MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adafruit UNTZtrument - MIDI grid controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Adafruit UNTZtrument - MIDI grid controller
Eloc
Hey Wigglers,

Has anyone out there built/seen Adafruit's UNTZtrument? It's an arduino based MIDI button grid controller with LEDs (monome-esque type deal). *link*

I've just built mine and added a few things hardware-wise; some input/output jacks for clock/gate etc and some encoders. I don't have much experience programming, so I'm just trying to getting to grips with implementing the functions I had in mind.

There's not really much out there I can find in terms of arduino sketches that people have documented or uploaded for the UNTZtrument so I was wondering if anyone here was playing around with this thing? There seems to be a lot of possibilities, but seemingly very little published activity with it on the interwebs.
indigoid
I've successfully built the 128-pad "Hella UNTZ" version. Works nicely with GarageBand. But haven't done much else with it.

I found it a massive PITA to get the Arduino IDE to upload code to. It worked perfectly the first time... and every time since then I've had to hit Upload in the IDE and then at the right time, hit the reset button on the board. My success rate has been very low. Pretty irritating. Arduino Leonardo really was a step backward in this regard.

But I do want to do more with it. When the lasercutter at my local hackerspace is fixed I'd like to make a couple of custom panels
burdij
indigoid wrote:

I found it a massive PITA to get the Arduino IDE to upload code to. It worked perfectly the first time... and every time since then I've had to hit Upload in the IDE and then at the right time, hit the reset button on the board. My success rate has been very low. Pretty irritating. Arduino Leonardo really was a step backward in this regard.

As I have doing the testing on the USB MIDI host module, I have been using the UNTZ64 version as a test case. I found that there is a way to get uploads to the Leonardo to work consistently. Before you press UPLOAD in the Arduino environment, you need to sneak a small screwdriver into the area of the reset button and press and hold it. Then, while holding it down, click the UPLOAD. Continue to hold the button down until the screen prompt indicating that the upload has started appears. Then release the button.

This looks like a great hackable product that could be used with a hosting adapter and a keyboard or control surface to make a customizable live performance setup. Here is a picture of the unit that I had at Knobcon. I had it hooked up to the USB MIDI host prototype module.

Sparky
@burdij "USB MIDI host module" - tell me more!?! Sounds very interesting..
Eloc
I've been employing the 'unplug the USB then plug it back in and hit upload immediately' technique to avoid having to get to the reset switch, and I've been getting a decent success rate.

Are you guys using one of the example codes or have you written something completely new? burdij, the UNTZtrument in that picture looks like it's running something other than the example sketches?

If anyone is willing to upload any of their sketches for the UNTZ to github or something, that would be very much appreciated. It would be really helpful for me to see how other people have implemented certain functions with this device; as I said I'm pretty new to programming and so I've basically just been tinkering with the example sketches. Adafruit's documentation isn't the best so it's not the easiest thing to decipher.

It's a great little device thus far, even if it is a bit of a learning curve for me.
burdij
Sparky wrote:
@burdij "USB MIDI host module" - tell me more!?! Sounds very interesting..

I have two new Eurorack modules, the GMS-632 which is a USB/MIDI/CV interface module that produces two CV and two gate outputs. Its similar to a CVPal. The other is an extender module, the GMS-632x, which adds some analog and digital I/O and a USB Host function that extends the Teensy 3.1 on the 632 module so that it can host class compliant USB devices.

Eloc wrote:
burdij, the UNTZtrument in that picture looks like it's running something other than the example sketches?

I wrote some additional classes for the Adafruit sequencer example for the UNTZ to improve the clock control and to add some analog sequencer output functions using encoders on the UNTZ. I would be happy to put these in a GitHub project. Is there one?
indigoid
Contribute them back to the Adafruit project? That is on Github.

link: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_UNTZtrument
Eloc
Could someone not create a github repository where wigglers could upload sketches for the UNTZ?
retrocactus
Eloc wrote:
Hey Wigglers,

I've just built mine and added a few things hardware-wise; some input/output jacks for clock/gate etc and some encoders.

Hey Eloc - were you successful in getting the input/output jacks working? Or is that what you were looking for help/examples with? If so, how did you wire them?

I just finished building mine (hated the soldering bridges between boards and messed up one that I had to fix).

I'm actually kind of surprised how little Adafruit supported this project...was hoping it 'did more' out of the box but it really is meant for hacking (writing arduino code) on vs a more polished/useful project like they normally publish.

I'd like add a couple encoders (tempo would be a good start) and some in/out jacks to integrate it with my eurorack stuff if I can find a little more guidance on how to do that.
Z3ch@
Did you get any further with this project, eloc and retrocactus? I so wanna use monome closer to way it was intended but the with programming on that end and on the duino side too, ugh. I've been paying good money to get "out of the box" so paying $500+ to back in even more seems a little counter intuitive but I REALLY could use a 128 grid to extend my mixes...
davidschwan1
I just got mine working last week. I built mine sometime in spring of last year. The Arduino version was like 1.5 or 1.6, and I never could get the code to compile and upload. Two weeks ago I was having trouble uploading code to my "Euclidian" some weird avrdude message, got the latest Arduino envirornment 1.8.0 and still had problem, eventually I found in preferences some 1.5 version stuff, deleted it and upload worked fine. Then I went back a week later to my Untz, updated the code and noticed specific warning about Arduino 1.5. With 1.8 had no issues.

I'm think of modifying simpleseq to dedicate the bottom and top rows to other functions, like tempo change etc.
satori
Anyone using this with Eurorack? How does it work?
nullpunkt
Is it possible to use the UNTZtrument with the Monome-Modules (White Whale etc.)?
djthopa
Necromancing this post as im about to build two of the adafruit untz instruments, the 8x8 and the 8x16.

Thinking on using it with the expert sleepers fh1 since it can do usb to cv, but i was wondering what progress have others made since this post is quite old now.

Obviously i would like to use it also as a serial osc device, so it could be used with monome templates, but information is small.

Hoping someone can point me out to some useful hinters!

Thanks
mongrol
Have you seen the new RGB neotrellis?
djthopa
mongrol wrote:
Have you seen the new RGB neotrellis?

I cant spend more money cry
djthopa
Can a kind soul explain how to sync the untz to a midi clock?

I literally have spent the last 24 hours trying to figure this out.

Found a few arduino sketches that claim to have midi sync, but rely on old versions of arsuino, teensduino, teenonduino....i dont know how many combinations i have tried, none have clock sync.

The only one that works is the untzinstrument and it does not have midi sync.

No sync = not of any use Dead Banana
Phitar
djthopa wrote:

Found a few arduino sketches that claim to have midi sync, but rely on old versions of arsuino, teensduino, teenonduino....i dont know how many combinations i have tried, none have clock sync.

Have you asked the Adafruit folks? A few years back when I was playing with their stuff on a daily basis I always found them to be quite helpful whenever I had any issues.
djthopa
Phitar wrote:
djthopa wrote:

Have you asked the Adafruit folks? A few years back when I was playing with their stuff on a daily basis I always found them to be quite helpful whenever I had any issues.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I posted on the Adafruit forums a few days back. Literally no answer.

I have been looking at other peoples sketches and reading on the internet.

I had never had to deal with midi clock so complete new stuff for me. I even though to put a couple of jacks on the top of the case and sync it via analog clock (which is an alternative).

But anyway i found the midiusb (or usbmidi) library by forty seven effects. Its a midi library for arduino. Im making small progress, but very very slowly.

Im at the point where arduino can recognize start / stop/ continue midi messages and now im trying to make a sequencer that reacts to those messages.

Had to learn (sort of) that i need to store steps in an array and rewrite them back in the leds after the tempo scroll row clears all the leds.

Having the leds wired in arrays of 16 like the adafruit trellis does not make it (at least from my fried brain) any easier.

Yesterday i had a very simple sketch responding to external clock, and i was like yes! Then i checked it against the clock of my daw and its all over the place.

Also making some progress on using the untz as a monone enulator, but thats another story.

Thanks for your help, hopefully ill get something worth using or ill end up selling the two untzs i have built (8*8 and 16*8) Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1