'Fade A' and 'Fade B' were CV controls for crossfading the signals going into the 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 inputs. Eg. this would be like turning the Blend 1-2(A) or Blend 3-4(B) knobs. In fact, this is not the case.

The 'Fade A' and 'Fade B' allow for putting signals directly into the voltage controlled crossfader.

So, the Blender can CV crossfade between two sets of manually blended signals, or can serve as three independent 2-->1 mixers, one of which has CV control of the x-fade.

So, while not quite delivering the 4-way churning sound I was imagining, the Blender is still incredibly useful. And, I would say stacks up favorably against other x-fade modules.
matttech
Yeah - I'm really not sure why I didn't order a load of these in my first shipment. Just remedied that this week though

Can't wait to have a play with this on something like the PDO, with all its multiple outs
Dogma
Im getting a bit of money shortly and Im gonna buy up a few more of these modules. Right now I only have the filter and its freakin great in every way and the blender will be perfect for PDO (as you said) HDII.....How different will it sound compared to the Malekko Fade?
mheumann
I couldn't find this answer in the manual, so I thought I'd ask it here: is Blender DC coupled, so I can use it as a CV mixer?
yes u can.
matttech
The Blender is a really excellent bit of kit - it has absolutely ZERO bleed between channels (when they are all the way to one side), which is always appreciated

The VC crossfader works perfectly, and that doesn't bleed AT ALL either (certainly not on my Doepfer Case-based system anyway)

It's a really fun little unit, and tons of inspiration pours forth when you stick an interesting selection of sound sources into it
clarte
This is perfect for my drone experiments, thanks for the heads up.
d.thomas
Bogus wrote:
CV controlled blending of CV MY ASS IS BLEEDING

So far my favorite CV mixer.
Flohr
Yeah audiorate crossfading of two different cvs with the blender is pretty crazy. It's a great module. The no zero issue I mentioned earlier before I had one isn't a big deal. If I'm doing a patch where I need to zero it out I either run the mixed out into something that has an attenuator on it's input (MA35 for example) or I just use 2 or 3 of the 4 inputs.
schege
Great module, yes. But! Only as long as your CV doesn't have to be precise. For my performance rack I wanted crossfade between quantited signals whitch go to 1v/oct inputs. I have 3 of these (very handy) Blender modules, but none of them was doing this job without bastardizing the signal. Sometimes with more than 1 semitone difference to the original.
There are some trimmers on the backside of the module. Maybe they can be calibrated so they process signals 1:1. ??? Doese anyone have experiences with it?
WMDevices
schege wrote:
Great module, yes. But! Only as long as your CV doesn't have to be precise. For my performance rack I wanted crossfade between quantited signals whitch go to 1v/oct inputs. I have 3 of these (very handy) Blender modules, but none of them was doing this job without bastardizing the signal. Sometimes with more than 1 semitone difference to the original.
There are some trimmers on the backside of the module. Maybe they can be calibrated so they process signals 1:1. ??? Doese anyone have experiences with it?

The trimmers are for the CV rejection calibration. Not for level control. The Blender is not a super-precision device intended for blending 1v/octave signals.

I would recommend using a switch for changing between V/oct signals.
schege
Actually I want to blend between quantized v/oct and unquantized (CV up into audiorange for FM) signals.
In 1: CV after quantization
In 2: CV before quantizatio
same with In 3/4

So both blend controls fully ccw should led the original v/oct thru.
One of the 3 Blenders I have does it (the other two don’t do it precisely)
But now a third osc should get the signal from the OUT A/B crossfade.
But this signal goes is all over the place. Also when I patch directly into FADE A.
What comes out is "miles away" from what goes in.

What is the problem here. It seems like a simple task.
The Tripple Bipolar VCA e.g. does it very good. So why not the Blender?
joem
Pitch CV needs to be very precisely handled (electronics-wise) otherwise it's very easy to hear the differences that less precise components impart on the signal. If a device is not specifically built with that in mind, they usually do not have the high precision (and more expensive) components needed for handling pitch CV.
in_sherman
quadrupole wrote:

The 'Fade A' and 'Fade B' allow for putting signals directly into the voltage controlled crossfader.

Damnit, I wish I knew this... I expected the functionality you mentioned, thought I was using it wrong, thought I consulted documentation, never could get it to work how I wanted but it was on me. I need to re-buy this thing now d'oh!
khyber
Just got one of these in the mail over the weekend. Very cool design, anxious to put the mixer through its paces. I had seen a video about the Verbos Scan & Pan and was very intrigued by the sounds it could produce by fading across channels.

While the Blender cannot replicate 100% of the features of the Scan & Pan, it seems like it can do a very similar trick across 2 channels (both which can accept 2 signals, a total of 4 signals across both channels). A 4 channel mixer (essentially) in 6 HP is pretty great but with the addition of all the crossfading and panning (with no channel bleed) this will like become my travel case's go-to mixing solution
Bachelard
In the absence of my Mackie 1202 this week that I lent to a friend, I used the Blender as a substitute effects send. The sum out of my Zlob VIncursal VCA/mixer goes to Blender Ch 1 and also split into my Reflex Liveloop (as both a delay and as looper) and Aeverb mk2, and the output of those go into Blender 3 & 4 (sadly in mono from each effect), and the X-Fade knob is my dry/wet mix. With the 3+4 knob I can then also mix between the two effects, kind of like the Aux control on the XAOC Praga. Some compromises, but it works.
schege
@joen "Pitch CV needs to be very precisely handled"
A Doepfer A-138e 4-way crossfader for the price of 80 euros or even a cheaper A-134-2 can handle pitch cv without a problem (there are other downsizes - I like the concept of the blender too much, to be not disappointed).

@wmd I don't want to switch to another sequence, I want to slowly blend! transforming 1 sequence into another
It’s a cool module, but I would give it more love, if it would be more precise with cv signals. I mean even pitch cv before quantizer! But when my Eloquencer says C the Blender transforms it into a voltage value that my O-C quanizer interprets it as a Dflat or B. (with the controls of the Blender fully cw or ccw) I tried out 3 different Blenders – always the same results. Too bad! It would be absolutely killer, if the module could do this, a revision would be worth it, I think. I use a cheap Doepfer A-134-2 now, with manual offsets, it does pitch correctly, but is of corse is not as clever as the concept of the Blender.
I was looking for alternatives but did not found anything. Maybe Planar, but its actually too expensive for this task.
maltemark
Does anyone know what the expected voltage range for the x-fade CV input is for full left to right modulation?
deftinwulf
Quote:
However, I just wanna point something out for others who might be considering it. I was hoping that the inputs labeled 'Fade A' and 'Fade B' were CV controls for crossfading the signals going into the 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 inputs. Eg. this would be like turning the Blend 1-2(A) or Blend 3-4(B) knobs. In fact, this is not the case.

So, the Blender can CV crossfade between two sets of manually blended signals, or can serve as three independent 2-->1 mixers, one of which has CV control of the x-fade.

I asked this exact question to WMD's support email over a month ago and got no response, so this is a very helpful thread. Turns out the module can't do what I want to do, and since it apparently can't handle v/oct signals without affecting pitch either, I'll have to keep looking.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1