MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

has anyone built a hex zone?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author has anyone built a hex zone?
johnnymad
i'll be ordering a hex zone in a couple of days. i can't decide whether to get it assembled or to build it myself. the kit costs $82 less, which could go towards more modules. i've built two blacet kits and 10 or so other diy modules, so i have some building experience.

i'd like some insight from anyone who's actually built one. the blacet site says it's the hardest module to build. i just don't want to spend that much money and screw it up.
tragedybysyntax
Doesnt look that bad to me man.... prolly just have to make sure you align all the pcb's nicely by tacking them before final install. I'm going for a kit myself
Kwote
there's plenty of tips on blacet's tech corner page:

http://www.blacet.com/tech.html

allignment is the biggest issue on this one. you've built plenty and done well so i think you're up for this.

when i get my 2nd i'll go for the kit. i always intended on the kit qualified or not to build it but i got lucky and found one from Noisebug for only 20 bucks more than the kit so of course i had to swoop it.
johnnymad
yeah. i'm leaning towards the kit now. that extra money would almost cover another power supply.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
yeah. i'm leaning towards the kit now. that extra money would almost cover another power supply.

it could probably fully cover one if you were able to get it used wink
johnnymad
i've been trying to find a couple racks and a ps500 used, but no success. very frustrating
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i've been trying to find a couple racks and a ps500 used, but no success. very frustrating

have you tried the blacet mailing list? i've had my most success for those types of items there.

one thing i've learned is when buying things on the forum going for the stuff that's already posted is best. WTB posts are generally better used in the mailing groups. a lot of guys on there will just have stuff they wouldn't have even thought of selling if it weren't for someone asking. just make sure you have them contact you off list. it's sorta disrespectful and not very professional to make deals within the list and the moderators may even keep things from passing through. not too sure about the moderators but no need to find out.
johnnymad
cool. i'll check that out. is that the one that's on blacet's site?
sandyb
johnnymad wrote:

i noticed that noisebug have a ps500 in their specials section - $75 i think
johnnymad
sandyb wrote:

SWEET!! i just emailed them. thanks for telling me. applause
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
sandyb wrote:

SWEET!! i just emailed them. thanks for telling me. applause

woah. i need to start lookin over there.

@ johnny, yup you can sign up at the blacet site.
johnnymad
WOO HOO!!! w00t the power supply is mine. thanks sandyb! i've read about noise bug in other peoples' posts, but wasn't sure if it was a blog or another forum or whatever. now i know, and knowing is half the battle.
Kwote
speakin of noisebug and hex zones i have them to thank for mine. buyitnow on ebay for only 20 bucks more than the kit price!!

they said it was a demo model that had barely been touched. so basically brand spankin new.

good to know they actually have a little section on their site for bargain frac. they never post any of the frac stuff on ebay. just Euro.
johnnymad
i'm going to order a hex zone next week. i made a killing on ebay. i'm also ordering a binary zone and maybe a miniwave. i'm gonna have some fun once they're all built!
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i made a killing on ebay.

I know the feeling *high five*

johnnymad wrote:
i'm also ordering a binary zone and maybe a miniwave. i'm gonna have some fun once they're all built!

good luck on that mini-wave i got rejected trying to order that months ago. they've been outta stock ever since.
johnnymad
i might wait on the miniwave. i think two new modules is a good enough for now, especially a hex and bz. hyper
eyehue
i'll bet Hex and Binary are amazing together. Hex is on my shortlist, and i LOVE my Binary!
johnnymad
just ordered a hex zone and binary zone. It's peanut butter jelly time! now i have to play the waiting game. i hope blacet's shipping is back on track.
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
just ordered a hex zone and binary zone. It's peanut butter jelly time! now i have to play the waiting game. i hope blacet's shipping is back on track.

gaw dam. right on bruh!
johnnymad
i just finished building my hex. the build wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. alignment was the really tricky part. it took a while to get everything lined up behind the front panel. the pushbutton switches were probably the biggest pain. now on to the miniwave...whenever it comes in the mail. w00t
Kwote
yeah alignment is what's pushed as the issue on blacet's site. i'm still thinking a 2nd Hex would be lovely but it's hard to gauge if/when that'll happen for me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1