MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PROJECT] Music Thing USB Stick Euro Power Supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author [PROJECT] Music Thing USB Stick Euro Power Supply
Tombola
I just put this up on my Github, for anyone foolhardy enough to build one, or enthusiastic enough to take the concept further.

Stupid USB Power <-- Eagle/Gerber files + more documentation here

This is a USB Stick Eurorack Power supply.
    * It takes +5v from USB power, and turns it into +/-12v and also passes along the 5v.
    * The board also includes a simple passive headphone output; the 3.5mm mono socket goes through a 50k Volume Pot into the stereo headphone socket. This didn't work well with three-connector iphone earbuds, but was fine with normal stereo headphones.
    * Seems to work well with portable USB batteries.
    * The IR0512S is rated 125mA on +12v and -12v, but that seems quite conservative. The Dixie+Turing+Radio Music in the photo below ran quite happily, with an expected current draw of 160mA on +12v, 52mA on -12v. The converter module was warm but certainly not hot. The whole thing was drawing 600mA from the USB port.

Reasons why this is stupid:
    d'oh! There are no fuses or protection devices anywhere in the circuit. If you plug this plus $800 worth of modules into a $2000 laptop, you're taking a risk. NB: Do not do this.
    d'oh! There is no filtering in the system, so there will be clock noise from the converter on the rails. The datasheet and my measurements suggest it's in the 60-85khz range. Do not use this to play live or record your new album.
    d'oh! 125mA isn't very much power. Just because the module seems to run above that rating doesn't mean it's safe or reliable.
    d'oh! Designing this as a memory stick is conceptually strong, but it would be much safer and easier to use with a female USB socket and a short cable.
    d'oh! Keyed headers are not reverse power protection.

Jack Gull
well this is something i would NOT attach to my macbook as it would stop working at 501mA current draw... and maybe other reasons.

though it's a fun and interesting approach. it could also be an introduction to "stupid" switching converters... you know, educational stuff grin
skookum
Reasons why this is awesome:

zombie Just look at it!
Tombola
skookum wrote:
Reasons why this is awesome:

zombie Just look at it!

SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
jamsk
This is both awesome and terrifying. Like a roller coaster or Brockwell park on a Friday night. Mr. Green thumbs up
Jarno
With a mini or micro usb connector, you could hook it up using a cable, rather than plugging it in directly.
But, as shown with the powerbank, pretty good. Maybe just throw it at the bottom of a skiff, wiggle outside.
mmelnick
cold_fashioned
I think the concept is great. I can think of a way to make a small box for a few modules to scratch the itch while out camping or on an airplane, perhaps. I'm not sure I'm bold enough to attempt this just yet, though. However, if someone gets some pcbs made, I would be interested in one.
Tombola
cold_fashioned wrote:
a way to make a small box for a few modules

Yes, I'm trying to think of a more modern version of the doepfer beauty case; shallower, maybe folding flat, maybe laser cut cardboard or acrylic, powered from USB maybe with a little mixer utility
c1t1zen

I can send you the measurements for this tiny case.

Current module config would be to much power but I have an idea for another mini-case using your USB power idea. Thanks for sharing.
NS4W
cute!
snaper
I think its great.
I mean, with an iphone/samsung charger with USB plug its a great tittle stuff to test modules.
Will you improve it or something like this?
If there will be an improved, safer version at Thonk, I will give it a try, maybe I can replace my actual test supply.
oootini
Thinking about this one a lot the last few days. I think it's a great idea - gives you a really simple DIY test jig to test your builds. no need for silly 12AC wall wart. great.

i would definitely do two things:

* add a female USB connection instead of male.
hello:

* put a simple LFO on the board to test CV inputs - full test rig!
SIMPLE LFO

I'm playing around with PCB design at the moment, so i think these additions would be a great beginners project.

Thanks Tom! Guinness ftw!
falafelbiels
Oooh I'd like something like this for on the workbench!

testing modules while you work on them, can much go wrong here?
TimoRozendal
interesting!... btw, for the same price you can buy the 250mA version of the IR0512S, the IR0512SA, is that also a feasible option?

the pins look a bit different, is it an idea to change the design to support both? or do I miss something?
LoFi Junglist
falafelbiels wrote:
can much go wrong here?

hihi
NS4W
Do you have ay extra PCBs of this?
Tombola
NS4W wrote:
Do you have ay extra PCBs of this?

I have two, PM and I'll send you one. It's is also possible to build with a (slightly modified) female USB header.
ac
TimoRozendal wrote:
interesting!... btw, for the same price you can buy the 250mA version of the IR0512S, the IR0512SA, is that also a feasible option?

If I'm reading the datasheet correctly the IR0512SA is capable of 250ma because it's +12 only and not +-12.

I keep coming back to this project though, it could really be useful to run a few modules off of a USB phone charger. I don't think there's a good solution out there for a small amount of power without a large wall-wart, is there?

Ideally I'd like to move my Expert Sleepers ES-3,5,6 into their own little case with a power solution like this since I only use them "sometimes", but it would need to be more in the range of 250ma...
NS4W
Tombola wrote:

I have two, PM and I'll send you one. It's is also possible to build with a (slightly modified) female USB header.

PM sent w00t
ac
Hi everyone,

I picked up one of these DC converters and before building it I wanted to ask: has anyone else made one of these and decided that it's not so stupid of an idea? smile

I'm still a little bit new at designing a circuit so I wanted to talk things through a bit:

As for circuit protection, what do you think about these fast acting fuses which seem to be designed for USB protection:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MF-USMF075-2
https://www.bourns.com/multifuse/docs/bourns_multifuse_white_paper.pdf

Thanks smile
Andy
cereyanlimusiki
Hello

Is there anybody out there who completed this project ?

I ordered the PCBs from OSH Park last night now I am looking for sourcing options but can not find the suggested DC DC converter ( IR0512S ) on mouser.

Is there any vendor in EU which I can source it ?
infovore
Farnell stock it: http://uk.farnell.com/xp-power/ir0512s/dc-dc-converter-semi-reg-dual/d p/1860988
ijed
I made up one of these on stripboard.

Added some 10ohm to help with the 60kHz switching frequency and some caps for power filtering.

Also used a USB B plug as it's a bit nicer

Runs fine off this little 3000mAh batt smile
cereyanlimusiki
Looks neat smile

Do you have any schematics ?

ijed wrote:
I made up one of these on stripboard.

Added some 10ohm to help with the 60kHz switching frequency and some caps for power filtering.

Also used a USB B plug as it's a bit nicer

Runs fine off this little 3000mAh batt smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2