MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PROJECT] Music Thing Simple EQ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [PROJECT] Music Thing Simple EQ
Monobass
Simple EQ – Learn SMD soldering by building two channels of the kind of tone controls you’d find on an old hifi.
No voltage control, but just enough range to push sounds into distortion.
Works well in a feedback loop.

This video is an excerpt of the longer interview with Tom Whitwell featured on Sonic State HERE.

SMD soldering is not recommended for complete beginners! Make sure your soldering iron has a good fine tip before attempting this build. A flux pen is also highly recommended.

http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/mtm-eq/

Full kits will be available later in the year. There is a revision in the works which moves from 0805 parts to 1206 to make it even more beginner friendly.

Build docs, BOM etc – http://thonk.co.uk/documents/eq/
horstronic
Nice!
If it doesn't have voltage control, what does the tilt knob and the two jacks on the bottom do?
gbiz
It has 2 EQ circuits.
The upper 2 jacks are the input & output for the EQ controlled by the treble & bass knobs.
The lower 2 jacks are the input & output for the tilt EQ. With the tilt knob fully counter clockwise it boosts bass & cuts treble. Fully clockwise it cuts bass & boosts treble. (Think of the frequency response as being a horizontal line when the pot is centered. With the pot fully CW the response line is tilted down at the low frequencies, & up at the high frequencies. With it fully CCW, the response line is tilted up at the bass end & down at the treble end).
horstronic
gbiz wrote:
It has 2 EQ circuits.
The upper 2 jacks are the input & output for the EQ controlled by the treble & bass knobs.
The lower 2 jacks are the input & output for the tilt EQ. With the tilt knob fully counter clockwise it boosts bass & cuts treble. Fully clockwise it cuts bass & boosts treble. (Think of the frequency response as being a horizontal line when the pot is centered. With the pot fully CW the response line is tilted down at the low frequencies, & up at the high frequencies. With it fully CCW, the response line is tilted up at the bass end & down at the treble end).

Ah ok, I see.
Thanks for clarifying!
oootini
is this a stereo version of the eq from the MT spring reverb?
Monobass
It's mono but yes the tilt is a similar circuit. The Treble and Bass is different. It's also completely separate, so you can either patch up the tilt & treble & bass on one signal.. or have tilt on one signal and treble and bass on a different signal.
Tombola
oootini wrote:
is this a stereo version of the eq from the MT spring reverb?

It's two completely separate circuits. They're both voiced to have pretty serious cut/boost - if you put in a sine wave at, like, 100hz, and do full bass boost, you should get clipping.

That means if you put in a full range signal (drums/FM/Radio Music) you can push it pretty far - boost the highs, kill the bass etc. You should be able to make the wimpiest hihats a bit crunchier with the treble boost.

I took two traditional 70s hifi schematics - the Baxandall two-knob and the Ambler tilt - from Douglas Self's Small Signal Audio Design.

Initially, I optimised them for modular levels (i.e. reducing the gain so that it wouldn't clip with +/-5v signals). I found that a little too polite, so went back to the original values, which I found more musically useful.

It uses a NE5532 op amp - nothing fancy, but it's a very low noise circuit.

The Tilt is the same EQ that's in the return path in the Spring Reverb module.

This module works well for; adding a little 'air' or bass to a whole mix, adding 'smile' EQ to anything, isolating frequencies (killing bass or treble), pushing feedback loops into interesting places (like instant screaming oscillation), fuzzing kick drums like a cheap mixer.

The main thing I found new was the ability to instantly *boost* frequencies, when most things in my modular cut them.
oootini
Cool - thanks Tom. Another cool little project.
flab
Tombola thanks for another project is that the rev1.1 board that you have at your github,isnt it?great to add few of those at my system
Tombola
flab wrote:
Tombola thanks for another project is that the rev1.1 board that you have at your github,isnt it?great to add few of those at my system

Yes, that's the latest board. 1.1 was just updating to latest outline for Thonkiconn jacks.
flab
i think will be a nice idea to build the module with a centered pots
Tombola
flab wrote:
i think will be a nice idea to build the module with a centered pots

If you do, bear in mind there is no way to calibrate the circuit to the tolerances of the pots - so it might be annoying if they click into somewhere very slightly off. (i.e. normal pots are 20% tolerance)
flab
i see what you mean, no centered pots then cool
Paranormal Patroler
Well hello there! love The more I use the modular, the more I'm interested in stuff like EQs instead of filters. This, my Shelves and a second Serge Resonant EQ and you're in frequency heaven. Excellent work as always monsieur. And it's great to put a face behind the designs! Guinness ftw!
MatrixModulator
Hi, i’m buying all the parts for this module.
I was wondering if i can use digikey part number : 490-3327-1-ND for C3 and C5 ?

You wrote 5% tolerance on the BOM but at digikey they don’t have it, they only have 10% tolerance.

Will it be okay with 490-3327-1-ND or it will may cause some problems?

(i buy from digikey because it’s only 8CAD shipping vs 20USD on mouser, i’m in canada...)

Thanks a lot !

nanners
wired
@thonk

Any idea when full kits will be available?
MatrixModulator
MatrixModulator wrote:
Hi, i’m buying all the parts for this module.
I was wondering if i can use digikey part number : 490-3327-1-ND for C3 and C5 ?

You wrote 5% tolerance on the BOM but at digikey they don’t have it, they only have 10% tolerance.

Will it be okay with 490-3327-1-ND or it will may cause some problems?

(i buy from digikey because it’s only 8CAD shipping vs 20USD on mouser, i’m in canada...)

Thanks a lot !

nanners

Or maybe someone else can answer this ?
Tombola
10% should be fine - worst case the bands will be slightly different from spec, but this isn't a precision eq...
MatrixModulator
Tombola wrote:
10% should be fine - worst case the bands will be slightly different from spec, but this isn't a precision eq...

Oh ok, that's fine then!
Thanks!!!
Tombola
dupe waah
MatrixModulator
Tombola wrote:
dupe waah

sorry did i said something wrong? hmmm.....
Tombola
MatrixModulator wrote:
Tombola wrote:
dupe waah

sorry did i said something wrong? hmmm.....

No! Just the forum posted my reply twice, so I edited it dupe=duplicate
jamsk
Will this be available as PCB only? Your panels great i just like making my own and may do a double.
Thanks
Jamsk
Vcoadsr
Hey Tom,

Finished making this today but when I plug it in it and switch my case on there's no power I.e. If I disconnect the module then my case power comes back on.

Any problem solving tips on what I can check to see what's wrong with my build?

I've checked all the solder joints, double checked I didn't put the diodes in the wrong way & connected the power correctly so a bit foxed by this.
masterofstuff124
sounds like a bridge to ground. whip out a connectivity meter and test ground. to power rails. but before you do that is it safe to zap smd IC's with continuity checker? i know some of the more fancy ICs can be fried that way.

On a side note I also finished this build yesterday. what a great circuit with a great range of control. I particularly like running the top circuit into the bottom. Ive been using it with my clouds and it really helps accentuate some of the sonic stuff that is normally muddied or unintelligble! i think ill have to build another! thanks again!

also i skipped the PTC fuses(didnt have any) just bridged it and all works well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3