MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MI modules DIY: hex and binary files
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author MI modules DIY: hex and binary files
apoisontree
I work on Windows 7 and I have tried for several days to compile the bootloaders and firmwares for the DIY versions of the Mutable Instr. modules with no success. I tried several softwares, read a lot of tutorials, watched some videos. No matter what, I kept getting error messages and drowned into despair.
Looking at the code, I came to the conclusion that the syntax wasn't compatible with Windows target commands.

I talked about this problem here
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133272&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=500

and several wigglers contacted me in private to testify that they had the very same problems and couldn't compile the code on Windows either. And some of them offered to send me the files they compiled (or had compiled by a friend) on OSX or Linux.

So now with their full approval and support ( thumbs up we're not worthy ), I am posting the compiled codes here. Kudos to them and my heartfelt gratitude.

We are still missing the files for Frames, Edges and Streams, so if you have them and feel like sharing them, please post them here or send them in private and I'll add the files to the list. Thanks in advance!

The binaries include both the bootloader and the firmware, whereas with the the hex files you need to load first the bootloader and then the firmware.

Other files can be found here (mega kudos to hadesbox!):
https://github.com/hadesbox/eurorack-with-binaries/tree/master/build
lintfresh
Yeah, I'm no expert (I'm on Mac and Linux) but from what I hear coding/compiling C/C++ in windows is REALLY problematic. I think a lot of windows folks set up Linux machines, virtual or otherwise, to deal with this.
BARE BONES
thanks for this! as a Windows user I had the fear about compiling these myself
cnicht
Is there a HEX file for Grids out there?
LektroiD
I can't seem to open the Braids file on my mac, Peaks and Elements open fine.

Braids opens into a .bin file which then opens into a .bin.cpgz, which then opens into a folder containing another .bin file. And round in circles we go...

Anyone got the .hex of Braids they could kindly upload?
LektroiD
I'll also need a Tides soon (again, it seems to get caught up in that .bin loop, as I described in my last message).

Anyone out there kind enough to help out? I just can't seem to compile them on my mac... Yes, I have followed the instructions closely, I spent a whole day on it, turns out one of the files for the toolchain would not download (0 bytes)...

Would be very much appreciated if anyone who has made a successful build of the Tides and Braids to upload them here (the .hex files, Not the .bin ones posted above).
apoisontree
I have added the braids bootloader+firm combo (v1.5) posted by Olivier Gillet himself on the MI forum (so it was compiled on Mac OS).

Can't do anything else to help you except forward you to the MacOS tutorial on the MI forum. Apparently Mac users can compile the files very easily.
http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/4344/mac-tutorial-how- to-compile-and-upload-the-firmware-of-mis-eurorack-modules/p1

So... anybody willing to share the Frames, Streams, Yarns, Edges and Grids compiled files to complete this small library for the benefit of all DIYers?
LektroiD
apoisontree wrote:
I have added the braids bootloader+firm combo (v1.5) posted by Olivier Gillet himself on the MI forum (so it was compiled on Mac OS).

Can't do anything else to help you except forward you to the MacOS tutorial on the MI forum. Apparently Mac users can compile the files very easily.
http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/4344/mac-tutorial-how- to-compile-and-upload-the-firmware-of-mis-eurorack-modules/p1

So... anybody willing to share the Frames, Streams, Yarns, Edges and Grids compiled files to complete this small library for the benefit of all DIYers?

Doesn't work… I get stuck at step 1.1:

Code:
ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”

Code:
-e:1: Invalid char `\342' in expression
-e:1: Invalid char `\200' in expression
-e:1: Invalid char `\234' in expression

and at 1.2:

Code:
brew install mpfr gmp libmpc libelf texinfo

Code:
-bash: brew: command not found

And further in:

Code:
make install-cross

Code:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
curl -LO https://sourcery.mentor.com/GNUToolchain/package12773/public/arm-none- eabi/arm-2014.05-28-arm-none-eabi.src.tar.bz2
LektroiD
Like I said, I have already spent a whole day trying to make this work, I will just spend another chasing my tail with this.

PLEASE would someone upload the .HEX files for Tides and Braids.

Thank you smile
apoisontree
Are you uploading the files with STlink v2 and the STlink utility?
LektroiD
apoisontree wrote:
Are you uploading the files with STlink v2 and the STlink utility?

Well I would if I had the .hex files. I can't upload without the files. The Clouds went in perfectly using the ST-Link. It will not accept a .bin file though.
adam
the brew "command not found" bit suggests that brew isn't installed, not sure about the first bit
LektroiD
adam wrote:
the brew "command not found" bit suggests that brew isn't installed, not sure about the first bit

This is where I start chasing my tail... Just give us the .hex files!!! we're not worthy
gbiz
brew isn't there because the ruby command is failing - that installs brew.

This is covered in the ~10th post in that MI thread. It uses the wrong double quotes. Try replacing them with regular ones.
adam
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
LektroiD
gbiz wrote:

This is covered in the ~10th post in that MI thread. It uses the wrong double quotes. Try replacing them with regular ones.

Done. Seems to work...

All steps have been followed, but where are the .hex files?

PLEASE Would someone kindly upload the HEX files for Tides and Braids!!!!

I can not take another whole day wasted on this stuff.

Why cant they just supply the hex files anyway, why make it so difficult?
adam
if you type

ls then enter you might see them
magneticstripper
Braids Hex
magneticstripper
We should make a Braids version with the encoder reversed.
adam
thanks - yes reversed encoder sounds good
adam
https://github.com/hadesbox/eurorack-with-binaries
latigid on
LektroiD wrote:
gbiz wrote:

Done. Seems to work...

All steps have been followed, but where are the .hex files?

PLEASE Would someone kindly upload the HEX files for Tides and Braids!!!!

I can not take another whole day wasted on this stuff.

Why cant they just supply the hex files anyway, why make it so difficult?

I think if Olivier had wanted to precompile the hex files he would have. One reason he didn't was that his ethics dictate that information should be shared freely. With uncompiled files, you actually get a chance to see how the code and programming works, thus it is a learning reference. It also puts a entry level on getting started, if the SMT is not enough smile. Compare this to some DIY suppliers: you buy a pre-programmed PIC or other MCU as part of the kit. They have decided to keep their IP closed source and charge you for it, which is their call.

I would hope at least that you are deriving a challenge from the hardware side, otherwise you are just getting a cut price MI module.
apoisontree
hadesbox, whoever you are

And thanks adam for pointing that to us!
adam
smile
BARE BONES
magneticstripper wrote:
We should make a Braids version with the encoder reversed.

yes please!, mines backward at the moment
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4