MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fill My 1U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fill My 1U
russma
I've got 1U left open in my first case, what shall I fill it with?

Here are it's case-mates:

MOTM 300 VCO
MOTM 310 VCO
MOTM 410 VCF
MOTM 800 EG x2
MOTM 190 VCA
MOTM 830 MXR
MOTM 910 Mult
STG Mankato
JH Tau Phaser
Oakley EFG
russma
I should add, I'm using Silent Way for LFOs and basic sequencing. Also sequencing from an FR 777.
drewtoothpaste
1U of MOTM or 1U of synth.com?
russma
MOTM
russma
let's say either one.

hmmm.....
drewtoothpaste
I guess it depends on what other gear you have (anything in Euro/other formats? any semi-modular stuff like an MS-20 etc?) but I'd suggest the MOTM 380 quad-LFO so you can modulate PWM/pitch/filter/etc.

Or a spring reverb if you don't already have one.
russma
Yeah LFO, noise, slew and S/H are glaring omissions.

I'm getting LFO's from Silent Way at the moment. I can get slew from the Mankato. Not sure I need S/H enough for a dedicated module...think I can probably get that from SW too.

That leaves noise.
russma
no other formats right now, no semi-modulars.
russma
5U spring reverb = Neural Agonizer, yes?
dude
modcan 66b control
russma
oh my, yes.

I have, however, been carefully and purposely shielding my eyes from all things Modcan, because I realize at once how fantastic they are, and how broke I are.

Dead Banana
SynthBaron
Yeah, you need some noise in there. I'm lacking a noise module currently, and it's a pain not to have one.
russma
Yeah, noise.

So, MFOS "Cornucopia" or CGS "digiatal noise"? Any preferences here?

Meanwhile, the Thomas White [Buchla] LPG keeps popping into my brain...
dude
1u diginoise from bridechamber. he may even have one in stock? it does awesome multiple out random gates. makes great video game sounds. it isn't analog noise but its cool. i love mine. it hasn't seen as much use since my dual noiserings have shown up but it is awesome.
dude
have never used a single mfos product. i don't know anything about them cept you can build em yourself from kits just like bridechamber? both look really cool. i love my cgs digi noise.
dude
you can get sickening quadrature lfos from your mankato as well! i really dig the oakley triple lag, if you were to ever get a bigger case too.
drewtoothpaste
Synth.com makes a spring reverb, I don't have one though so can't vouch for its sound.

The easiest way around this problem is another cabinet so you can get a noise, S&H, slew limiter, LFO, spring reverb, and another VCA. smile

If you're synthesizing percussion sounds you might want a noise module but to be honest I don't use mine a ton. Mostly for light frequency modulation of VCOs to rough them up a little bit.
ach_gott
I adore the MOTM-380, I'd go with that, but the suggestions here are all great.
dude
yeah, another case is the best solution. why limit?

twisted
JohnLRice
hmmm.....

Do you have 2U of open space available? Or just 1U? Most of what you are looking at is 2U's worth, I be cornfused! seriously, i just don't get it
russma
There is--without question--another 5U case in my future. For now, just topping off the first one.

JLR: The CGS Digital Noise, the MFOS Cornucopia and the LPG all come in a 1U version. Which are you thinking are 2U?

Thanks all for the input.

Related topic: what's your favorite noise patching trick?
haricots
Yusynth S&H/Noise: http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/Yu_Random.html
pugix
MOTM-485
MOTM-490

Noise? How about this:

http://pugix.com/synth/blacet-improbability-drive-2510/
JohnLRice
idiotboy wrote:
JLR: The CGS Digital Noise, the MFOS Cornucopia and the LPG all come in a 1U version. Which are you thinking are 2U?

d'oh! yes, I didn't read carefully and skipped over the sentance "Here are it's case-mates: " so I thought yout list was what you were considering getting. Maybe we should swap forum names? oops
bwhittington
drewtoothpaste wrote:
If you're synthesizing percussion sounds you might want a noise module but to be honest I don't use mine a ton. Mostly for light frequency modulation of VCOs to rough them up a little bit.

I guess we all have different styles. It's rare for a patch of mine to not use multiple noise outputs for modulation or mixing with audio. May just be because I have a lot of noise options and mainly "vanilla" modules. No fun wavetables oscillators, etc, so all my glitchiness has to come the old-fashioned way.

idiotboy wrote:
Related topic: what's your favorite noise patching trick?

Attenuate and modulate to dirty up your oscillators and filters. Mix small amounts with clock or vca cv inputs. Or whatever else.

Cheers,
Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2