MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CED - Eurorack Tuner | Sub octave generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author CED - Eurorack Tuner | Sub octave generator
elektrosamplist
Hi guys,

[EDIT]

The current way of producing these is not really fun for me, and is now obsolete as the guy who was doing part of the module assembly does not want to keep doing this work.
I am trying to find a solution but this is currently not high priority, as I am quite busy with the Micromonsta production and the development of a new module.

However, the CED module is not discontinued and I do plan to keep selling it in the future.

[/EDIT]

As a follow up from another thread talking about Eurorack tuners, I am opening this new thread to get some feedback about a tuner module I have designed for the Eurorack format.

It's a very minimal design, in a compact 2HP format (50mm depth inc power cable (w/o cable clamp)), with 12 LEDs indicating both the detected note and the offset vs the perfect tuned note.

2 display modes available via the mode button:

In strobe mode, a led is moving. The more out of tune, the faster it moves and vice versa.
A brighter blinking LED indicates the detected note.
When you're +-10 cents from the ideal pitch, it starts blinking faster.
When you're +-5 cents from it, it blinks even faster.

The second mode is more precise.
A row of LEDs indicate how far you're from the ideal pitch.
No LED = 0.5 cent
1 LED = 1 cent
2 LEDs = 3 cents
3 LEDs = 5 cents
From there each LED adds 5 cents

Quick demo here:

Sorry the audio is really bad (HP bleed into cam mic, this says it all...) but the important part is the video.

As I feel that even 2 HP is larger than needed for an accessory module (and it's been quite a challenge to get the module as small as this), it is not only a tuner, it also has a sub output, delivering a square wave 1 or 2 octaves below the input signal.
For those who prefer a thru out instead of a sub (don't you like multiples? wink ) the module can be turned into a thru output module with 2 jumpers on the pcb. The faceplate is reversible (different switch behavior = different silkscreen).

Controls:
Mode button (strobe/calibration) A 2s press will turn off the tuner in sub configuration
Switch (sub config: octave (-1/-2) | thru config: on/off)

Hidden settings:
- the base frequency can be tuned from 432Hz to 445Hz
- 4 led brightness modes (low/mid/hi/max contrast between blink note and note accuracy)
Those 2 settings are accessible when the module starts and are saved to eeprom's module (no need to set this each time you start your modular).

Modulargrid panel mockup (sub out version)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-ced

Pic:

Technical stuff

Quote:
This tuner is based on a frequency counter.
So no DSP, sampling rate, frequency domain, etc... as this is totally irrelevant here.

This also means several things:
- It will be unable to tune complex waveforms, especially those involving the mixing of several waveforms (supersaw for example).
The cloud generator for example has 8 internal sines / saws that can be detuned, a frequency counter cannot calculate the pitch of those generated waveforms, because they are a blend of multiple (detuned) ones.
- It is very accurate (more than a regular guitar tuner) .My calcs show that my algorithm can detect pitch with 0.1 cent accuracy (on the whole frequency range). Currently the module displays a difference of 1 cent, so it can be used to calibrate VCOs too.
- It allows the generation of a very accurate square wave sub oscillator

I know this is not the kind of module for everyone (well that could be true for any module out there...), as it's easy to tune with an iphone or with ableton live, but if you need a self contained system, there is no option available atm.

Cheers,
Samuel.
atte
Looking good, will buy if the price is right hihi

How does it tell me say that my C is a little flat? a little sharp? What does sub out do? And the button + switch?
a100user
Great idea and useful.
elektrosamplist
A (brighter) flashing LED shows the note and the accuracy is displayed at the same time, differently depending on the chosen mode (the mode button).

One is a kind of strobing LED (no move = perfect tuning), on the other one, the more LED are turned on, the less accurate you are - starting either on top or bottom to indicate flat or sharp. It's hard to describe, not sure it's understandable, a short video should do way better, I'll try to do this shortly.

Those modes may change a bit depending on the first real life testing reports.

Sub out: square wave output, either 1 or 2 octaves (chosen via the switch) below the input signal.
meatbeatz
very handy!
insula
love love love love

Drunken Homer Simpson
euromorcego
looks very good! Will it be available, as complete module, as kit? I would certainly be interested. The suboscillator is a nice idea. Another useful feature would be to output a reference voltage, like 2V oder 5V .
elektrosamplist
@euromorcego the problem with this particular module is that, in order to reach 2HP, the main board is 100% SMD.
Thru hole would have been 3HP (at least).

So I'm not sure selling this as a kit may save lots of money in the end (from a buyer's perspective), as the main board would have to be assembled before hand anyway.
insula
elektrosamplist wrote:
@euromorcego the problem with this particular module is that, in order to reach 2HP, the main board is 100% SMD.
Thru hole would have been 3HP (at least).

So I'm not sure selling this as a kit may save lots of money in the end (from a buyer's perspective), as the main board would have to be assembled before hand anyway.

i want it!!! nanners
timothyjr
Oooooooh very interesting! Price?
Royalston
I'd buy this but I'd love a 'through' instead of the sub...then you can leave it in the path and check that everything remains in tune during a patch. Thats just me maybe
The Disquiet
Interesting!

How stable is the reference/master tuning? Does it compensate for heat differences or fluctuating voltages on the board?

Can you set an alternative reference freq (for example A=442 hz instead of A=440 hz ?)
woodenbox
This looks sooo awesome!!! I think tuning as well as polyphony is all too underrepresented in the eurorack format. I think you have done a very good job of fitting this into a 2HP module especially with the sub out. I'm really interested in this both as a SMD kit and assembled module.
ngarjuna
Even though I have a tuner I love this could come in very handy in the live rig. Very interested!
atte
Royalston wrote:
I'd buy this but I'd love a 'through' instead of the sub...then you can leave it in the path and check that everything remains in tune during a patch. Thats just me maybe

+1
ben_hex
Certainly an interesting little module. Looking forward to the video showing how the tuning is represented (flat, sharp, perfectly in tune).
Randy
Count me interested too, and the video would be really helpful.

Randy
bc3
Finally! Thanks for making this, I'm in! Guinness ftw!
hangars liquides
Très bonne idée Monsieur, go for it !
hamildad
yep interested and happy to lose the sub for a through as well.
elektrosamplist
Thanks for the comments.
I'll try to answer the questions.

Quote:

I perfectly understand this and I went with a sub out instead for several reasons :
- If you want to tune a vco that has several waveforms, you can use an unused one for the tuner
- I wanted to give something more than just a tuner, something that could be useful in a patch
-Maybe you have a stackable lying somewhere?

The module could be easily modded to output thru instead of sub, but that would mean the switch does nothing...

Any other people either absolutely wanting a thru out or not caring for the sub output?

Quote:
How stable is the reference/master tuning? Does it compensate for heat differences or fluctuating voltages on the board?
Can you set an alternative reference freq (for example A=442 hz instead of A=440 hz ?)

As stable as a 20MHz crystal can be, so very stable.
It's also very accurate, more than my polytune (maybe too much for a VCO in fact?).

Alternative reference freq: not yet, but yes it can be useful.

Quote:
Price?

TBD.
I am now sure it will be less than 100€ inc VAT (83€ / USD 91 ex VAT)

Keep in mind that all decisions were made to make the module fit within 2HP (and things would be different with 4HP - but do you really want a 4HP tuner?) and not too deep (a bit less than 55mm inc power cable)
tiny333
I deffo want a tuner ...

I think the thro is a much better idea than the sub tbh

I understand your desire to make it more than just a tuner

But it is a tuner i would rather it did that .... Thro very handy in a tuner

nanners
ngarjuna
+1 to preferring a through to the sub. It would mean I could have a VCO (per tuner that I bought) which I could freak out with the tuning and return it to pitch without patching or unpatching. That would actually offer me something I don't think any of my other modules do.

Granted, I could just leave a multed line from any VCO handy and do this anyway without the need for a through. So I don't see it as a make or break, it's useful to me as a tuner either way.
euromorcego
elektrosamplist wrote:

Any other people either absolutely wanting a thru out or not caring for the sub output?

I'd definitely prefer the sub to a thru ... the input is an audio signal and there is usually no problem using a passive mult (or stackcable) with audio if you just keep it connected to the tuner. So a through do not seem to gives that much additional benefit.

A sub-oscillator in 2hp, however, would be very useful even if there is no tuner attached to it ...

Things would be different if it was a voltmeter that measures pitch cv, then a buffered thru would be the obvious choice.

[and of course a reference voltage, or several: stepping through octaves with the button cool ]
clarte
Want smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11