MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author 2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
supersuper
Clive wrote:
supersuper wrote:
... but if you did have a hardware modular 3 think how amazing it might be.

I think we're all agreed that it is unlikely to happen but I'd be interested to hear what people would want from a G3.

I don't mean iPad connectivity, which could itself become outdated, but things that were missing from the final palette or new developments.

Personally, I'm still amazed at how feature-rich the G2 is - they seem to have thought of everything.

People are going to say give them a module that fits into euro rack land but that defeats the point of Nord modular which has always been a self contained galaxy of possibilities.

What I want is a teenage engineering OP-1 with a Nord modular synth engine that you can program from a computer and then take with you wherever you want and access a finite but useful set of parameters through a sub menu or by assigning to one of the four knobs.

This would be the most amazing synth of the year 2020 . . .

Clavia and TE should collaborate or Claiva should sell the IP they are not intending to use to there logical predecessor.
ersatzplanet
I am still amazed that they just don't update the G2 Demo software and release that as a product. Add the missing modules, allow it to use as many inputs and outputs that the system sound card has, add a few needed modules (like sampler and wave playing ones) and I am sure they could sell it. No hardware.

Otherwise I would be satisfied if they just re-released the G2 hardware with a few new modules added. It still is a great platform.
supersuper
ersatzplanet wrote:
I am still amazed that they just don't update the G2 Demo software and release that as a product. Add the missing modules, allow it to use as many inputs and outputs that the system sound card has, add a few needed modules (like sampler and wave playing ones) and I am sure they could sell it. No hardware.

Otherwise I would be satisfied if they just re-released the G2 hardware with a few new modules added. It still is a great platform.

Are the dsp chips still in production for the G2?

I suspect major heads rolled at Clavia when modular line ended. Maybe it is like the korg prophecy and they lack the experience to revive it?

G2 demo is really nice in that it is standalone. Being monophonic is not an issue anymore than the majority of physical modular being as such. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Anyway I am sure they have had a good look at the market for a G3 and realistically can't see the reward for the risk.
UpAndDown
ersatzplanet wrote:

Problem with no hardware is piracy - I think a few synth manufacturers have been burned releasing software only versions of their stuff.

The Nord Lead 3 always gets a bad rap for not having a good sound - isn't it exactly the same engine as the G2? If so I'm guessing no.1 on the list for a G3 would be a jump in sound quality...
Clive
UpAndDown wrote:
The Nord Lead 3 always gets a bad rap for not having a good sound - isn't it exactly the same engine as the G2? If so I'm guessing no.1 on the list for a G3 would be a jump in sound quality...

Well, ironically, the 'bad rap' the G2 got for its sound was that it was better than the NM1. Go figure, as they say.
UpAndDown
Clive wrote:
UpAndDown wrote:

Well, ironically, the 'bad rap' the G2 got for its sound was that it was better than the NM1. Go figure, as they say.

Yep, too pretty or smooth apparently.
I reckon what would scratch the itch of a lot of people on this thread is a Solaris. Particularly if it ever gets multi-timbrality.
timmcg
I ran across the following site a few days ago and found it interesting. If this has been mentioned before then I apologize although I did a search and found nothing.

Someone has updated the G2 editor, demo and what they describe as the Nord G2 virtual modular for OSX.

I've only tested it (the virtual modular) briefly so I can't vouch for it being totally working but so far most of what I've tried is working. I'm running it on a MBP running Snow Leopard and on a iMac running El Capitan and no crashes so far. It's using something called Wine which is included.

It runs all of my patches developed using the G2 demo software and it seems to allow me to run more modules compared to Nord's demo.

Gone are the crossed out modules but some things like the DX FM oscillators are still a work in progress... meaning they're not working for me.

The upload is dated January 18 2017.

http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1/

Cheers,

Timothy
blaerg
Requests about compatibility with soundcards were solicited on the Nord Modular FB group, where I first learned about this. I can attest to its functionality as well.
bobbylandry
supersuper wrote:
Clive wrote:
supersuper wrote:
... but if you did have a hardware modular 3 think how amazing it might be.

I think we're all agreed that it is unlikely to happen but I'd be interested to hear what people would want from a G3.

I don't mean iPad connectivity, which could itself become outdated, but things that were missing from the final palette or new developments.

Personally, I'm still amazed at how feature-rich the G2 is - they seem to have thought of everything.

People are going to say give them a module that fits into euro rack land but that defeats the point of Nord modular which has always been a self contained galaxy of possibilities.

What I want is a teenage engineering OP-1 with a Nord modular synth engine that you can program from a computer and then take with you wherever you want and access a finite but useful set of parameters through a sub menu or by assigning to one of the four knobs.

This would be the most amazing synth of the year 2020 . . .

Clavia and TE should collaborate or Claiva should sell the IP they are not intending to use to there logical predecessor.

Good news.

https://teenageengineering.com/products/op-z_preview

I haven't seen much information about the modules and stuff, I'm sure it will be somewhere between the Nord approach and the OP-1, but if you scroll down a bit and click through the pictures above the "full unity 3D integration heading" you can see some an image talking about a node based patch environment with some low level looking nodes. The picture is in relation to using it for 3D graphics but if that level of control is available for video synthesis then hopefully it will be for synthesis and sequencing, too.

I'm sure there's more information around about this thing, I haven't really been following it but I know I saw a video posted somewhere, probably here, recently.
adnauseam
bobbylandry wrote:

Good news.

I haven't seen much information about the modules and stuff, I'm sure it will be somewhere between the Nord approach and the OP-1, but if you scroll down a bit and click through the pictures above the "full unity 3D integration heading" you can see some an image talking about a node based patch environment with some low level looking nodes. The picture is in relation to using it for 3D graphics but if that level of control is available for video synthesis then hopefully it will be for synthesis and sequencing, too.

I'm sure there's more information around about this thing, I haven't really been following it but I know I saw a video posted somewhere, probably here, recently.

I'd definitely spend the time watching the latest Cuckoo OP-Z preview to wash away any sort of modular programming features. The diagram they've shown is a way of displaying the properties of a particular step in the sequencer. You can watch Cuckoo use these features in the video. Honestly the diagram is a bit of a distraction considering what's actually going on.

Sorry to blow out your candle :(

I think the OP-Z will be pretty rad but it isn't modular.
amnesia
This for OSX users http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1/
robot909
Are DSP based platforms being abandoned because today the host computers have more processing power than in the past?

I have a Creamware Pulsar 1 card that I still use running windows XP, Also two TC Powercore pci cards in my mac. And both sound great but tricky to run.

Creamware, now Sonic-Core, does offer software updates, but TC dropped the Powercore entirely.

Did the specialized DSP chips as the "shark" offer something more in terms of sound processing, or were they just a handicap for lack of host computing power?
amnesia
not sure but 80% of Reaktor patches I cant run on my 2011 MacBook Pro but I have n real issues with the Nord Modular
bobbylandry
adnauseam wrote:
bobbylandry wrote:

Good news.

I'd definitely spend the time watching the latest Cuckoo OP-Z preview to wash away any sort of modular programming features. The diagram they've shown is a way of displaying the properties of a particular step in the sequencer. You can watch Cuckoo use these features in the video. Honestly the diagram is a bit of a distraction considering what's actually going on.

Sorry to blow out your candle :(

I think the OP-Z will be pretty rad but it isn't modular.

That's too bad! Watched the video and still looks like a cool product, but yea not what I was hoping.
crawling wind
I finally got around to installing this today. Hooked up my G1 rack, turned it on, and IT WORKED!! I'm very pleased to be able to run NM on my regular desktop now. Thanks for posting this! we're not worthy

amnesia wrote:
This for OSX users http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1/

timmcg wrote:
I ran across the following site a few days ago and found it interesting. If this has been mentioned before then I apologize although I did a search and found nothing.

Someone has updated the G2 editor, demo and what they describe as the Nord G2 virtual modular for OSX.

I've only tested it (the virtual modular) briefly so I can't vouch for it being totally working but so far most of what I've tried is working. I'm running it on a MBP running Snow Leopard and on a iMac running El Capitan and no crashes so far. It's using something called Wine which is included.

It runs all of my patches developed using the G2 demo software and it seems to allow me to run more modules compared to Nord's demo.

Gone are the crossed out modules but some things like the DX FM oscillators are still a work in progress... meaning they're not working for me.

Cheers,

Timothy
foolprint
bnek
timmcg wrote:

Cheers,

Timothy

Dude this is amazing, thanks! I can't believe how easy this is to get running. Haven't tested MIDI or the DX operators but everything else I've tried seems to work as it should. hyper
stk
ersatzplanet wrote:
I am still amazed that they just don't update the G2 Demo software and release that as a product.

From my experience in related industries; developers write software, then they find another job and leave. Other developers are hired to take their place, and maybe these developers have a hard time dealing with the legacy code they have inherited. Maybe it's spaghetti, rubbish code, unmaintainable, or written in a no-longer supported language. Maybe the perceived cost of getting (and keeping) it up to date is deemed unsustainable by the number counters. This happens all the time.

Shame, the NM series are awesome, I would probably buy an updated version just for the occasional live show.

Cheers
ersatzplanet
stk wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
I am still amazed that they just don't update the G2 Demo software and release that as a product.

From my experience in related industries; developers write software, then they find another job and leave. Other developers are hired to take their place, and maybe these developers have a hard time dealing with the legacy code they have inherited. Maybe it's spaghetti, rubbish code, unmaintainable, or written in a no-longer supported language. Maybe the perceived cost of getting (and keeping) it up to date is deemed unsustainable by the number counters. This happens all the time.

Shame, the NM series are awesome, I would probably buy an updated version just for the occasional live show.

Cheers

I agree with you on this. The code is so old there had to be kludgy work-arounds for the processors of the time. To make an efficient new version, it would be a total rewrite. I have a bunch of different virtual modulars and noe seem to have as elegant GUI as the Nord. I don't know if this is what I call "the Dr Who Effect" - the first version you were exposed to seems to be the one you like the most - and I have been spoiled by owning both a G1 and G2 Nord. There are many options nowadays that just were not there, or were not that good, when this thread was started. Max for Cats, Audulus, Reaktor, Beat in Max, and many more software modulars that offer many more modules. Even in the hardware side there are devices like the Axoloti which is cheap enough that you can almost get 10 of them for the price of a used G1. Too much competition for Clavia. I doubt we will ever see them make a modular again.
DJMaytag
robot909 wrote:
Are DSP based platforms being abandoned because today the host computers have more processing power than in the past?

Yes and no. I'm sure that 24/32bit, 96khz processing still requires some extra oomph that most computers can't handle, especially anything more than a few years old.

If you're got a dual-core computer, it probably makes sense to use something like a UAD-2 or a Soundgrid server. For a simple UAD-2 Satellite, it's cheaper than buying a new computer plus it gives you some pretty high end plugs to run on it.
peripatitis
The g1 and g2 were supposed to be commerialized versions of their working dsp library and seeing how their products haven't been revolutionary since i doubt that code is somewhere in an archive..

I also think they would ever make a software version of it, it would compete with their hardware. I am pretty sure they are regretting that demo ever existed smile
toitoy
Don't forget we have Nord Virtual Modular (Hacked demo) http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-57892.html

and Wren modular http://bluehell.electro-music.com/wren/
bnek
toitoy wrote:
Don't forget we have Nord Virtual Modular (Hacked demo) http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-57892.html

and Wren modular http://bluehell.electro-music.com/wren/

I'm not sure any of the unlocked modules in the 'hacked' demo version work. He says he tested the 4-out module in but not the others; the MIDI out & DX modules don't work for me. Still great to be able to play with the nord modular again though, I missed it!
confusional
It's about five months from 2018 and my main instrument is a Nord Modular Keys (using Wine on the latest macOS). Everything works perfectly. Seriously, it just works, no issues. It's the most innovative and comprehensive modular system that I've ever used. And that's no knock against the Serge Modular system that I used to have. It was really great. But I just don't have the budget these days for a $20K+ system, and even then I was short of some key modules. This isn't the case at all with the Nord Modular. Also, it cost only $650. Yes, that's a great price but I think there's a lesson to be learn there. It's a shame that it took me so long to learn it, but now I'm happy.

Maybe I'll get around to a G2 series someday, but really I've got so much power to play with I don't feel the need at all.
snes
It's certainly a great instrument, and i would love to see an G2 update or a G3 to use at least the A1 dsp algorythm, thats all i would ask for, as nord modulars environment feel quite complete. Maybe also a ui overhaul and editing patches from an oled display? Would certainly be pricey but i would definitely buy it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 5 of 6