MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Beatstep pro+low gain utility+coco?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Beatstep pro+low gain utility+coco?
Mashmore
This seems to be a fairly cheap way to expand the cocoquantus? Am I missing anything? If the beatstep pro can do midi to cv conversion.. that will be the icing on the cake.but for $350 for both this seems like a no brainier. Gonna read up now. This is the utl-1 I'm thinking of btw
http://www.lowgain-audio.com/images/product/UTL1-Angle-01.gif
Thoughts?

Cheers
Hainbach
I use the Korg SQ-1 to sequence the Coco via a similar conversion box. You can here it in the up and down high notes in this track:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/hainbach/ten-bars-and-a-sigh[/s]

No experience with the Beatstep Pro, but it should work similarly.
Mashmore
Hainbach wrote:
I use the Korg SQ-1 to sequence the Coco via a similar conversion box. You can here it in the up and down high notes in this track:

It was this track that threw me over the edge on wanting to expand the coco. Love your works sir. The sq-1 is much cheaper and probably a more sensable option considering the coco is the only real "hardware" I have. The conversion box seems a must have in the long term so I'm going to order soon.

Shit, I was even eyeballing the ms-20 as a semi affordable way to expand. I would love if some peeps uploaded some Coco conversion box interfacing/simple vids.

Cheers
wednesdayayay
I have several plumbutter and original ms20 videos from my visit with my family

https://www.youtube.com/user/npichon1/videos

they are pretty old though

seems like they played well together from what I remember
Hainbach
Mashmore wrote:
Hainbach wrote:

It was this track that threw me over the edge on wanting to expand the coco. Love your works sir. The sq-1 is much cheaper and probably a more sensable option considering the coco is the only real "hardware" I have. The conversion box seems a must have in the long term so I'm going to order soon.

Shit, I was even eyeballing the ms-20 as a semi affordable way to expand. I would love if some peeps uploaded some Coco conversion box interfacing/simple vids.

Cheers

Thank you!

Regarding the conversion box - its really simple. You plug the ground from the coco into it and then you can interact with any CV signal or audio audio that is minijack.

I love hooking up the Coco to the modular that way, as you can send envelopes to the VCAs, thus making it sound in sync to the patch. Or the SQ-1 for example is perfect for sequencing the time, thus making it play melodies. MS-20 would be nice, but something cheap like Doepfer Beauty case and a A-143-1 quad envelope would also be a brainmangling addition.

I agree in that with little hardware that the SQ-1 is a nice solution. Plus with all the drama around the Beatstep Pro right (missed triggers, ground loops, etc.) I'd wait until the pioneers (thanks guys! cool ) got the arrows and settle in when its been patched.
thresholdpeople
I've recently got Meng Qi's Voltage Memory going with the Coco. Woah.. I haven't even plugged it into the Quantussy section yet, but sequencing the flips and skips adds a lot of rhythmic control to the looping.

It's quite nice on the VCAs too, but kind of wish I had a slew I could run the voltage through first, as that Raster-Noton kind of sound is not always desirable.

I am just a bit worried though cause the gate from it puts out 10 volts. I tried it before I check the voltage and everything worked fine, but I may stick a resistor in series with it, just to make sure nothing happens.
limpmeat
I have a relevant question.

What voltages play nice with CL gear? I have a PB and have just built a banana to 3.5mm adaptor box so I can modulate the PB with my euro.

Kinda scared to plug it in though.

I guess positive voltages only? under 10v?

Anyone know?
Dirty_Bill
limpmeat wrote:

What voltages play nice with CL gear? I have a PB and have just built a banana to 3.5mm adaptor box so I can modulate the PB with my euro.

Anyone know?

This topic has been covered in many threads here, but you guessed the essence - From Peter (when asked about negative CVs):

"The ciat stuff can handle negative voltages
because all the inputs have either built-in attenuators or voltage
limiters, so you shouldn't notice a problem. In general, though, they
follow the philosophy of serge and buchla, that cvs "should be" positive
gradients going from zero to ten or so
. I've found that the more you talk
about it, the more it wraps your head up; the more you experiment, you'll
probably find something you like... Hope that helps!"
Donderdag
limpmeat wrote:

Anyone know?

I often use my euro and PB together with a home-made adapter box. I just avoid putting anything from the euro into the brown jacks on the Rollz and haven't had any issues so far following this approach thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1