MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Controlling Deerhorn Oscillators with no Deerhorn?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Controlling Deerhorn Oscillators with no Deerhorn?
thresholdpeople
Hi everyone,

I have a Deerhorn unit, it is the older style, 3x Deerhorns, no audio inputs.

I suppose it would have to be a mod, but is there a way to bypass the Deerhorn antennae with external CV?

What do the audio inputs do on PB Deerhorns? Do they bypass the oscillators, and the horns control the amplitude of the signal?

Thanks!
Dirty_Bill
thresholdpeople wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a Deerhorn unit, it is the older style, 3x Deerhorns, no audio inputs.

I suppose it would have to be a mod, but is there a way to bypass the Deerhorn antennae with external CV?

What do the audio inputs do on PB Deerhorns? Do they bypass the oscillators, and the horns control the amplitude of the signal?

Thanks!

Do you mean a Deerhorn organ? The Audio Ins run an external signal through the Dearhorn-controled VCAs...

If you have the same PCB, it's probably possible to add the Ins, but non-Trivial...
thresholdpeople
Yes, I have the Deerhorn organ, but it is the older version with no audio inputs.

I've had to open it a couple of times to be able to reach the calibration capacitors easily.

It defeats the entire point of the instrument to bypass the deerhorns, but I've got a ribbon controller, and I think it'd be interested to try controlling the oscillators that way as well.

Sorry, thinking out loud a bit... I'd need a way to trigger the VCAs using the ribbon..

This is all most likely unnecessary. hihi

I just recently got the ribbon controller and have been using it parallel to the deerhorn, and just started using it to modulate the oscillators. It would/may be nice to be able to leave the VCAs open to be able to modulate the oscillators..
wednesdayayay
don't blame me if something breaks

I have had much success turning the tuning knob for the deerhorn all the way up and inserting a signal like the rollz orange output into the orange "output" of the deerhorn this plays the two pitches/channels like a sequencer almost
thresholdpeople
I won't blame you! (Have you broken anything yet? hihi)

Thanks for the tip! I forgot about the calibration pot -- that tends to keep one VCA or other open consistently.

The sequencing sounds very interesting! I'm a little nervous to send a non-CL signal output to the Deerhorn's output.. I'll have to remember this one day when I get my hands on a PB.
wednesdayayay
what kind of ribbon controller? the meng qi one should be fine 0-9 volts should be ok too

I just hooked up the ribbon I bought (to the MWRS of the PB (no clock so just a static +9v signal) and the ground of the CQ/PB) it works well enough to trigger the deerhorn Ill upload a short video
thresholdpeople
Yup, it's the Meng Qi CL Expander ribbon.

I'd love to check out the video when you get a chance to make it.

I'm more worried about other gear not being too happy with output to output, even though the Deerhorn can take it.
wednesdayayay
you could send the output of the ribbon pitch to the cv splitter (there are 2 one input to 2 output cv splitters that are great with the cocoquantus' triangle outputs or originally for the avdogs orange output) so that there is diode protection between the deerhorn and pitch output of the expander

MQ may have allowed for some kind of protection in his circuit already maybe ask him as well

I originally had MQ make the expander I would really like another one sometime soon

thresholdpeople
Wow. This adds a whole new layer to the Deerhorns!

Thanks for the videos Wednesdayayay!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1