MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Problem with Moon 568 trigger sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Problem with Moon 568 trigger sequencer
Faustgeist
Greetings all,

I have my first Moon module, a 568 trigger, which I have just hooked up to a new dotcom QPS 1.

This is the very first time I have turned the module on, and ALL buttons are flashing in a slight 'wave' from the top to the bottom - without any seeming ability to reset or stop this behavior.

Sure, I pressed buttons, hooked in an oscillator... just flashing.

Worried there is a short or real problem, I cut the power.

I have read the 2 page manual... no faq or troubleshooting there.

Any advise?

And thanks!
~Robin
JohnLRice
hhhmm, I don't think I've seen this behavior before. sad banana

You probably tried powering it off for a minute and then tried again and rechecked your power connection? Also, your power supply isn't overloaded is it? I don't even know what the current draw is on that module but I would think it's fairly high due to all the LEDs.

Is it 'stuck' in run mode (OSC. ON lamp lit) and/or does the internal or external clock rate affect the rate it is flashing at? Does the Sequence Mode switch change the pattern of the flashing?

When you say
Quote:
ALL buttons are flashing 'up' and 'down'
does it look like they are sequencing in a normal order (left to right) or in some impossible order like top to bottom in columns or all buttons in a row lit at once and then the next row down all lit at once etc? A short video clip to show the behavior would be helpful, at least for my own curiosity and for future reference but Gert may not need it to know what is going on.

One thing to try that may not help at all but can't hurt is the do the "deactivate all" function by pressing and holding both the Reset All and Set Rest Pos. buttons. It's mentioned in the PDF http://www.lunar-experience.com/DOWN/568.pdf
EPTC
Howdy Robin, simple question, but have you tried removing ALL cables going in and out of the unit? Does the behavior happen with nothing inputting into the module itself? Sounds like something is shifting oddly.
Faustgeist
Thanks for the advise,

Yes, this phenomena is immediate upon power with no cables of any kind plugged in.

When I press both the 'Reset All and Set Rest Pos. buttons' it clears the module and it then it seems to work! - at least no more flashing - and pressing of LEDs works along with the internal oscillator and it tracking to the internal (normal side-to-side movement).

But whenever it's newly powered up it reverts to the display of all LEDs firing almost in unison up and down all levels of the panel.

I am concerned this is a warning of something in the back or some odd jumper settings.

Anyone?

~Robin
VinceL
Do you have it mounted on a QCR-8 rack frame or a wooden cabinet?

When I first got my 568, I had it mounted in a QCR-8 rack frame. And, I had similar issues. It turned out there is a pot or switch (can't remember now) that is mounted so low on the panel that it was shorting to the rack frame. A piece of electrical tape at that location on the rack frame solved the problem. thumbs up
Dallas Acid
Im having the same problem - but mounted to a wooden portable case by dotcom.
Any new news?
Terrible- because I really had something going for a bit.
Would love to get back to work here.
Dallas Acid
Gert wrote me back immediately-
I suppose Robin and I accessed funny mode.
To exit - press "SET RESET POS"
hold it and
press "RESET ALL"
and release both.
At work now - but will update this post mañana once I have an opportunity to try his advice.
Thanks for the fast response Gert.
JohnLRice
I ran into the same or similar issue last year after connecting a 567 that had been previously used with a 565 quantizer. What finally resolved the issues was to Clear each of the 16 presets on the 567 in addition to a full reset of the 568 and a power cycle. The 567 works a little differently with the 565 and 568, and presets for one will confuse the other. I had gotten to the point where the 568 + 568A would work fine with the 567 connected but the 568 + 568A would go into “Vegas Lightning” mode anytime I tried to recall a preset but once I cleared ALL presets and did some 568 global resets and power cycles it started working fine.

Part of my confusion was how the 567 reacts when connected to a 568. I was used to working with it on the 565 but when connected to the 568 the 567 buttons flash faster (I thought this was an indication of a problem) and the Recall and Next/Previous actions didn’t seem to do anything because the 568 was stopped! I didn’t realize that the 568 needed to complete a cycle before switching to a preset which makes sense when running a performance. To load a 568 preset immediately, even when the 568 isn’t running Gert advised:
"pressing recall, next and previous just very shortly will advise the 568 to load that very pattern at the end if the current one. But pressing it „longer“ (I think 2 to 3 seconds) will force an immediate load of the pattern."

Best of luck!
John
Mark11Audio
Faustgeist wrote:
Greetings all,

I have my first Moon module, a 568 trigger, which I have just hooked up to a new dotcom QPS 1.

This is the very first time I have turned the module on, and ALL buttons are flashing in a slight 'wave' from the top to the bottom - without any seeming ability to reset or stop this behavior.

Sure, I pressed buttons, hooked in an oscillator... just flashing.

Worried there is a short or real problem, I cut the power.

I have read the 2 page manual... no faq or troubleshooting there.

Any advise?

And thanks!
~Robin

Yep, mine did it too awhile ago... similar to what JLR said, mine was due to the 567 Programmer having previous data on it, and I had just moved it from where it was paired with the 565D Quantizer... just had to "clear" all memory and start from scratch... INCLUDING, unplugging the module and ribbon cables behind the panel...

On the upside, I DID make a video, because I wanted to get Gert's help and it's always easier to describe an issue with visuals as well... look something like this? very frustrating

Dallas Acid
It worked!
Thanks Gert!
Dallas Acid
Thanks for all the feedback guys - 5U on the ball here
Dallas Acid
Well a little late night exuberance but I guess too soon - waking up back to the disco lights.
I’ve cleared all the presets for both banks and reset the 568....powered off and still blinking when powered back up.
Any other suggestions?
Dallas Acid
Well - I unplugged the cable again - cleared the banks rebooted and it’s working again...
Maybe missed the unbuckling of the back cable in my tear - thanks mark.
Signing off on this thread hopefully for good this time
JohnLRice
Dallas Acid wrote:
Well - I unplugged the cable again - cleared the banks rebooted and it’s working again...
thumbs up I hope it continues to work correctly! cool
Mark11Audio
Dallas Acid wrote:

Good to hear, I'll mirror JLR's sentiments and hope that it is indeed working for good... applause thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1