MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac newbie incoming
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac newbie incoming
22tape
Hey guys. I'm ditching Euro for Frac and I"m hyper

I'm not too well-versed on the rep of Frac modules. I've been poking around modular grid to see what's out there, but I'd love some first-hand advice.

My needs are pretty small-- I/O, filter, delay, spring reverb, random modulation, and a clock divider.

What are your favs for these categories?

1) I/O-- having an envelope follower onboard would rock.

2) Filter-- multimode would be great, but it's not a necessity. What is a necessity is that it's DIRTY. CV over resonance would be great too.

3) Delay-- I'm probably going to pick up a Time Machine, but what are your favs?

4) Spring Reverb? Boiiiiiing.

5) Modulation-- assuming my I/O has an envelope follower onboard, I really only need some randomness. What are your favs there?

6) Favorite spot to check out cases?

7) Clock divider? Dual would be great.

8) So is Bugbrand considered Frac then? For some reason I always that it was it's own format.

Thanks all! Guinness ftw!
22tape
Also, I'm thinking about getting a Korg SQ-1 for sequencer duties-- do I need to worry about the SQ-1's voltage for driving Frac modules?
werock
22tape wrote:

1) I/O-- having an envelope follower onboard would rock.

Not sure if the Blacet I/O module has an envelope follower on board, but Paia do a separate Env Follower module.

22tape wrote:

2) Filter-- multimode would be great, but it's not a necessity. What is a necessity is that it's DIRTY. CV over resonance would be great too.

Sounds like the Blacet Filthy Filter is what you need.

22tape wrote:

3) Delay-- I'm probably going to pick up a Time Machine, but what are your favs?

The Time Machine might be a bit tricky to get hold of now, but it's worth holding out for one.

22tape wrote:

4) Spring Reverb? Boiiiiiing.

You might need to go down the DIY route for that, or get someone to build you one.

22tape wrote:

5) Modulation-- assuming my I/O has an envelope follower onboard, I really only need some randomness. What are your favs there?

The Blacet LFO is one of the most versatile around IMHO, regardless of format.

22tape wrote:

6) Favorite spot to check out cases?

Blacet & Paia do metal racks, if you want a wood case you'd have to get someone to build you one.

22tape wrote:

7) Clock divider? Dual would be great.

Metalbox build the CGS stuff, they have a couple of dividers (and will probably build you a custom version). Blacet have a really good dual voltage controlled divider.

22tape wrote:

8) So is Bugbrand considered Frac then? For some reason I always that it was it's own format.

It's Frac in size & power, but most Frac uses minijacks rather than bananas.

It's a good time to be looking into Frac, with all the new J3rk modules about to hit. Between Blacet, Paia & Metalbox there's already a good selection, add in what's available at Synthcube (who will be selling the new J3rk modules) and there's plenty to keep you occupied.
BugBrand
I stepped out of the modular game.
My machines have all used the Frac panel size - but always in my own custom frames (racks) as I could never abide the excessive depth, or the wasted cheek space of the two commercial frac racks (Blacet & Paia).

Korg SQ1 - just get one - for the money they're amazing. Works great with such systems.
Morley
BugBrand wrote:
I stepped out of the modular game.

angry

razz
BugBrand
Doesn't mean I'm ruling out ongoing patchable machines - but I can't see any imminent return to modular as it was for a multitude of reasons.

[would try to make a joke about Farage but forum rules...]

PS -- springs!....
e-grad
22tape wrote:

If soldering is fine for you: The "infra red our" from the Oakley Noise/Filter module is great for random modulation. I built the original version for Frac:
http://www.oakleysound.com/noise.htm

Check Blacet's Improability Drive:
http://www.blacet.com/BlacetUserPage/ID2510user.pdf
dJ dAb
I can help with a couple of the requests, perhaps...

+
http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6740K

and a very minimal bbd style delay...

+
http://store.synthrotek.com/ECHO_Voltage_Controlled_Echo
22tape
thanks so much for all the suggestions! most helpful. Guinness ftw!

bummed to hear no more bugbrand, tom! I totally understand about needing to move on to other projects though. good luck! i'm on your mailing list and I had my eye on the Spring Tank! Looks wicked. It sold out in no time!

Speaking of springs, it's going to be hard giving up on Euro with the voltage controlled springs of Springray, and the readily accessible BBD delays. I recently picked up Pitts Analog Delay for $160. I might have to rethink this, since VC analog filter/delay/spring is what I'm addicted to.

Is there any word on the street about any incoming VC spring reverbs or BBD delays for Frac? thanks again!
werock
Try Synthcube, they might be able to hook you up - they've got parts/PCBs for the Time Machine.
blandoon
The Blacet IO2225 does have an envelope follower (two separate envelopes, even). It's an extremely useful module - it's really fun to play guitar or bass through the I/O into the Filthy Filtre, for example. I used the hell out of that on the last thing I recorded.

For noise/modulation: I am planning on DIYing the EAS clone of the MS-10 LFO/S&H/noise section - see here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95853 - which should easily fit in one Frac space (I even threw together a Schaeffer panel, which you can see in the thread, although I haven't had it cut yet).

Delay-wise, check out the Synthtech/Blacet F580 Resampling Mini Delay. Blacet only does runs of these a couple times a year, at most, but I snagged one last year. http://www.analoguehaven.com/synthesistechnology/e580/

It's digital/DSP, but it has "BBD" and "tape" modes, which I guess changes the decay characteristics to simulate the analog delays. Also a lot of fun to fool with.
rezzn8r
22tape wrote:

The Bit Bucket might be worth waiting for
[/quote]
J3RK
rezzn8r wrote:
22tape wrote:

The Bit Bucket might be worth waiting for
[/quote]

I'm just about ready to finish building the first prototype for this guy. (waiting on a few parts to arrive) It won't be in the first batch of modules at Synthcube, but will likely make it into the second batch. w00t
Tubeampguy
The Metalbox Wave Multipliers is a must have module!

From http://www.metalbox.com/

Three independent Wave Multipliers that add intense harmonics to static waveforms. The primary multiplier has voltage control over the amount of folding, waveform offset, and pulse width modulation. With two inputs, a huge array of sounds can be had. The Grinder adds "ringing" harmonics to any input, sometimes reminiscent to digital aliasing. The Lockhart folder is designed to warp a sine into harmonically rich waveforms. Think of these three Wave Multipliers as "anti-filters" dramatically adding harmonics rather than reducing them. Whilst the primary and Lockhart multipliers are designed for use with raw waveforms, the Grinder is particularly effective on complex inputs such as drum machines.

indexofmetals
metalbox also make a version that's 4 modules wide but with a tube vca. I'd requested this so that it could fit into Bugbrand cases. It's an amazing module. I'd highly recommend you keeping an eye out for a Bugbrand Wavefolder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1