MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley PSU + 2 Dizzy's?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley PSU + 2 Dizzy's?
involver
Hi there,

Am I right in thinking I can attach 2 Oakley Dizzy PCBs to a single Oakley PSU without problems as long as I don't exceed the output current capacity of the transformer or overheat the regulators (eg. 800mA from a Yamaha PA20)?
Synthbuilder
involver wrote:
Am I right in thinking I can attach 2 Oakley Dizzy PCBs to a single Oakley PSU without problems as long as I don't exceed the output current capacity of the transformer or overheat the regulators (eg. 800mA from a Yamaha PA20)?

Yes.

The Low Noise PSU was designed to be used with two Dizzies. More Dizzies may be used for access to even more headers, or just because it helps with cabling.

The Compact PSU wasn't specifically designed for use with the Dizzy since it already has seven headers on board. However, there is nothing to stop you connecting a Dizzy up to one of the headers and having a whole bunch of other modules connected.

Tony
involver
What is the advantage to using the more expensive Low Noise PSU compared to the Compact PSU?
Synthbuilder
involver wrote:
What is the advantage to using the more expensive Low Noise PSU compared to the Compact PSU?

Different solutions for different situations. Both have their disadvantages and advantages and which one you chose will be dependent on your needs.

The Low Noise PSU is a very stable tracking power supply. One pot sets both rails and as the +ve rail drifts over time the -ve one tracks it. This helps with module calibration stability - but probably not enough to get worried about.

The Low Noise PSU will generally run cooler thanks to the more generous heatsinks and is recommended for high current supplies. The Compact one will deliver up to 1A per rail but the heatsinks will get very hot and this is not recommended.

Short circuit protection is better on the Low Noise PSU. It is actively limited to 800mA or so and should protect both itself and the power pack should you short or miswire any module. The Compact PSU relies partially on the three terminal device's internal current and thermal limits and the fuses. Although, this is fairly rugged it is not as fault proof as the Low Noise PSU.

Finally, the Low Noise PSU makes it easy to use multiple Dizzy boards - although admittedly it is not that difficult to wire up an extra Dizzy board on a Compact PSU either.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1