MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

about Texas Double Whopper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author about Texas Double Whopper
governor blacksnake
Texas Double Whopper was composed in 2006 by Theron Humiston and Scott Jaeger. At the time we had a fascination with process overshadowing the result in academic music and high art, so we were thinking of something strange to present at a concert. We were "brainstorming" and Theron came up with the awesome idea of processing the sound of a Texas Double Whopper with a totally straight face. We had been eating at Burger King daily at that point, and I had just become comfortable with my modular performance skills. Theron explained how he would use pieces of the Whopper to alter the behavior of a turntable playing a Wham! record while I would process the results in realtime. At the time I just had a few Doepfer modules, not even a full suitcase.

The concert took place in an old church in Evanston, IL... stained glass windows, very high ceilings, great acoustics. Most of our composer friends were in attendance. The performances were really good. Jonathan Kirk's "Orgone Motor" featuring some well-tuned live granular sampling and Joann Cho on piano, another one of Casey Farina's fantastic nonlinear scores, and another piece I don't remember well that featured two single reed players wearing leather vests on each side of the church, playing their instruments in a crude and exaggerated manner. When the time came to perform Texas we draped the church microphone over the monitor speaker we were using, and made the recording from that. I was satisfied at the amount of room acoustics that made it to disk. I set my modular system up on the altar with the Wham! record nearby, and Theron performed with the turntable towards the front of the stage. The recordings of that night were made with an ancient CD recorder borrowed from the Northwestern University Electronic Music Studio (1972-2006).

I was dissatisfied with the process of getting meaningful live-sampled audio in and out of my Doepfer A-112, so I sold it and used the funds to develop the Tyme Sefari (specifically for future performances of this piece).. I moved away from Chicago a year later and we didn't get to do the piece until last month at the T_A/xart synth meet. I guess we are aiming at a "proper" academic presentation with program notes and score and everything, for an audience that's into that kind of thing. If that ever happens then the piece will have reached its full extent of realization.
Kent
Sound files or it never happened!!

(Ah, come on... you said that you recorded it...)

Fucking hilarious story, BTW.
xart
governor blacksnake wrote:
If that ever happens then the piece will have reached its full extent of realization.

What the fukc do you mean if this "every happens"? hmmm..... IT DID HAPPEN! The chicago center for anal-log arts and experimental media research (xart) was truly honored to host your performance of TDW in a very academic environment ! hihi
felix
Kent wrote:
Sound files or it never happened!!

How about muh fuckin video son! (toward the end)
Kent
Fucks, yeah!
johnnymad
nice. i'll never look at a whopper the same way again.
J3RK
I very much wish I could have been at that one. Looks incredibly fun. It's like the full-sized industry-to-do version of my micro-modular get togethers (usually consisting of 3-5 people, wine and cigars. smile (no cigars are smoked near the equipment) Or anywhere near the house for that matter Mr. Green
Waz
I saw no scores when I watched the live performance. Was this composed via linear timeline sheets or did you notate it? Or is it improv? I'm honestly curious. Some of the composers at our school have come up with some crazy things and it's always fun to see how they wrote it all down.

Either way it was fucking awesome! I'm glad I could be there.
governor blacksnake
Waz wrote:
I saw no scores when I watched the live performance. Was this composed via linear timeline sheets or did you notate it? Or is it improv? I'm honestly curious. Some of the composers at our school have come up with some crazy things and it's always fun to see how they wrote it all down.

Either way it was fucking awesome! I'm glad I could be there.

The piece is improv with some loose behavioral guidelines. We know EXACTLY how it needs to be notated in the future, I look forward to that day.

I have an audio recording of the 2006 performance but it doesn't make much sense on its own, if you're not able to see the spectacle of Theron performing his turntable action.
deastman
governor blacksnake wrote:
We had been eating at Burger King daily at that point
That stuff will kill you. Best left to pseudo-academic experimental music performance. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
wwbjd
Any chance of a rack version of the TDW?
suitandtieguy
xart wrote:
The Chicago Center for Anallog Arts and Experimental Media Research (xart) was truly honored

I should add that I was honored to share the programme portion of the Chinese New Year Afterparty and Winter Electronic Music Symposium with such a significant performance by my esteemed colleague.
Illiac
Capital lectures, both of you.
computer controlled
Looks like i missed a fun time. That poor poor 1200! Or should i say needle. How did that patty sound? TG eat your heart out!

I really liked the track playing for the first 1/4 part of the vid. Wer war das?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1