MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good solder deals...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Good solder deals...
K9Mike
If you've priced solder recently, it's fairly shocking how much a 1lb spool costs these days.

For anyone looking for the solder that Blacet recommends, I found a couple really good deals:

Kester "331" water soluble rosin ... $7 / 1lb spool (it's $39-$45 at Mouser) at this gentleman's Ebay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kester-1-LB-Solder-331-Organic-Core-24-6337-6401_W 0QQitemZ120276202111QQihZ002QQcategoryZ109555QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQ Q_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Looks like he has 2 rolls left. He ships super fast as well.

As for Kester "245" No-Clean solder, I bought a lot of 3 spools to get it cheap, but there's no way I'd ever use 3lbs, so I have 2 spools of .020 dia available for $9/spool + shipping.

There's also a few ebay auctions for "245" for cheap, but in larger diameter sizes.

Always remember to check the diameter of the solder before purchasing. While .031 is probably the most common, I've found that thinner diameters are easier to work with, since it melts more quickly and you can 'meter in' amounts more precisely.

Anyway, if you're looking for solder, fortunately there are currently a few reasonable options before going 'full retail'.
consumed
thanks for the tip! i picked them up. leaded solder is going the way of the dodo.
Kwote
i'm not sure how many more projects i'll be able to get out of my 1 spool of clean and 1 spool of no clean. i really want to start being very future minded in regards to diy.

the plan is to grab up as many pcb's that interest me, then standard bulk components, rare components next and finally more solder.

that's not including some improved tools and few extras i don't have yet.

geeeeeeeeeeez. :(
flts
I should probably stock up more leaded solder too, with the goddamn ROHS thing in EU I think they're going away even faster in here.
neandrewthal
very frustrating Damn you, consumed angry
scozbor
neandrewthal wrote:
very frustrating Damn you, consumed angry

literally! lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1