MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Command line free firmware update on MAC OS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Command line free firmware update on MAC OS
jl
Ok. You need to get a pickit2, but you don't need to buy one that comes with the breadboard -led looking thing. You just need the little plastic box and the usb cable.

Hook the 6 pin connector to your module and the usb cable from the pickit to your computer.

Download this:

http://www.piccircuit.com/ins/download.php?Down=PicKit2-Programmer-GUI -1.2-OSX.zip

and unzip it.

Copy the 'pk2cmd' and 'PK2DeviceFile.dat' files into the '/bin' folder.

Easiest way to get there is to go to the Go>Go to Folder> from the Finder, type '/bin' in the text field and hit go.

Once those are copied, we are ready to launch the applet, but something about its wrapper might make your computer tell you its damaged when it isn't. To get around this, ctrl+click on it and select choose package contents, navigate down until you find the 'PickIt2-Programmer-BETA.jar' file.

Launch that file. You computer might throw a message in your face that says something like "blah blah blah security." If it does, you can go to System Preferences> Privacy and Security and click the little button at the bottom. That should force it to open.

Now that its open, click "choose hex" at the top, and navigate to and select the correct firmware (e.g. pistonmk2v20.hex), then click "Write Hex" at the bottom. Should only take a second.

Guinness ftw!
Ras Thavas
applause applause applause applause

Thanks jl, greatly appreciated! I'll take a swing at these later this week when I get time, looks fairly easy (famous last words)...
darylc
Cool, was just looking this up! thumbs up

Now the only question is, Pickit2 or Pickit3 ?? any benefits , I'll be eventually programming some Pic's alright.
jl
darylc wrote:
Now the only question is, Pickit2 or Pickit3 ?? any benefits , I'll be eventually programming some Pic's alright.

I went with the 2, because In searching blindly I had found some things that made it seem easier. There were a lot of forum threads (not here) that seemed to indicate that there was no mac support for pickit3, but at the same time many of them weren't that recent.

There is this: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m575189.aspx

But it seems a bit convoluted.

Also, as far as I can tell, the jar that gives you the gui I linked in the op is not going to work with pickit3. I was able to get pk2cmd running in terminal, but could never get it to accept the device ID of the PH2 ...

Let me know if you get the three to work, though.
Arcade Sinusoid
Jl thanks for posting this!
I received my pikit2 Friday and have been going bonkers trying to figure this out on Mac os.
Gonna try this tonight.
Fingers crossed.
Arcade Sinusoid
Updated applause
Jl thanks for posting the step by step!!! You are the best Guinness ftw!
ianross
does frys sell these pic kits?
sgh
jl wrote:
Also, as far as I can tell, the jar that gives you the gui I linked in the op is not going to work with pickit3.

Hint for PICkit3 users on OS X that want a GUI: download MPLAB X IDE from http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/ (search for the Downloads tab)

Start the installer and when asked what to install - this was one of the last questions in the installer assistant - select IPE only (integrated programmer environment). You don't need the full IDE. I had no issues updating my Hertz Donut mk2 with a PICkit3 on OS X 10.10.4.
mt3
Mucho gracias a todos!
ianross
can i buy a pickit and radioshack or frys?
yannnovak
Has anyone gotten the PicKit2-Programmer-GUI to work in OSX 10.10.4? I had it installed with 10.9 and was able to update my Piston Honda II, but in 10.10 I get an error message saying the application is damaged. I tried reinstalling but it didn't help.
jl
yannnovak wrote:
Has anyone gotten the PicKit2-Programmer-GUI to work in OSX 10.10.4? I had it installed with 10.9 and was able to update my Piston Honda II, but in 10.10 I get an error message saying the application is damaged. I tried reinstalling but it didn't help.

Try ctrl+clicking on it and selecting "choose package contents," then navigate down until you find the 'PickIt2-Programmer-BETA.jar' file. Launch that. The actual applet is fine, its just that something about the way it is packaged gets flagged by 10.10. At least that's what worked for me.
yannnovak
Thank you! I wish I had found your post before frustration had rendered me incapable of reading your initial post it in its entirety. Regardless it worked like a charm.
Ras Thavas
Got to this a little later than expected, and have run into one problem.

Loading of files into bin, and opening of app works fine. However, it can't auto detect my connected module, it shows the command w/ an elipsis and doesn't "find" the PGMKII.

Loading the hex file works fine, but when I click "write" I get a one second scroll thru the progress bar and the line "writing hex" followed by an elipsis, depsite waiting no confirmation occurs, and restarting the module it's still showing all 3 slider LEDs lit up.

I've tried moving the USB connection and flipping the 6 pin Pickit connector, but no dice.

I must be missing something simple, any suggestions?
Ras Thavas
While I'm asking questions, I thought I might clarify just a few more-

First, can anyone give me clear direction on how the Pickit 2 is supposed to plug into the 6 pin connector on the Harvestman modules? There's a big arrow on the Pickit 2, and on the PH Mk ii 6 pin connector, one end pin is marked "ICSP", while on the Zorlon Cannon Mk ii one end pin is marked "83". I could assume the marked pins should be the ones the arrow links up with, but I'd be assuming and we all know what happens then...

Second, does the module need to be powered or not during the upgrade? One poster stated "not powered" and was successful, while the included directions from Harvestman suggest modules must be powered, at least for older modules, not as clear if they mean all modules...

I have a lot of Harvestman, and I know I will be purchasing more in the future. I think it's great updates are available, but it'd be nice if it was a lot easier to accomplish, or at least had more verbose directions, particularly for Mac users. Updating my Circadian Rhythms and Sequencer One was incredibly straightforward.

Ras Thavas wrote:

Loading of files into bin, and opening of app works fine. However, it can't auto detect my connected module, it shows the command w/ an elipsis and doesn't "find" the PGMKII.

Loading the hex file works fine, but when I click "write" I get a one second scroll thru the progress bar and the line "writing hex" followed by an elipsis, depsite waiting no confirmation occurs, and restarting the module it's still showing all 3 slider LEDs lit up.

I've tried moving the USB connection and flipping the 6 pin Pickit connector, but no dice.

ThinLazy
Hi Ras,
Im using a Microchip PICkit2 on OSX 10.6 and having this same problem. Did you ever get the app to find your module?

Update: Tried it again on another machine running OSX 10.10 and worked just as described, yay!

Ras Thavas wrote:

Ras Thavas
ThinLazy wrote:
Hi Ras,
Im using a Microchip PICkit2 on OSX 10.6 and having this same problem. Did you ever get the app to find your module?

Update: Tried it again on another machine running OSX 10.10 and worked just as described, yay!

Thanks ThinLazy, I've just updating my computer so I will be taking another pass at this soon, pretty sure it will work this time.

One remaining question; did you have your module powered still when you did the successful update?
ThinLazy
I did the update with the module disconnected from the power, so no power
Ras Thavas
ThinLazy wrote:
I did the update with the module disconnected from the power, so no power

Thanks for taking the time to post, ThinLazy, I hope to get a chance to revisit upgrading my Harvestman modules this week.
Ras Thavas
The universe is trying to teach me patience; my old Mac was too old to use the command line free app, my new one is evidently too new. Mac OS X 10.11 doesn't allow adding the needed files to the /bin folder. @#$^$@%^%$!!...

I tried the command line approach, moved the hex file to my documents folder and navigated there in Terminal, but entering the the command-

./pk2cmd -PDSPIC33FJ128GP310A /F pistonmk2v21.hex -M

-just gives me "file not found".

As an end user I'm really frustrated, it's not like having a Mac is that unusual, and I've got a lot of Harvestman modules, The Piston Honda, the Lester, the Tyme Safari MKII, Malgorithm MKII, Zorlon MKII, and DA MK I, as well as the Picket 2 that was supposed to make this easy to do smile...

I'm really interested in the new Harvestman Sequencer, but it's slated to use the same updating system as the other older modules. Would it be too much to ask for an updating process that is easy to do and well documented? I'm fine with using the command line, but how about a short video to make this absolutely bullet proof? The alternative, sending modules into Harvestman or a dealer every time there's an upgrade isn't really workable.

Governor, I know you're busy in NAMM right now, and I wish you the absolute best there, but would it be possible to make the upgrade process more robust and transparent for your non-PC customers when you get back?
mt3
Ras Thavas wrote:
The universe is trying to teach me patience; my old Mac was too old to use the command line free app, my new one is evidently too new. Mac OS X 10.11 doesn't allow adding the needed files to the /bin folder. @#$^$@%^%$!!...

I tried the command line approach, moved the hex file to my documents folder and navigated there in Terminal, but entering the the command-

As an end user I'm really frustrated, it's not like having a Mac is that unusual, and I've got a lot of Harvestman modules, The Piston Honda, the Lester, the Tyme Safari MKII, Malgorithm MKII, Zorlon MKII, and DA MK I, as well as the Picket 2 that was supposed to make this easy to do smile...

I'm really interested in the new Harvestman Sequencer, but it's slated to use the same updating system as the other older modules. Would it be too much to ask for an updating process that is easy to do and well documented? I'm fine with using the command line, but how about a short video to make this absolutely bullet proof? The alternative, sending modules into Harvestman or a dealer every time there's an upgrade isn't really workable.

Governor, I know you're busy in NAMM right now, and I wish you the absolute best there, but would it be possible to make the upgrade process more robust and transparent for your non-PC customers when you get back?

I think this is outside of Harvestman realm...

Where is the pk2cmd file located? In the same current directory as the hex file?
You might need to do something like this:

./pk2cmd -PDSPIC33FJ128GP310A /F ./pistonmk2v21.hex -M

Alternatively...

Instead of copying the files to the /bin folder, copy them to /usr/local/bin.
This is the safer, preferred, safe-sex method. You should have the proper permissions already setup by default to install to the usr folder.
Ras Thavas
Thanks mt3 for trying to help, much appreciated!

Unfortunately, while you can write to user/local (there is no user/local/bin), it makes the app unhappy, as it closes after informing that it can't find the necessary files in /bin.

I tried the command line approach again, navigating successfully to the folder containing both the pk2cmd and the hex file, but using either Harvestman's recommended command or the one you suggested the response was "Could not find device "DSPIC33FJ128GP310A." I tried attaching the PICkit2 in both of the possible ways it could be connected, and with both module power on and off, numerous times, but no luck.

I get that this gets into support levels that Scott just doesn't have time for. But if your main product is a line of digital modules, upgrading for end users is important. I've recently upgraded numerous modules using audio boot loaders, usb connections, and micro sd cards, and all have worked easily. I've passed on modules that don't have a user upgrade path for the MacOS, like the Intellijel Shapeshifter.

If this was just the situation for older modules it would make sense, but as this seems to be the plan for future as well with the new Harvestman sequencer, it might be worth taking some time to make this as easy as possible for all. I'd guess that would help drive sales and reduce service requests, after the initial investment of time.

I'll write an email to the Governor when he's back from NAMM and ask if this is something he might have time to do.

mt3 wrote:
I think this is outside of Harvestman realm...

Where is the pk2cmd file located? In the same current directory as the hex file?
You might need to do something like this:

./pk2cmd -PDSPIC33FJ128GP310A /F ./pistonmk2v21.hex -M

Alternatively...

Instead of copying the files to the /bin folder, copy them to /usr/local/bin.
This is the safer, preferred, safe-sex method. You should have the proper permissions already setup by default to install to the usr folder.
ThinLazy
Ras Thavas wrote:

Here's a webpage about disabling the protect on /bin in OSX 10.11, havent done it myself but it may help.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208478/how-do-i-disable-syste m-integrity-protection-sip-aka-rootless-on-os-x-10-11
Ras Thavas
ThinLazy wrote:

Here's a webpage about disabling the protect on /bin in OSX 10.11, havent done it myself but it may help.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208478/how-do-i-disable-syste m-integrity-protection-sip-aka-rootless-on-os-x-10-11

Thanks ThinLazy, I found that as well, but got that "this could turn out poorly" feeling.

I'm ready to work with Terminal (albeit with more expansive instruction), but this is a level of system hacking that arguably I shouldn't have to get into to upgrade a module.
ThinLazy
Dont fear the power of hacking OSX, feel the oneness with your technology by making the computer wield to you, and you can probably turn the safeguards back on when your done.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2