MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard rack, where to buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Wiard rack, where to buy?
leere
I am thinking of buying some modules to expand my other modular
but i wonder, where can i buy the rack with blue ends?

can't find any info on the webpage.
BugBrand
Doubtful on the blue ends, but I know that Graham Hinton has done some racks with his excellent power supply systems::: http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/
chamomileshark
hi, don't really know - e-mail Cary?
slow_riot
The blue frame was sold by Grant when he was building the 300 series modules and is no longer available new. Though I have seen them come up second hand if you are really keen on that for aesthetic reasons.

Hinton Instruments have a 300 series compatible 6U frame for sale that I believe is fully endorsed by Wiard.

It is not blue, but is mechanically superior to the older frame, which used tapped bars for mounting the screws. This is not ideal if you change your modules around a lot, as the threading does wear. The Hinton frame uses drilled holes and locked nuts, so there is no threading to wear out.
leere
it don't have to be a blue frame, as long as it works.
tanks for the tip about hinton. i will look it up smile
flts
Hinton frames work as you'd expect, no problems whatsoever. I have a "standard" 6U rack width one. He can also make custom ones depending on what you need. Nobody else is making Wiard specific frames as far as I know, your other option is to get a blue one used (or ask someone with metalworking tools to put together a custom one for you).
plord
if I am not mistaken, the last 3 original blue Wiard rack frames that went up for sale came out of my system, and I'm all out, so...

Get the Hinton hihi
drumsofd00m
slow_riot wrote:
The blue frame was sold by Grant when he was building the 300 series modules and is no longer available new. Though I have seen them come up second hand if you are really keen on that for aesthetic reasons.

Hinton Instruments have a 300 series compatible 6U frame for sale that I believe is fully endorsed by Wiard.

It is not blue, but is mechanically superior to the older frame, which used tapped bars for mounting the screws. This is not ideal if you change your modules around a lot, as the threading does wear. The Hinton frame uses drilled holes and locked nuts, so there is no threading to wear out.

You can always just redrill the holes on the blue Wiard frames for the same functionality as Hinton's. I'll definitely do so with mine if & when I have time. Just going up in diameter a little bit and drilling all the way through, that's it.
@leere, another advantage of through-hole will be that you can wiggle the modules around a little bit if one has slightly horizontally offset holes (like one of mine). In Grant's original frames, such modules have to be placed next to the cheeks because these can always be held slightly apart from the bars with additional washers.
Of course the drill should still be perfectly straight despite the added room, to provide even pressure on the module panels.

Edit: the outermost holes on each bar should not be drilled all the way through because the screws coming at an angle from the ears will be in the way when everything is mounted. Same thing whether Hinton or original Wiard. Not 100% sure atm but iirc these four holes need to remain as threads for self-tapping screws.
choice_of_meat
There are some on ebay right now.... fyi. not mine. YMMV
carygrace
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is still monitoring it/looking for 19" frames with blue ears, the original ones sold out long ago, but I have now designed a new frame with blue ears, and they will be available very soon.

Please get in touch with me via email (sales at wiard dot com) if interested.

Cary
jdkee
I'll take two. This is fun! This is fun!
carygrace
jdkee wrote:
I'll take two. This is fun! This is fun!

Great, I will send you an email when they are ready to start shipping.
carygrace
Taking orders for frames now.
http://www.wiard.com/modular/300series/frame/index.htm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1