MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stumbling Little LFO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Stumbling Little LFO
Noiseconformist
Hi,

one of my three Little LFOs (version 4 with speed switch) sort of stumbles when increasing or decreasing it's speed by turning the knob.
When I turn slowly enough then it's almost not recognisable, fast turns bring it to a short but distinct halt. The other LFOs in the same module are ok (I did several cross-checks).
I looked at it but I'm running out of ideas what could be wrong.
Any hints are appreciated!

Thanks a lot - Michael.
Synthbuilder
Could be a dying frequency pot...

Issue 4 PCBs have the old green Omeg pot don't they? May be better ripping them all out and fitting 16mm Alphas. You can fit them straight into the PCB. Don't bother fitting the pot bracket - it won't fit - and since the boards are small it should still be held firm enough.

You can clean the Omegs though. A small drop of De-Oxit 'D5' or 'Faderlube' should help. Apply it to the base of the pot on the inside, with the PCB held upside down so the liquid runs onto the pot. Then give it a good rotating.

Tony
Noiseconformist
Thanks Tony, I sprayed the pot and appears as if it's ok for the time being.
I'd have to replace a lot of pots meanwhile, but as long as the spraying method helps ... ;-)
Michael.
Noiseconformist
Synthbuilder wrote:

May be better ripping them all out and fitting 16mm Alphas. You can fit them straight into the PCB. Don't bother fitting the pot bracket - it won't fit - and since the boards are small it should still be held firm enough.

I just checked your Alpha pot posting: what about the front panel?
You write the 16mm Alphas need a smaller drilling?

Regarding the bracket, what's recommended for large PCBs like Multiladder or the VCO? That's three pots to hold the PCB without a bracket?
Thanks, Michael.
Synthbuilder
Noiseconformist wrote:
I just checked your Alpha pot posting: what about the front panel? You write the 16mm Alphas need a smaller drilling?

Yes, in any new panel design the hole size is 7mm to 7.5mm.

However, in older panels the bigger hole is not much of a problem. The nut and washer of the new pot covers the hole but you'll need to centralise the pot carefully as you tighten it up.

Noiseconformist wrote:
Regarding the bracket, what's recommended for large PCBs like Multiladder or the VCO? That's three pots to hold the PCB without a bracket?

There's not really a recommended way as such. The only ways I can see are cludges of some sort.

1. Don't use the pot bracket and be careful with the board. There's a lot of modules in Euro land that have no pot or board supports.

2. Use the new Alpha bracket we sell and fit the 16mm pot in upside down. Hand wire the pots to the pot's PCB pads.

3. Use a Stooge style PCB bracket.
Noiseconformist
okie-dokie - I'll look at it when it's necessary to change pots and decide individually what to do.
My priorities are ruggedness vs. weight vs. aesthetics ... I can't afford a failing module when playing live.
thanks, Michael. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1