MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Front door for the Dotcom Portable Cabinet?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Front door for the Dotcom Portable Cabinet?
relaxing
Have you guys come up with any clever solutions for protecting the fronts of the modules when gigging around the portable cabinet?
bwhittington
relaxing wrote:
Have you guys come up with any clever solutions for protecting the fronts of the modules when gigging around the "portable" cabinet?

5U guys prefer the back door.

goatse.cx
relaxing
No judgment here!
relaxing
On second thought, let's keep that in the "Fill my 1U" thread love
bwhittington
relaxing wrote:
On second thought, let's keep that in the "Fill my 1U" thread love

So glad I'm not the only one that thought of that. hihi

Cheers,
Brian
krv
cotk did: http://cluboftheknobs.com/portables.html
but it won't fit dotcom cabinet
bwhittington
To make a hard cover, you should easily be able to cut a piece of masonite or thin plywood to fit the opening. Securing it would be another matter, but it could be as simple as a bungee cord. If you had modules with knobs near the four corners, it would probably hold it in place well. Or a trip down the door hardware aisle of a Home Depot near you would probably give you some ideas on how to devise a latch. If you wanted to pretty it up, you could paint it or wrap it in matching tolex.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the portable cases and am basing my opinion solely on checking out a photo of one. Still, looks simple enough.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
While not as good as an actual case lid, maybe somehting like a guitar amp/speaker slip cover would be better than nothing?

http://store.amplifiercovers.com/index.html

http://www.studioslips.com/

Of course you could sell your DotCom cases and get EWI road cases and some DotCom rack frames! thumbs up For a 10U EWI rack plus two DotCom frames it's only about $250 (although I'd recommend putting some vent panels or a peice of plywood etc on the back) Sure, $25 more expensive than the DotCom portable racks, unnecessarily deep and holds a few less modules but they offer better protection, portability and stability when stacked.

russma
I can't get enough of that photo, John.

The word "MONOLITHIC" springs to mind.

thumbs up
JohnLRice
idiotboy wrote:
I can't get enough of that photo, John.

The word "MONOLITHIC" springs to mind.

thumbs up

Thanks! Yes, It's one of my favs too! For some reason that one cabinet seems more impressive by itself than four of them stacjed together.
bwhittington
JohnLRice wrote:
While not as good as an actual case lid, maybe somehting like a guitar amp/speaker slip cover would be better than nothing?

I was actually thinking throwing a heavy trash bag over it would solve most potential issues if he is just carrying it around in his trunk or something, so the tidy slip cover looks like a cool solution. Maybe he could get a mom-and-pop auto upholstery shop to sew something up out of vinyl.

Cheers,
Brian
SynthBaron
bwhittington wrote:
relaxing wrote:
Have you guys come up with any clever solutions for protecting the fronts of the modules when gigging around the "portable" cabinet?

5U guys prefer the back door.

goatse.cx

No comment.
relaxing
A slipcover would look nice, but it won't protect the modules from getting banged into things.

The only problem I have going the rack route is all that wasted depth.

I may just DIY myself up a door... it would be nice if it sat flush in the cab without resting the knobs... maybe standoff screws could support it... although it might end up tearing out the screw holes... wonder if there's enough room for a lip?
bwhittington
You could make a lip on the lid to fit the interior dimension of the case and have the lid be flush with the outside of the case. Then you could use those removable hinges and a little latch. With a yard of matching Tolex, that would be the tidiest look and function.

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
Buy another portable cab and the hardware hinge that they sell. You know you will need an expansion cab sometime. hihi

-David
jfm3
I have four EWI RUE10UE10. They are the right ballance between 'bitch to move' and 'keeps everything safe'. They also stack, and sit next to each other with only maybe 1.5" overhead. Front and back are covered.

http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-10_series_rack_cases/R10UE-10_ cutsheet.shtml
jjq
Does anybody know much the COTK portables cost?

They look very well buildt and nice.
doctorvague
These guys will make covers to fit anything.
http://www.d2fcovers.com/Landing.htm
They use this padded material that is top notch quality and about 1/4" thick. These are nothing like vinyl amp covers. They aren't cheap but they are definitely worth the money. Probably around $75 for a custom cover that size. I had them made for my guitar amps and highly recommend them.

Conceptually I agree about simply hinging 2 portable cabs together, but one cab is a nice size and weight to carry. 2 portable cabs full of modules and a power supply might be a bit heavy and I imagine the width would make it pretty awkward to carry.

If I really wanted a hard front I would make something that either fit closely inside the lip (or outside) and then just bungee it on. That way the cab isn't defaced for eventual resale. Yes i think about resale. Things and people change.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1