MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sidrax Organ as first synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Sidrax Organ as first synth
DaveMatthew'sHand
Would it be a bad idea to get a Sidrax Organ as a first synth?? I have some stuff (keyboard/kaosspad/sp404) just no synthesizers, so im a synth noob. Would it be smarter to get something more traditional? I know their is probably not a yes or no answer here, but im trying to get some wisdom before I drop my money. I'm mostly just looking to play with sound and make pretty drones and melodies in my bedroom room. I'm selling my 404 because I really didn't enjoy using it. Now I mostly jsut loop stuff with my keyboad/kaoss pad. Here is a short loop I made doing that https://soundcloud.com/makeshift-frequencies/memory-choke but yeah should I get something more str8 forward/cheaper maybe as my first purchase??? If I get the Sidrax Organ and feel like I wasted my money, would it be easy to sell/trade used or no? I'm on minimum wage here lol >.< The organ looks like it can be pretty and noisy + its made out of wood so I want it.
ClausF
Why not if you like it. But I would start with a Plumbutter or Cocoquantus, because these have endles possibilities. Sidrax is limited compared to these two, but also a wonderful instrument.
Yes, you can sell it, watch the threads here. The rule is easy: if it stays over months, it was too expensive.
wednesdayayay
The sidrax and the coco are a match made in heaven

Why you ask

Because the sidrax can cover so much aural ground while the coco allows for some really interesting looping possibilities

But since you currently have your looping covered and are looking for a synth the Sid seems like a better choice

Does the kaoss pad do stereo looping? One thing to think about is whatever ciat lonbarde instrument you choose it will have a stereo output

I'll give a listen to your sounds and report back

Just a thought since the raw red outs on the Sid are the non enveloped oscilators it would be fun to input all those into the plumbutters aux inputs then use different press and release cv information into the blue verso inverso inputs so you control the volume of two or even three notes (if you take the output of the plumbutter into a mixer and the main output of the sidrax) with one bar
mrbloor
The sidrax is a great instrument and for me it's nice cos it doesn't have a 'keyboard'. The plumbutter & cocoquantus are awesome but on a budget eek!

Before I got into ciat lonbarde I had and Teenage engineering OP1 which I think is a brilliant device, that and some sound sources makes for a really nice tool. Makes me want to get another if I had some money.

I don't want to put you off sidrax or CL, but if I was in your shoes on a budget, I would be looking at a second hand OP1, that way if you don't gel with it you could move it on without loosing too much money.

Feel free to ignore this and got with your gut thumbs up
Nelson Baboon
you describe yourself as a 'synth noob', and wonder about whether this would be a good first synth.

that is really entirely dependent on what your goals are.

If your goals are to learn about traditional synthesis, especially in a modular environment, I don't think that this is a good first synth.

If your goals are to play on an instrument that is great fun, is way more playable physically than a traditional synth (at least most of them), and not be impeded by lack of knowledge about traditional synthesis, then its highly recommended. You could always get a more traditional synth down the road, or you could get a software synth (even a free one) and learn on that.
sungja
I`d say try out the Tetrax organ first if in doubt. My first Ciat-lonbarde piece was the Sidrassi and I still have it after 8 years. If you have great imagination and like to experiment these instruments can go almost anywhere.
sungja
Nelson Baboon wrote:
If your goals are to play on an instrument that is great fun, is way more playable physically than a traditional synth (at least most of them), and not be impeded by lack of knowledge about traditional synthesis, then its highly recommended. You could always get a more traditional synth down the road, or you could get a software synth (even a free one) and learn on that.

So true!
DaveMatthew'sHand
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, I really appreciate it.
mrbloor wrote:

I don't want to put you off sidrax or CL, but if I was in your shoes on a budget, I would be looking at a second hand OP1, that way if you don't gel with it you could move it on without loosing too much money.

Yeah op1 looks cool also, the design seems kinda bauhausy which I dig. I think i'm going to make a post in "want to buy" looking for a used sidrax, maybe i'll get lucky.
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Yeah I have been using software synths for years now, I aint no synthesis master or anything but I understand waves, filters, envelopes, resonance, LFO, the basics im sure... When I say synth noob I mean more with the hardware. I've been using reason, where the interface kind of emulates hardware http://www.wolfmanzbytes.com/audiogear/reason4/reason48lg.jpg but yeah I am defiantly just looking for something where I can have fun, be creative and explore sound.

sungja wrote:
I`d say try out the Tetrax organ first if in doubt. My first Ciat-lonbarde piece was the Sidrassi and I still have it after 8 years. If you have great imagination and like to experiment these instruments can go almost anywhere.

I was just leaning towards the Sidrassi because I read this on the Ciat-Lonbarde webpage "Tetrax is for funky bass and complex tones, while Sidrax is for sweet melodies" Tetrax is cheaper though, so maybe.
Nelson Baboon
well, you always have to take Peter's text with a little grain of salt. I do think that the sidrax is more flexible generally, but the I might even prefer the raw sound of the tetrax (depends on my mood). I wouldn't say that either of them are easy to do traditional melodies with, so I wouldn't worry too much about the distinction that he makes....

Note that while it's more than you want to spend, the forum owner, muffwiggler, has been trying to sell his combo sidrax/tetrax at a good price. It's really nice to have both of these in one unit! You can play them separately, or both together, and/or alternate as you play, have one modulate the other, etc, etc.

DaveMatthew'sHand wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, I really appreciate it.
mrbloor wrote:

Yeah op1 looks cool also, the design seems kinda bauhausy which I dig. I think i'm going to make a post here looking for a used sidrax, maybe i'll get lucky.
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Yeah I have been using software synths for years now, I aint no synthesis master or anything but I understand waves, filters, envelopes, resonance, LFO, the basics im sure... When I say synth noob I mean more with the hardware. I've been using reason, where the interface kind of emulates hardware http://www.wolfmanzbytes.com/audiogear/reason4/reason48lg.jpg but yeah I am defiantly just looking for something where I can have fun, be creative and explore sound.

sungja wrote:

I was just leaning towards the Sidrassi because I read this on the Ciat-Lonbarde webpage "Tetrax is for funky bass and complex tones, while Sidrax is for sweet melodies" Tetrax is cheaper though, so maybe.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1