MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Springtime for bugs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Springtime for bugs?
hank
Trying hard to avoid Springtime for Hitler jokes...

[s]https://soundcloud.com/bugbrand/springtime-firstdemo[/s]

Sounds like a CV:able reverb of some sorts? Is there any information out there?
phisynth
visual hint here :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134810
hank
phisynth wrote:
visual hint here :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134810

Nice, sproiing!
BugBrand
hank wrote:
Trying hard to avoid Springtime for Hitler jokes...

I'd had that in mind, alongside Talk Talk's 'The colour of spring' - both wonderful.
richard
odd that Mel Brookes and Talk Talk never got together to do a big stage musical, eh?
Zeitdehner
Any feedback from the very few first owners ?

I'll have the money for one of these babies by the last week of this month, so please Tom, don't put a new batch up for sale earlier than that or I'll miss it again...

BEMI Music Easel + Spring Tanker + (2x PT Delay) + matrix mixer sounds like a wonderful equation to me cool
otoskope
I just ha a quick first test run with mine, and I love it! I'm always more interested in degrees of freedom and variability than in actual sound quality (not that I have any complaints about the latter). And having 4 bipolar modulation inputs on a spring reverb is quite outstanding, imho. The drive stages gnarl nicely, and feedback is wonderful and controllable with the modulatable filters. The reverb decay is much, much longer than I expected for such short springs - the tension is quite low. I tried to dampen them with various (light) objects and it worked fine to get other kinds of decay. Long is better than short, since you can only go one way by blocking the springs.

Playing directly on the strings felt a bit scary since they are thin and sort of sloppy - the tension is very low (I guess to achieve long decay).

All together - I'm super happy. Waited for years for this, and it's been worth it.

[edit] Here's a little springtanker test, in company of one PT Delay Standard, and one CrossOver Filter, all modulated by a Weevil module. No input. Recorded straight from the bug, with no mastering.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/204835414" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments= true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

/Palle
a100user
Amazing timbres in there.
Zeitdehner
Oooh, yes ! So mouthwatering... this looks and sounds like it's going to be one of my all time favorites...

Palle's clip reminds me of some things I can do with my modified Moisturizer but with better sounding drive stages and filtering, at least to my ears cool
mudlogger
I got mine last week - love it.

Here's a quick blippoo clip

https://instagram.com/p/2a4KkNm9Su/

Just one thing I wish it had was VC of the wet/dry mix or am I missing something here?

Agree about the spring tension - much lower than you would think. Decay is much longer too. Very dark sounding. I've not had too much joy with feedback yet, it squeals pretty quickly. Felt a bit nervous playing the spring as it feels quite delicate. Got the most cavelike klang sound that scared the shit out of me when I first tried!
BugBrand
No, unfortunately there's no VCA for the Dry/Wet balance (or even just a VCA on the dry signal)

The feedback starts coming in useful more, I find, when modulating the filters - popping them up and down, you can then set the feedback higher.
mudlogger
BugBrand wrote:
No, unfortunately there's no VCA for the Dry/Wet balance (or even just a VCA on the dry signal)

The feedback starts coming in useful more, I find, when modulating the filters - popping them up and down, you can then set the feedback higher.

Ah, ok great, thanks for the tip, will play more with the filters.
Really pleased I got this, I want stereo now!
vegas7188
A little spring try out, not a heap of modulation going on (gentle LFOs on Feedback and High Cut i think) + manual fade in of Dry signal at the beginning.

Really am enjoying this. (have been playing guitar through it as well which is a treat for sure).

[s]http://soundcloud.com/thelorettas/170520151952a[/s]
otoskope
Very nice, vegas! Thanks for posting!
trax
PSSSSSST....

check the shop this morning...

thumbs up
Zeitdehner
Thanks Trax, just checked the shop right now and snapped the last one available for now Mr. Green

thumbs up
BugBrand
Added one more! The rest are gone without even doing a mailout..
(more in 10 days or so when I'm back from a week away)
blue_lu
Okay - I have to ask this: How does this one differ from the moisturizer (I was pretty set on getting a moisturizer)?

For the people who know both - which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
Nelson Baboon
blue_lu wrote:
Okay - I have to ask this: How does this one differ from the moisturizer (I was pretty set on getting a moisturizer)?

Thanks!

Wish I still had the moisturizer to compare. Sometimes one's mind can be tricked by these kind of comparisons.

the Spring Tanker seems to sound better to my ears. A more behavioristic analysis would be that I am using it on everything now, whereas I would use the moisturizer only occasionally. But maybe my music needs spring reverb more now.
indexofmetals
I agree with Nelson. I've still got a moisturiser but will likely sell it. I didn't really use the filter or LFO on the moisturiser and prefer the bugbrand functions and c/v inputs; I'd rather patch modulation from the patch I'm using. The spring tanker also sounds better when fed into the space echo spring reverb that the moisturiser did.
Zeitdehner
blue_lu wrote:

Thanks!

Well, I've just about received a Spring Tanker and only had a couple of hours to play with it, so it may be a bit early to draw any conclusions.

Initially both units are to serve the same basic purpose, but I think the Moisturizer, even a stock unit, is more prone to be used as a solo instrument, as a source rather than merely as a processor, albeit a neat one. That particular usage of the Moisturizer is made even more interesting when you modify it, like I did. In that respect a modified Moisturizer is quite unique and extremely valuable.
I still have to try out the Spring Tanker in that context, to see what it is capable of, even if I have no intention to modify it in any way...

I have set up the Spring Tanker to be integrated in a small live performance oriented rig including a BEMI Music Easel, a custom SDIY passive matrix mixer and two PT Delays :

This combination is set up in minutes, is extremely flexible and provides for tremendous creative potential.
I bought the Spring Tanker exactly with that application in mind, for the possibility of direct interaction with the Easel thanks to the bananas, but also because it has that special Bugbrand sonic imprint. I'm particularly fond of how the filters, input- , output- and drive stages sound, behave and respond in Tom's products (not tried them all yet, but heard most of them in action at Phisynth's thumbs up ), and the Spring Tanker is no exception here. Also the visual cohesion of the whole is quite remarkable.
As with all new gear, it needs careful tweaking for best results and particular attention must be given to remote control. This is where the attenuverters of the CV inputs come in extremely handy.

Objectively, I cannot say I prefer one over the other, because I use them differently and both have their own application domains that I can combine any time.
Subjectively, I prefer the Spring Tanker for its sonic characteristics and because it integrates so nicely, on all levels, with my portable, live rig.

Hope this helps...a little... as they say : get both Mr. Green
ginorobair
Elegant setup! thumbs up
sungja
Springs are in the shop now! This is fun!
moog55
dammmmmmmit. i've wanted one for ages and somehow always manage to miss out.
BugBrand
moog55 wrote:
dammmmmmmit. i've wanted one for ages and somehow always manage to miss out.

There are still 3 online...?!?! http://bugbrand.co.uk/shop

But I sent you an email anyways as you'd asked before.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2