MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any love for Chase Bliss Audio pedals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Any love for Chase Bliss Audio pedals?
Fidgit
are you guys familiar with these pedals?

http://chaseblissaudio.com/
smetak
Bought the Warped Vinyl MKII - but still in the box (a rather nice, wooden box I may add) - still too intimidated (i.e., lazy) to figure all the ins and outs of this thing! This is one piece of very sophisticated equipment. With all the options given by the dip switches, this doesn't seem like a "plug & play" toy - far from it.

Hopefully, will get around to it in the next few days.
Crandall1
Fucking bizarre. I _just_ read this over on The Gear Page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-chase-bliss-aud io-pedal-flanger.1599674/

Then came over here to see if there was any talk about it.
tuj
Huge love for them. The WV sounds quite beautiful, does the BoC warble pitch thing really well. The WT is lush and while I'm not that picky about phasers usually, this one offers so many controls that you can get a TON of sounds out of it.

Both of those pedals are awesome, will soon be picking up the Gravitas.
Hainbach
I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss, that's for sure. The Warped Vinyl is a good distortion, too, when hit with modular levels.

In this rehearsal the main modular lines are conservativly run through the WV all the time. It adds a certain liveliness and animation, making the sound more real, for me at least:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/hainbach/rehearsal-081215[/s]
Al
I use a Wombtone and it is good for getting rhythmic phaser patterns. My only complaint is that the external tap tempo does not go slow enough. I use gates from my modular to control the tempo....
Fidgit
Hainbach wrote:
I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss, that's for sure. The Warped Vinyl is a good distortion, too, when hit with modular levels.

In this rehearsal the main modular lines are conservativly run through the WV all the time. It adds a certain liveliness and animation, making the sound more real, for me at least:

very nice and tasteful, thank you. less is often more.

I read that the guy (joel korte) who developed the zvex (instant) lo-fi junky is the same as the one who builds these pedals.
I might look a bit closer into it, they seem indeed quite impressive.
thetwlo
Hainbach wrote:
I love the warped vinyl and will get more Chase Bliss,....

Wow! gorgeous sounds, thanks for the excellent example! much appreciated. we're not worthy
rush340
Hainbach wrote:

That sounds great!
smitty.west
my first foray into joel's mad world was via the warped vinyl mk i-- well, technically via the zvex instant lo-fi junky seeing as he designed it, but...-- which i ultimately ended up selling due to its incredibly dark character. i know this was part of the concept, but it was just too much for my use, just as i found the instant lo-fi too compressed even on the lowest setting. anyways, a couple months later i grabbed the warped vinyl mk ii and wombtone mk ii. while the addition of a tone knob (which is always cranked on mine) helped remedy the high end loss a bit, i still find the pedal dark so it mostly sits on a shelf while my vb-2 or diamond vibrato handle vib duties. i'll usually pull it out when i'm after a certain effect. that said, the wombtone mk ii is hands down the best phaser i've ever used. i was never a phaser guy, but this thing is now a mainstay on my board. usually run mine w/ a super slow rate for an incredibly lush sound. love joel's stuff. not too into flangers so the upcoming spectre doesn't interest me much. if i were looking @ a new flanger, my money would be going to the upcoming foxrox tzf 2- biggest regret = letting go of my original tzf (though the obscene amount ($1100) i got for it made the pain lesser). can't wait to see joel's take on an analog delay.
Leviathant
I hadn't heard of Chase Bliss until last week, when a Warped Vinyl mkI showed up on Craigslist. It had the look of a quality pedal, and in the time it took me to look it up, listen to a demo, and notice the price was a bargain, the listing was gone.

And now I've got a Warped Vinyl mkII in my sights, except I'm on a bit of a spending freeze at the moment.
Zube
How does the CV in/ Tap tempo work for people on these (specifically Gravitas)? Very curious about the MIDI implementation too... I looked at the manual online, am I right in thinking you'll have to filter or change eurorack level signals to get this thing synched? I'm in the market for some CV/tap-controllable tremolo, and the Warped Vinyl is awesome; I'm not really finding any videos online which showcase the midi-in or cv-in.
dkcg
Zube wrote:
How does the CV in/ Tap tempo work for people on these (specifically Gravitas)? Very curious about the MIDI implementation too... I looked at the manual online, am I right in thinking you'll have to filter or change eurorack level signals to get this thing synched? I'm in the market for some CV/tap-controllable tremolo, and the Warped Vinyl is awesome; I'm not really finding any videos online which showcase the midi-in or cv-in.

You need the Empress midibox to use his pedals with MIDI. The divisions become midi note divisions when midi is used. I believe the pedal takes 0-3V or so, so you would need to attenuate any CV from the modular. The Warped Vinyl can do a basic triangle tremolo, but you should look at the Gravitas for a tremolo. The midi note divisions don't go very fast, feels like you can get quarter notes and slower, but won't go faster into 8th notes or 16ths.

The midi implementation is rather basic, and needing the midibox makes it kind of a hassle since you end up with more cables and less space on a pedalboard.

I love the WV, the Phaser is cool, feature rich, but It's not my favorite phaser sounds.

I think if you're planning on using it with guitars, the CB pedals are top notch, but if using CVs is high on the list, I would look at the Moogerfooger. The Empress also uses midi with the Midibox, and has some features that the CB doesn't, like envelope follower mode.

But for a "rookie" pedal company, CB is red hot and does fantastic designs and customer service. Joel is awesome. Even sent me a CB t-shirt.
hawkfuzz
Been hoping that Pedal Genie sends me the Gravitas. Love the stuff. So full.
nedavine
Just discovered these. Really really want the warped vinyl but it's way out of my budget. Might be able to spring for an instant lo-fi junky (same guy I believe).

The trem pedal sounds amazing too. Wondering how I could recreate that sound in daw or with my modular.
Fidgit
glad to see that these get some attention. I think they deserve it. love
let's see what the future will bring.
Zube
dkcg wrote:
Zube wrote:

You need the Empress midibox to use his pedals with MIDI. The divisions become midi note divisions when midi is used. I believe the pedal takes 0-3V or so, so you would need to attenuate any CV from the modular. The Warped Vinyl can do a basic triangle tremolo, but you should look at the Gravitas for a tremolo. The midi note divisions don't go very fast, feels like you can get quarter notes and slower, but won't go faster into 8th notes or 16ths.

The midi implementation is rather basic, and needing the midibox makes it kind of a hassle since you end up with more cables and less space on a pedalboard.

I love the WV, the Phaser is cool, feature rich, but It's not my favorite phaser sounds.

I think if you're planning on using it with guitars, the CB pedals are top notch, but if using CVs is high on the list, I would look at the Moogerfooger. The Empress also uses midi with the Midibox, and has some features that the CB doesn't, like envelope follower mode.

But for a "rookie" pedal company, CB is red hot and does fantastic designs and customer service. Joel is awesome. Even sent me a CB t-shirt.

Thanks so much this helps a lot!
thetwlo
that demo of the Warped Vinyl II really reminded me of Vincent Gallo's "When" album.

anyway, got mine last week, seems great, really wish it had stereo out like the EHX Ambitron. Still great! loving it.

Something like the new AD Dimensions might be similar, but I haven't found anything that sounds like those old SAD / Reticon chips. Warped Vinyl doesn't either, still very nice.
tuj
jahsoul wrote:
Been hoping that Pedal Genie sends me the Gravitas. Love the stuff. So full.

we have all 3 of the chase bliss pedals in stock at Stomp.club...
StringEmil
I had the WV v1 which I sold.
Will definitely get the 2 and Gravitas!

Have never seen anything like it in any other pedal or brand.
branbolio
i have the WV and didn't care much for it some reason i felt the moogerfoogers were better analog pedal devices for me... however an analog delay from the would probably win me over
Kent
This comes across as a strange statement as Moog offers nothing that is like the Warped Vinyl. Which factors were you comparing?

branbolio wrote:
i have the WV and didn't care much for it some reason i felt the moogerfoogers were better analog pedal devices for me... however an analog delay from the would probably win me over
smetak
Kent wrote:
This comes across as a strange statement as Moog offers nothing that is like the Warped Vinyl. Which factors were you comparing?

branbolio wrote:

The same here - I'm not acquainted with the Moog pedals, but from the little I know, they don't seem to offer anything even similar to the Warped Vinyl.

Please do elaborate.
Kent
nedavine wrote:
Just discovered these. Really really want the warped vinyl but it's way out of my budget. Might be able to spring for an instant lo-fi junky (same guy I believe).

The trem pedal sounds amazing too. Wondering how I could recreate that sound in daw or with my modular.

Tremolo or warped vinyl sound?

Tremolo is amply catered for with Tremulator and many other plug ins.
Warped vinyl-esque sounds can be replicated with Audio Ease's Speakerphone. There is another plug-in by AirWindows that sounds grand but has a huge amount of latency.
chaseblissaudio
dkcg wrote:

CV is 0 to 5 V. check here for wiring diagram and more info: http://chaseblissaudio.com/cv/ What's cool about my pedals is that you can really get accurate with what you want to control with CV. It doesn't sweep the whole parameter.... just the max CCW or CW range and knob position (top or bottom sweep is selected via dip switch).... so for example if you want to control the RPM (vibrato rate) on Warped Vinyl and want it to go from super fast to kind fast... you'd set the "sweep" dip for "top" and set the RPM knob to something like 1 o'clock. CV will control between knob position and max CW position.

In regards to midi, what other options would you want besides a faster note division? I could easily send you a field programmer that will tweak your firmware for different divisions. I do that sometimes for folks if it is an easy change. I expanded the note divisions quite a bit with the mkII pedals and Gravitas. You can control any parameter with CCs now, and other stuff. Here's vid giving an overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSKWJA_SlCg
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3