MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index MUFF WIGGLER
load & distance

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
New PAiA 9700-series modules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author New PAiA 9700-series modules
novielo
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

never mind, i red the last page... sorry meh
theglyph
Maybe it was eat me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cliff Schecht wrote:
We are currently gearing up to release some more modules as well, most notably three different VCF's, an updated/improved version of the 9710 VCO (just the VCO, no ADSR), an AR generator, an ADSR and a bunch more stuff that we have in the works. I'm still in school and so my design time can be somewhat limited during semesters (not aided by the fact that I've been building a tube amp just about every week..). Keep an eye out at the PAiA website as we will be slowly but surely working towards getting the newer modules released.

Wow, can't believe I just found this post. I can't wait to see what's coming! w00t
Synthasonic
Frac MFOS!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

O.k. so I have a question for those who've used some of these modules. I have built and used a 9700s, as well as a couple other Paia modules. Without getting down on them, let's just say that I don't think the quality and accuracy is what you see in modules from Blacet or Modcan. Does anyone here have experience with some of the newer modules and care to comment on this? It's one thing to sell off gear because you don't use it anymore, but it's still awesome and great. It's a whole different thing to try to sell something that doesn't work right, and never did (my 9700 falls into this category, even though it was gone over by the techs at Paia and works 100% according to them.) Opinions?
werock
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True, they're probably not in the same league as Modcan, but I guess it's unreasonable to expect so from the Paia prices.

Comparing to Blacet is a bit more difficult - I've got a few of the newer Paia modules but nothing I can directly compare to a Blacet equivalent. But some general observations:

1. Build quality on the new modules is excellent, the panel paintwork has a nice finish.
2. The functionality per module is generally more vanilla than Blacet - many of the Blacet modules have multiple uses & functionality which is not always obvious at first.
3. I like the fact the new modules are 1FU width.
4. Performance wise, the Noise Generator seems a little quiet, not drastically so, but it is noticable and the level pot seems to have most of it's gain at the far end of the pot travel, but in most cases it will probably be left at the max value anyway. No problems with the Ring Mod.

As for things like the jacks & pots, only time will tell how well they will stand up - I have a couple of Blacet modules where the jacks are a bit buggered - nudging a patch cable results in scratchy noise. These modules were bought used, so I don't know how abused they have been.

I haven't got any of the original 9700 modules, but from various comments the new modules seem to be different beasts entirely - and as has been said on here before, a rack full of the VCAs & Mixers would be super value. Not having either of those it would be interesting to hear how the Paia VCA (LM13700 based?) compares to the SSM2164 based Blacet designs.

FRAC for sale
BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion Paia has always offered designs which are functional but not nearly as advanced as, say, Blacet.

I saw the schematic for the Noise Gen and to me it appears extremely basic but that seems to be the trade-off for such low prices. Blacet designs, on the other hand, are extremely solid / robust circuit-wise and that is what I think makes for a really topnotch modular system.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

though not as advanced i think paia is still plenty fun and useful
there are enough ins and outs on the vcf and vco to get a good bit of use out of them
i'm still using all my paia stuff i started out with and really dont have much intention of swapping them out anytime soon.
the 1u modules are plenty useful and as said before way affordable
the only thing i really can complain about is how tedious some of the 9700 series is when it comes to building
Newambi
1-Post Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Love Paia
mkenall
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Been eyeing these
dhamaryder
Learning to Wiggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Paia mixer Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Someone had asked about the quality of the new modules. I was happy with all of the ones I got(Noise source, cv source, mixer) except the mixer, and I got several of those. When you mix two or three signals and have the volumes about 1 o'clock the signals become quite distorted and certain areas of one signal or another will drop out significantly. I got the mixers because they are SO handy, the size, plus the fact that they have 5X gain. But overall I'm kind of disappointed in the mixer.
steve
e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Paia mixer Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dhamaryder wrote:
When you mix two or three signals and have the volumes about 1 o'clock the signals become quite distorted and certain areas of one signal or another will drop out significantly. I got the mixers because they are SO handy, the size, plus the fact that they have 5X gain.

I guess the distortion is due to the gain and would be inevitable. One might even think it a feature. A 5x gain within a modular synth does hardly make any sense unless you want distortion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: