MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Soundcraft Signature Series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Soundcraft Signature Series
Sir Ruff
mikmanner wrote:
Got the Signature 12 yesterday, plugged it in and set Cubase up and have realized that all the inputs via USB come in Pre-channel strip and fader, meaning panning, EQ, volume etc has no effect on the incoming recording. Is this a standard way of doing things? I was hoping to record multi-tracked performances for editing later.

Can I ask what version of Cubase see you're using? Just got the MTK 22--Cubase 5 recognizes it, but I'm currently only able to access the first two channels; all remaining channels are set as "inactive" in the device panel. Not sure how to resolve.

(I with also surprised to see that it records everything pre EQ--not ideal.)
mikmanner
I'm using Cubase Pro 9.5 in the 'audio connections' panel you can add more audio channels. Confusingly called 'VST Connections' in Nuendo 7 or earlier version of Cubase Pro - it might be called something else in Cubase 5. In the 'connections' window you just click 'add bus' and create a bunch of mono / stereo busses and assign the port to the Signature. Channel 13 and 14 is a master stereo mix post-fader / strip but I can't seem to get that to make a sound yet.

I've gone too long without really understanding mixer basics, working as a sound designer for 8 years haha. Only figured out MIDI Thru the other week when I got a Digitakt.

Sir Ruff wrote:
mikmanner wrote:
Got the Signature 12 yesterday, plugged it in and set Cubase up and have realized that all the inputs via USB come in Pre-channel strip and fader, meaning panning, EQ, volume etc has no effect on the incoming recording. Is this a standard way of doing things? I was hoping to record multi-tracked performances for editing later.

Can I ask what version of Cubase see you're using? Just got the MTK 22--Cubase 5 recognizes it, but I'm currently only able to access the first two channels; all remaining channels are set as "inactive" in the device panel. Not sure how to resolve.

(I with also surprised to see that it records everything pre EQ--not ideal.)
GovernorSilver
mikmanner wrote:

When I first heard of the 12MTK model, I do recall some people saying pre-fader USB audio would be a nonstarter for them.

I'm so used to running the main outs of my Mackie into my audio interface, though that it wouldn't bother me. I'm also used to just managing panning and stuff like that within the DAW.
mikmanner
Yeah, I should just get a midi controller to handle panning and leveling and a soundcard with lots of inputs, I was hoping this could do both. However, there's probably a benefit to recording a performance master out and also having the multitracked raw recordings to work from when re-arranging after recording.

GovernorSilver wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

When I first heard of the 12MTK model, I do recall some people saying pre-fader USB audio would be a nonstarter for them.

I'm so used to running the main outs of my Mackie into my audio interface, though that it wouldn't bother me. I'm also used to just managing panning and stuff like that within the DAW.
Sir Ruff
mikmanner wrote:
I'm using Cubase Pro 9.5 in the 'audio connections' panel you can add more audio channels. Confusingly called 'VST Connections' in Nuendo 7 or earlier version of Cubase Pro - it might be called something else in Cubase 5. In the 'connections' window you just click 'add bus' and create a bunch of mono / stereo busses and assign the port to the Signature. Channel 13 and 14 is a master stereo mix post-fader / strip but I can't seem to get that to make a sound yet.

Awesome, that did the trick! (VST Connections is same in 5.) It wasn't initially clear that they were "there" waiting to be assigned. Next challenge will be getting that 13/14 mixdown channel to work--lemme know if you manage any success there; I will do the same.

GovernorSilver wrote:

Was doing the same here. And I often printed stuff with a bit of EQ-ing as well as hardware effects sends straight to the DAW... So this is going to be interesting trying to find an alternate routing setup.

It's kind of a plus/minus situ--great if you want full hardware control of EQ/effects on playback, but bad if you want to print and forget. Also, since there are no effects returns, I'm kind of perplexed why they give you so many Aux sends! Especially given that you can't record anything post Gain. hmmm..... I guess the compromise will be having to dedicate some of the mixer channels to the effects returns, or continue to use my Mackie as a sub-mixer.
GovernorSilver
mikmanner wrote:

I've gone too long without really understanding mixer basics, working as a sound designer for 8 years haha. Only figured out MIDI Thru the other week when I got a Digitakt.

I actually learned how to use the aux send on my Mackie mixer just two years ago. I was whining to my friend about some of my struggles getting around this mixer and he gave me a little workshop on how to use it.

Before I got the Mackie, I was recording with a MOTU 828 MkII, which is still my only option at the moment if I want to record more than 2 tracks simultaneously. But because it's a Firewire device, I can't really use it with my iPad, whereas the Soundcraft is a usable option.

KMI's K-Mix is the other mixer in that price range that offers more than 2 simultaneous USB input channels, but I have yet to overcome my irrational fear of not having physical knobs/faders to quickly adjust master volume.
mousegarden
I finally got a Soundcraft EFX12, the EQ is really good, so are the effects.
The only thing that put me off the Signature series was that logo of the Union Jack, I know it's silly, but honestly, it would annoy me big-time, like, they're over-egging the pudding.
mikmanner
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having with the Signature 12 MTK.

While I can get an audio input from the mixer into a DAW - Windows does not pick anything up, so I've set my 'default recording device' to Mic/Line In 09/10, I have a microphone plugged into the channel. Phantom power is on and gain is up. In my DAW, I can record and mointor the channel no issue, but as a windows recording device (so I can use the microphone on Skype for example) I'm not getting any signal at all. Any ideas?

Cheers
mousegarden
mikmanner wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having with the Signature 12 MTK.

While I can get an audio input from the mixer into a DAW - Windows does not pick anything up, so I've set my 'default recording device' to Mic/Line In 09/10, I have a microphone plugged into the channel. Phantom power is on and gain is up. In my DAW, I can record and mointor the channel no issue, but as a windows recording device (so I can use the microphone on Skype for example) I'm not getting any signal at all. Any ideas?

Cheers

I think, you need to go into Windows, sounds, preferences, and select the MTK as a new input, you've done that in your DAW obviously, but your need to tell Windows what to do with its own sounds, devices.
mikmanner
mousegarden wrote:
mikmanner wrote:

Cheers

I think, you need to go into Windows, sounds, preferences, and select the MTK as a new input, you've done that in your DAW obviously, but your heed to tell Windows what to do with its own sounds, devices.

Hmm, yeah I've done that it's set as default device in sound preferences, both playback and recording device, just no signal coming through at all.
Sir Ruff
Can you make channel 23/24 the default input? That's the hidden stereo output from the mixer.
mousegarden
Is there a setting in Skype to select devices?
mikmanner
mousegarden wrote:
Is there a setting in Skype to select devices?

There is on Discord and I've set the right channel but still nothing coming through...
mousegarden
Sorry, but I'm as baffled as you are, being a new Windows 10 user myself meh
TXBDan
I picked up a Signature 10 a couple weeks ago and have been using it pretty much every day since. I'm running a few voices into it, iPad into it via USB, and have two external effects on two of the Aux loops. I'm using headphones and main outs to my stereo.

Overall its quite great. I like:
-having three aux sends
-fader feel
-USB interface is plugnplay on iOS and works/sounds good
-Having effects which sound pretty good, just not very tweakable or deep
-Lots of PFL/AFL spots

Annoyances:
-Only XLR outs (wish it had 1/4"s as well)
-No inserts
-No direct outs
-No FX return or extra stereo returns. stereo Aux returns are eating up my channels.
-No power switch
mousegarden
I've given up on mixers, none of these cheap modern things sound any good to me. I've tried them, and they all sound like a cheap Behringer, it's a generic horrible thin hard sound.
Except for MACKIE. They are still the only budget mixer that doesn't have this horrible sound, they are built better than the competition, and they sound better, not just different, but better.
Yamaha, Soundcraft, Behringer, A&H etc, no good, as I always end up getting my Mackie out of the basement if a mixer is needed. But now I'm going straight into my interface, I can't be bothered with mixers anymore, as I can use my interface "stand alone" and mixers always have tons of stuff I never use.
mykelmoss
mousegarden wrote:
I've given up on mixers, none of these cheap modern things sound any good to me. I've tried them, and they all sound like a cheap Behringer, it's a generic horrible thin hard sound.
Except for MACKIE. They are still the only budget mixer that doesn't have this horrible sound, they are built better than the competition, and they sound better, not just different, but better.
Yamaha, Soundcraft, Behringer, A&H etc, no good, as I always end up getting my Mackie out of the basement if a mixer is needed. But now I'm going straight into my interface, I can't be bothered with mixers anymore, as I can use my interface "stand alone" and mixers always have tons of stuff I never use.

As someone that is now in the market for a high quality mixer--what Mackie mixer do you feel would be the "best bang for the buck?"
mousegarden
mykelmoss wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

As someone that is now in the market for a high quality mixer--what Mackie mixer do you feel would be the "best bang for the buck?"

It has to be the VLZ4 series, the mic amps are very good on these, and something like a 16-4-2 VLZ4 is one of the most feature packed small mixers on the market at this "quallity point" Sure, an equivelant Behringer is the same regarding IO, but it doesn't have that Mackie quallity in any way whatsoever. They don't have effects, or USB fandango's, they are just good sounding, solid mixers.
mykelmoss
@mousegarden I found a solid deal available for a 1402 VLZ4 so I may have to go with that. Ive heard the high ends can be a bit shiny, but until I can afford more outboard pre-amps and what not....I'll take my chances fiddling with the Mackie.
bhinton
Weird. I slightly prefer the sound of my Signature 22MTK to my old Mackie, but it wasn't a VLZ. I was pleasantly surprised since the SC supposedly isn't built for recording.
The one exception is that the Mackie was a little quieter.
The Mackie was SO dust sensitive too. I bot the SCused (and it's a little beat up) but the pots and faders are quiet so far (knock on particle board).
dubonaire
bhinton wrote:
...since the SC supposedly isn't built for recording.

Where did you get that idea from? Of course it's built for recording.
mousegarden
mykelmoss wrote:
@mousegarden I found a solid deal available for a 1402 VLZ4 so I may have to go with that. Ive heard the high ends can be a bit shiny, but until I can afford more outboard pre-amps and what not....I'll take my chances fiddling with the Mackie.

I don't find any bumps or dips in the sound of my Mackie, it should just sound nice and full, I'm sensitive to high end problems, I hear them all the time on other cheap mixers, but not on this one. The preamps on the 1402 are amazing for the money, you've basically got four boutique mic amps, that makes the price worth it for those alone, the rest comes as a bonus! Unless you're going to spend a couple of grand on some high end stuff, these take some beating.
It is funny how we loose sight of how things should be, as I say, Mackie stick out as the best small budget mixers, we think they sound good, but, on the whole, standards have fallen greatly, listen to a few things that were considered "budget" or mid price from the 70's/80's and they sound incredible compared to stuff today, my old Studiomaster for instance, and you can pick them up for sod all these days.
bhinton
re built for recording - the marketing I saw for it before buying positioned it as a solution for live mixing and recording as opposed to studio, but my memory is fuzzy on whether that messaging was from SC or someone else so I could be wrong.
dubonaire
bhinton wrote:
re built for recording - the marketing I saw for it before buying positioned it as a solution for live mixing and recording as opposed to studio, but my memory is fuzzy on whether that messaging was from SC or someone else so I could be wrong.

It's designed as a multi-track (MTK version) and master recorder, live or studio.
mousegarden
The MTK looks like it's geared up for live work, there's no Control Room output, which could be irritating, you can work around that, but why bother? It's not as though this mixer is so special in other ways that's it's worth putting up with niggles, just get another one that has all you want.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4