MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Managing the Madness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Managing the Madness
mrcharles
I will now be the owner of three CL instruments - DearCocoDeer (I'll be camped by the door waiting for this Wednesday), Tetrax, and Plumbutter2.

I'm currently running outputs from my modular and CL instruments into an A&H ZED10FX powered mixer (from their it goes to my audio interface and DAW). I would like to keep some of my inputs available for signal processing/etc. and thought a mixer just for my stereo CL instruments would be a good option.

I found the following and wonder if anyone would care to comment or suggest other options...

powered: http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/powermix_iii/

powered: http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=mx28

unpowered: http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/splitmix4/

I admit I'm a bit of a novice with the accessories of audio, but I've read that unpowered mixers can have a significant drop in levels. There is +15 dB available on the ZED stereo inputs and I currently have levels set at less than 0 dB.

The unpowered option is attractive (fewer wallwarts) but wonder if attenuation of passive mixers would be a problem?

While on the subject of consolidation. I've got dedicated wallwarts (2 at present) for each CL instrument. Does anyone know of a power splitter that could output suitable multiple power connections?

I could get one 1500 mA wallwart and drive all three instruments and clean up my powerstrip.

My thanks to all who care to share their wisdom...
fluxmonkey
for about the same money as those powered options, you could get a small behringer mixer with a LOT more features, including FX
Dirty_Bill
For power, this looks cool, but the tails are probably not long enough without additional extensions:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1352?gclid=CLzO077l1MYCFQipaQodFWEBmQ
mrcharles
fluxmonkey... yeah, I could go that way and it may prove to be what I do.

I have to think hard about how to solve these mundane problems. I'm a visual artist and I'm considering some sort of performance for my next opening. I would like the option to move about, so this whole connectivity issue looms large - power and audio signal.

I'm also wondering if I can somehow craft antenna extensions and make an exhibition space (or section thereof) audio interactive. Time to have a look at the CL deerhorn archive.

Dirty Bill... good catch, but they do look way too short and with every additional connection (extension) a new places where problems can occur.

I may end up putting out a commission to someone electrically qualified to craft something for me.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!
Dirty_Bill
I use heat shrink to connect any extensions that I use - that was a quick search, there are probably a LOT of these power distribution parts out in Stomp Box land...
wednesdayayay
when I have my dream CL setup I'll replace my current onyx 820i with this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MixBack?adpos=1o1&creative=5567 4776881&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNOL9cuN1sYCFdgNgQoduLoHew

So much mixer
thresholdpeople
Is it the case of using all the inputs on the mixer at once? If it's a matter of avoiding repatching, why not a patchbay instead of a second mixer?

It's big, but I've got an old Tascam M106 that I got for a great price on ebay pretty much handling the individual outputs from a multi-tap delay. It a good sounding mixer with flexible outputs.

Or, keep an eye out for a Shure Auxpander, those are awesome matrix mixers, and, although they're out of production, the pop up sometimes, and go for around $200.

For more money a Crest XR-20 may be awesome, similar in vibe to Wednesdayayay's pick. They also make a matrix version -- XR20M. I don't recommend their newer X20R, etc... they feel kind of chintzy.
mrcharles
Thanks everyone for your responses.

You've given me some serious food for thought between mixers and patchbays. I think the mixer route is the way for me to go as I'll better control over levels, etc.

Having spent several months with the ZED10FX, I now realize that I probably should have gone for one of the larger ones with more inputs. That is why I thought that one of the smaller auxiliary mixers (like the Rolls or Artproaudio) would be a good choice. I could use the aux mixer to control levels of the three CL instruments and plug that into the ZED board and have 4 mono and 1 stereo inputs available for processing loops and audio inputs from the modular.

The Hear and Crest mixers look amazing...

I was browsing some of the other boards and found the Hinton patchbay ( http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/paprod/modular/pinmix/index.htm ) an interesting option. I wonder if he's still making them (and if there is a US distributor)? Some emails and internet browsing will be my friend here.

Thanks again for helping to kick the cobwebs loose.
mrbloor
I have a zed 14 which I love, it has 4 sends which is great. I like to get lots going on, sending signals to pedals, back into channels then sending to other pedals. Sometimes I run out of channels, I have a smaller mixer I use live so sometimes I use that as a submix. I also have 2 of the Art splitmix passive boxes which are great especially as they are 4 in 2 out or 2 in 4 out, very useful. Cabling is also useful, I have some 2 into 1 summed mono cables so sometimes it's good to take the output of plumbutter from a stereo into a mono channel to free up the stereo channels.

Personally I like options and the flexibility of using a selection of mixers, cables, sub mixers to create a track.
mrcharles
mrbloor wrote:
I have a zed 14 which I love, it has 4 sends which is great. I like to get lots going on, sending signals to pedals, back into channels then sending to other pedals. Sometimes I run out of channels, I have a smaller mixer I use live so sometimes I use that as a submix. I also have 2 of the Art splitmix passive boxes which are great especially as they are 4 in 2 out or 2 in 4 out, very useful. Cabling is also useful, I have some 2 into 1 summed mono cables so sometimes it's good to take the output of plumbutter from a stereo into a mono channel to free up the stereo channels.

Personally I like options and the flexibility of using a selection of mixers, cables, sub mixers to create a track.

mrbloor... good to hear you've had success with a configuration close to what I thought of when I started my considerations.

Do you notice a significant drop in signal strength using the Art splitmix boxes?
mrbloor
not really thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1