MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What to put the dotcom 44-cab onto?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author What to put the dotcom 44-cab onto?
mosaiclive
Like some of you already know, I've got a dotcom system coming to me soon. I've been trying to figure out what to set the whole thing up on- a desk, keyboard stand, table...? Any opinions from people here who've solved this problem would be much appreciated. I'd like something that works well with the cabinet but doesn't break my already broken bank!
suitandtieguy
metro shelving or a double-braced x-stand would work
bf
Any of those... or something constructed from an erector set. Check goodwill or craigslist. Chances are you won't like the first thing you set it on for one reason or another. Too tall, too short, not deep enough, wish it had a second lower shelf, wish it had an extra foot of tabletop to put the machinedrum, blar blar blar. Better off you don't spend a knot on it, and let it teach you what you really want in a table/stand/shelf.
1nput0utput
Put it on top of another 44-space cabinet…
bwhittington
Particularly with a 22-space cabinet on top, think sturdy. If you are thinking cheap, buy a non-plastic folding table. Otherwise, something in the desk direction works well. You could use a keyboard stand, but that will start to feel top-heavy under the weight of multiple cabinets. I've bought a lot of beautiful antique desks at yard sales for under $50. Or a sturdy new product might work well for you. Just keep in mind that wood cabinets filled with modules are rather heavy.

Cheers,
Brian
sunsinger
Maybe those old plastic milk cartons you can steal from the back of Safeway stores? I had my darkroom stuff on those in the 80's.
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:
You could use a keyboard stand, but that will start to feel top-heavy under the weight of multiple cabinets.

While this is true, it's not as unstable as you might think. I've had a 5-tier rig on a Z-shape keyboard stand since 2007, after seeing a guy on the Dotcom list who had some insane 7- or 8-tier system on one and dialoging with him about it.

It's not as solid as a desk or table, but workable if you prefer the aesthetics.
sunsinger
All kidding aside STG's suggestion of a X Brace keyboard stand is what I'm using. I put a 1" pine tabletop on it and some bracing. That's sturdy enough to take a pounding for about $50 bucks. I use Quick Grip clamps in the back to clamp the synth to the tabletop. Bessy clamps are low profile and work really well. All of that stuff is invisible because its in the back, so it doesn't screw with the aesthetics.
NV
I found a solid and attractive mahogany hardwood desk/table with the width and length I wanted on Craigslist after checking once a day for a few days. I bought it for $30, spent 15 minutes polishing, cleaning, and touching it up, and everything fits together securely and aesthetically with no wobbling, creaking, or other hints of impending doom. Plus it has a few small drawers which are perfect for holding various modular knickknacks like mounting screws and screwdrivers, a small flashlight, and 1/4"-1/8"cable adapters.

Just type "desk" or "table" in the Craigslist search and have an idea of what measurements you're looking for. Chances are it won't take long to find something that will work for you.
sandyb
i like having my 5U stuff on a table. feels nice and solid. and who wants to sit at one eating in the kitchen anyway? Dead Banana
chromium
I snagged a Hammond M3 locally (spinets can be had cheap of CL, sometimes even free if you get lucky) for the express purpose of propping up the dotcom cabs. To bf's point, I immediately found that some desk space in front of it is helpful, so it quickly moved over onto a big desk. Hammond now holds up the old behemoth CS.
russma
If you're considering used furniture, maybe look for a cheap used credenza. They seem to be about the right size and have the bonus of storage.

essex sound lab
idiotboy wrote:
If you're considering used furniture, maybe look for a cheap used credenza. They seem to be about the right size and have the bonus of storage.

Nice idea.
sduck
Maybe a good question would be, about how much does a loaded 44U cab weigh?

I have a similarly sized 48U motm cabinet (2x24U), made with red oak, and my guess is that loaded with modules it's about 100 lbs. Just guessing though. Certainly seems to weigh a ton whenever I have to move it. By itself I wouldn't mind putting it on any of the suggestions here, but I also have 2 24U cabs that sit on top of it, and all together they weigh a ton. I have a smallish table from an office supply place that was designed for heavy loads - holding up file cabinets I think.
mosaiclive
Great ideas- thanks. I think I'm leaning toward a desk style solution. I like the idea of it being really sturdy and have possible storage options as a bonus. I actually have my Voyager on a small desk that rolls around so I can move it if necessary and it's pretty sturdy. I think I'll start with CraigsList this weekend.
bf
Searching craigslist for office furniture normally turns up some interesting options as well.
pugix
I suggest a strong wood table. My dot com cabinets are on a cherry table 60w x 30h x 36d (inches).

http://pugix.com/synth/studio-2009/

It must weigh a lot! That photo is out of date. I replaced the cheap computer desk on the right with another oak table matching the one on the left. The portable cabinets are now stacked on the left side. (I'm using more 5- and 6-foot patch cables now.) This arrangement works well for me.
essex sound lab
pugix wrote:

http://pugix.com/synth/studio-2009/

It must weigh a lot! That photo is out of date. I replaced the cheap computer desk on the right with another oak table matching the one on the left. The portable cabinets are now stacked on the left side. (I'm using more 5- and 6-foot patch cables now.) This arrangement works well for me.

Nice...very clean setup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1