Introducing NoisySix - NOISE and LFO upgrade for Polysix

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

enoughstatic
Common Wiggler

Introducing NoisySix - NOISE and LFO upgrade for Polysix

Post by enoughstatic » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 pm

I would like to introduce the NoisySix - an all analog hardware upgrade for the Korg Polysix synthesizer.

It provides Pink and White Noise and a 6-waveshape LFO

The original Polysix design did not incorporate a noise source. Also, the original MG (LFO) circuit was a lonely triangle wave and was limited to a narrow LFO rate (frequency) range.

The addition of Pink and White noise really adds color and character to the synth. A variable control is provided to allow the perfect amount of noise to inject into your sound.

The addition of a 6-waveshape LFO, allows for: SINE, TRIANGLE, RAMP, SAW, SQUARE, and S&H. The SQUARE wave can be manually adjusted from 10% duty cycle to 90% duty cycle. The S&H circuit is clocked by the FREQUENCY control (of the synth) and utilized the Pink Noise source to produce a truly random Sample-and-Hold.

Images, audio demos, video demos, specs, installation instructions and more can be found at: http://www.vintagesynthlab.com/noisysix

If anyone is in the Portland, Oregon area and would like installation by myself, I can provide a heavily discounted labor charge to accommodate you.

enoughstatic
Common Wiggler

Post by enoughstatic » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:02 pm

I'd like to add another statement before this thread receives any inquiries specific to compatibility...

At the time of this writing (post), NoisySix should be compatible with the following:
Tubbutec MIDI upgrade kit (also the Polysex upgrade)
Electroservis MIDI upgrade kit
CHD MIDI upgrade kit.

However, NoisySix is not compatible with:
Kiwisix
The short answer is: hardware and software(firmware) modification.
The longer answer is: The Kiwi board removed the original analog LFO (for the MG circuit) and replaced it with a software-based modulated DAC output. Therefore, since the NoisySix requires a steady-state CV (like the original Polysix had), it won't work properly. Also, you would need to modify your Kiwi hardware--and this would void your warranty.

There are a great number of you that have the Kiwisix installed. And I apologize that the NoisySix is not compatible with it. But again, my design relies on the original *analog* architecture in order to work. Otherwise, you might inquire with Murray at Kiwi to see if he is willing to incorporate a plan for the next revision to allow for producing a steady-state CV (rather than the modulated DAC scheme) as an "optional user switch / setting". In addition, he would need to provide explicit instructors on where to "tap in" to the MG (LFO) feed circuit. Otherwise, I can't offer a solution to Kiwisix owners at this time.

And finally, here is the block diagram for the NoisySix, in case you are curious about the general architecture in regards to compatibility...

enoughstatic
Common Wiggler

Post by enoughstatic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am

For those that are not aware, VSL is no longer dev new products (i.e., going out of biz soon). That said, regarding our old NoisySix product: the Vintage Synth Lab website now points to MG. However, the NoisySix has a few docs that need a place to live -- in lieu of taking down our old website.

Two files are attached:
Noisysix Installation Instructions.
Noisysix Calibration Procedure.

Note that this product is long obsolete, so the purpose of uploading this docs is to support existing customers/clients with the NoisySix installed into their Polysix synthesizer. Currently there are no plans to continue or revise this project.

Also note that the calibration guide is in rough draft form, although should provide a good path for getting the NoisySix recalibrated (assuming adjustments are needed or desired).

Thank you.
VSL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Gear”