MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Encoder Audio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Encoder Audio
venus_3036
for what its worth, i find Source a lot easier to work with the new interface..
snaper
venus_3036 wrote:
for what its worth, i find Source a lot easier to work with the new interface..

It's so good to hear this. That was the original target grin
jbuonacc
snaper wrote:
jbuonacc's question made me think...
Is the UI really that much important?

as much as i hate to admit it, UI plays a pretty big role in how i feel about using certain softsynths and fx.

i don't think i'm alone in this at all though, look what it did for U-he 'Diva'... without the pretty pictures of all those iconic synth "modules", i don't think it would be anywhere near as popular as it is. while a very nice general "analog" softsynth, i don't think it's quite the synth that people make it out to be. Aalto as well, the design is gorgeous, but the sound of it has never really excited me. (feel bad saying that about either of them, as the devs are really cool guys.) ... also, besides their sound and function, i think this played a huge role in the popularity of the classic Roland synths and drum machines. they just looked so damn nice, especially compared to most of the competition.

in your case (again, hate to say it), i don't think i would have paid much attention to these devices if they hadn't looked so beautifully Buchla-esque (love the Buchla design aesthetic). i think they would have just been another of a thousand other M4L devices that i don't pay much attention to. i've had M4L for years, never bother with it for some reason. as much as i love Ableton, there's certain things about the design that just doesn't turn me on. (probably missing out on a lot of cool M4L devices because of this.) thankfully though, i did pay attention, and have maintained an interest in your products as they've been released. like i said though, i think the V2 designs are very nice and possibly even better than the originals when it comes to actually using them (can't say myself).

i have similar feelings about women (as well as cars and all sorts of other things), as shallow as that sounds. if i'm not excited by their looks, then my interest/enthusiasm drops considerably.
thetechnobear
I think Im with jbuonacc on this...

I dont think Id initially tried the M4L devices without seeing the Buchla interface... I think this is because, having seen how much care and attention you'd taken on the UI, I thought it was possible you had spent the same on the sound... which is what I'm really after.

BUT .. I do think that the new UI is better, clearer, easier to use.
(ok, except perhaps the fonts is a bit small at times wink)

perhaps for me, its just M4L devices generally have been pretty uninspiring - often just simple wrappers around Max objects, sonically uninteresting.
perhaps I dare say 'amateurish' because they are so easy to build.

your UI made you stand out from that... as the 'effort' was clear to see.

Im sure this 'generalisation' of M4L devices is wrong, and I miss out on some great devices - but how to sort the wheat from the chaff.

of course the other reason for not spending much time on M4L devices, is the fact they are not portable to other DAWs, but thats a different point.... I think you would have a much bigger market if you produced these as VSTs
shreeswifty
perhaps you're looking at M4L as a consumer instead of a participant. Uninspiring if you want to buy it, triumphant if you were the one who made it.
I've made a few and i always learn from the nice ones i see and i DO support designers who make really awesome deep ones for a living but most people in M4L share them because they are learning Max. If you are asking for money for them they better be inspiring IMHO.
thetechnobear
interesting... possibly true
I actually love using M4L to create devices for my own purposes, but I'm not that interested in buying them, so I dont seek them out.

as i said, the encoder audio stuff jumped out at me, with a 'wow', Ive gotta try this - which often I wouldn't bother with.

(I think in much the same way about Reaktor instruments/ensembles... I like creating, but only even bought 1, that again jumped out at me and said... gotta try this!)
shreeswifty
yeah it's really nice
the Hyaaken stuff is top notch too
secretkillerofnames
Just a question about Spektral 2...

... can anyone confirm to what degree the bands are boosted and cut.
Can you completely attenuate a band or is it +/- 24dB?

Just curious because from the demo video it seems rather subtle.
snaper
secretkillerofnames wrote:

If every slider is down, then it is completely silent.
secretkillerofnames
snaper wrote:

Thanks. Bought it anyway.
Was watching Todd Barton's video on the 296e.
I'm trying to use the Push 2 with it and it would be more useful if there was a way to add direct control to each band so that I don't have to use a mouse / trackpad. Looking at the parameters in Max I see you haven't built this functionality in - how hard would it be to have invisible encoders that can manipulate the data within the slider banks?
snaper
snaper wrote:

I'm trying to use the Push 2 with it and it would be more useful if there was a way to add direct control to each band so that I don't have to use a mouse / trackpad. Looking at the parameters in Max I see you haven't built this functionality in - how hard would it be to have invisible encoders that can manipulate the data within the slider banks?

Would be a bit tricky, but I'll take a look. Sliders are not M4L objects, they're Max objects, so addressing them from Live is a bit complicated, but let me take a look;)
snaper
snaper wrote:
snaper wrote:

Would be a bit tricky, but I'll take a look. Sliders are not M4L objects, they're Max objects, so addressing them from Live is a bit complicated, but let me take a look;)

After a few sleepless nights, I can say, that it can't be done with keeping the actual form. The multislider objectm used to set the bands can't be automated from Live, don't know why can't Live process lists, but anyway, not working.
The only solution is that if you use 2x16 sliders, in that case it will work, but you won't be able to "swipe with the mouse" to set all the bands "at once", you have to select and set band-by-band :S
thetechnobear
You could have hidden dials , which update the multi slider when their values are changed. These dials are automatable and visible from push.
( ie the multislider is used solely for mouse/display purposes , the hidden dials for push and automation, but they are kept in sync with each other.)
snaper
thetechnobear wrote:
You could have hidden dials , which update the multi slider when their values are changed. These dials are automatable and visible from push.
( ie the multislider is used solely for mouse/display purposes , the hidden dials for push and automation, but they are kept in sync with each other.)

That was my initial idea, but right now, it seems, Live can't handle lists, which is neccesary for this device.
Will give another try today, but...
snaper
Ok, a very helpful person, called "BACK" suggested a solution, and dang, it works.
Now, you can automate all of the 2x16 bands individually grin
Looks and sounds amazing.

Will test it, but update will come in this weekend. . . hopefully grin
snaper
Conclusion : never give up grin
secretkillerofnames
Nice one! applause
snaper
My first record under the alias 'encoder' was released last day on MenschMusik :

http://menschmusik.com/index.php/vinyl-mensch/23-mensch-4

http://www.encoderaudio.com/our-music.html

Used mostly modular stuff for production, all of them DIY.
Let me say a big thank you to all of the helpful guys here, without you, this would sound totally different grin

Also, thanks to Marco, at Mensch, who made this release reality.
snaper
Introducing Fortrek

Fortrek is inspired by the old, four track, casette based multitrack recorders.
Nowadays, these machines are used by experimental artists, with cutted and taped, "endless loop" casettes to create drones, ambient textures and background noises.
With Fortrek, you can enjoy the creative benefits of this technique, without cutting tapes and recording / overdubbing loops.

justscratch
snaper wrote:
Introducing Fortrek

so much magic!
Funky40
need some help please:
got me Luminist and spektral

now how to handle .amxd files ?
the surch brought up:
double klick the file, it opens in Live, then save as a user preset
1. would this be the way to handle .amxd files in general ?

now:
when i have loaded Luminist respectivly Spectral does
_first: the save option not work
_second: is my Live 9 ( latest version/OSX 10.11) frozen. i have to quit with cmd+Q
2. what can i do ?
Funky40
Funky40 wrote:
need some help please:

now how to handle .amxd files ?

nobody ?

i understand that you Guys canĀ“t comment on the crashes i have with the encoder audio units.
some help with handling .amxd files would be very welcome, ........even more so considering my problems.
snaper
Could you drop me a mail?
encoderaudio@gmail.com
Funky40
yup. Thanks !
snaper
"sneak peek"

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8