MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author 2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
amnesia
Got to say I am pulling the plug and going to buy the full version of OSCILLOT, even though BEAP is free I hate having to Lock/ Unlock to work.

I was going to get a Nord Micro Modular but OSCILLOT will be great. I really hope it gets loads of support and keeps going for a long while.

Its just noce to have a different sound from the analog modular.
Bastian
@amnesia what about REAKTOR BLOCKS? Could also be a good alternative for you and got a fast growing user library but most important: the sound is awesome!
amnesia
Hi Bastian

My main concern is I have Reaktor 5 and never really use it so am concerned that I just wont use it even if it sounds awesome.

I just ( prior to your reply) started a new thread re Re6 and Oscillot pros and cons.
secretkillerofnames
thetechnobear wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:

It doesn't have the controls or keyboard of the Nord, it is designed to be controlled via MIDI but it is still quite functional.

Im adding Ableton Push support to Axoloti... so hopefully that should address the UI side smile

early dev version... from a few weeks ago...

Nice! So any idea when the general release of Axoloti will occur for those of us not quick enough for the Kickstarter? I had money for it the week after it closed. d'oh!
thetechnobear
secretkillerofnames wrote:

Nice! So any idea when the general release of Axoloti will occur for those of us not quick enough for the Kickstarter?

no official word, but I suspect it won't be too much longer before Johannes says something.
(quite a few have expressed interest... either for a board as they missed it, or additional boards)
ersatzplanet
I would love more info on the new PCB form factor. I suggested stackable PCBs a while back, with the I/O on a separate PCB from the sound engine to make custom Eurorack modules easier to make. The Axoloti would make a great Eurorack module. The Axoloti Control PCB would be a great start, especially if it happened to fit in a 3U high panel. With CV in and out, the Axoloti would be killer. I would have a few of them in my rig.
ersatzplanet
Bastian wrote:
@amnesia what about REAKTOR BLOCKS? Could also be a good alternative for you and got a fast growing user library but most important: the sound is awesome!

If Native Instruments made a hardware box that Reaktor patches could download to, and then run without the computer - basically a Nord Modular G2 with Reaktor as the OS, then they would have something. Every current Reaktor owner would think seriously about buying it. It would be a dictated PC, setup to be a Reactor client, have maybe some special "interface" modules to connect to physical dedicated knobs, sliders and the keyboard but NI makes hardware already, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch. Basically a Mac MINI with a dedicated sound card and controller interface all in a keyboard case.
Bastian
Yeah perhaps a bit like Roland's System 1m for Reaktor Blocks, that would be awesome! Let's keep fingers crossed!
Bob Borries
Clavia might go bankrupt trying to come out with another modular? Excuse me? Isn't modular hardware the hottest thing in music right now? So much so, Roland, Waldorf, Dave Smith and Oberheim are jumping on the band wagon. I know the G2 almost did them in, but times have changed, haven't they?
extra testicle
i don't know if nord modular style is all that appealing to general euro market tbh.

the part i like is you figure out how to make from basic functions. just lots and lots of them. smile modular, but not in the style of moog or buchla.
GGW
ersatzplanet wrote:

If Native Instruments made a hardware box that Reaktor patches could download to, and then run without the computer - basically a Nord Modular G2 with Reaktor as the OS, then they would have something. Every current Reaktor owner would think seriously about buying it. It would be a dictated PC, setup to be a Reactor client, have maybe some special "interface" modules to connect to physical dedicated knobs, sliders and the keyboard but NI makes hardware already, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch. Basically a Mac MINI with a dedicated sound card and controller interface all in a keyboard case.

That's certainly a great idea.
ersatzplanet
extra testicle wrote:
i don't know if nord modular style is all that appealing to general euro market tbh.

the part i like is you figure out how to make from basic functions. just lots and lots of them. smile modular, but not in the style of moog or buchla.

The thing Clavia should make is a Nord Micro Modular in a Eurorack panel with the four current knobs, a LCD screen and a set of CV ins and outs. Add a virtual module to the current set of editor modules to address the CV ins and outs and it would be golden.

The QuBit Nebulae is a good player in this sort of field. The current firmware can run Pure Data files so if some industrious PD coder made the right modules you would be half way there. I would prefer a more "generically" laid out front panel but that is minor.
secretkillerofnames
ersatzplanet wrote:

The QuBit Nebulae is a good player in this sort of field. The current firmware can run Pure Data files so if some industrious PD coder made the right modules you would be half way there. I would prefer a more "generically" laid out front panel but that is minor.

Could you run Xodular in this?
amnesia
Just an update to this. I bought OSCillot, Reaktor 6 and a Nord MicroModular.

I use Reaktor 6 most as its on the laptop in front of me then Nord Micro and only used OSCillot about 3 times.

A 2016 Nord Modular I would be keen on purchasing/
Tombola
Axoloti + knobs = NM style fun

https://instagram.com/p/BAqbNhdjmaf/
flo
amnesia wrote:
Just an update to this. I bought OSCillot, Reaktor 6 and a Nord MicroModular.

That's the spirit SlayerBadger!
peripatitis
Of course clavia can dismiss voices about creative products and continue to follow the money train to bontempi....
Tombola
peripatitis wrote:
Of course clavia can dismiss voices about creative products and continue to follow the money train to bontempi....

A business trying to build products that their customers will buy. THE SHAME!
peripatitis
Tombola wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

A business trying to build products that their customers will buy. THE SHAME!

Who said it's a shame? I said bontempi..
biguana
Clavia, if you're reading this, i regret selling my g2 engine and would by a g3 engine. Or micro modular style euro module.
nangu
Clavia, if you're reading this, I would gleefully forgive you for making all of the G2 variants that me and my friends are using instantly obsolete. Obsolescence is overrated- we still have G1 stuff, too.

I don't think Euro would be anywhere near as popular as it is now if a lot of us hadn't fallen in love with the Nord Modular first.

You laid much of the groundwork for a really weird (and lovely) phenomenon. The market you helped to create is ready for your next product. Please cash in on that already.. thumbs up
grimley
nangu wrote:
Clavia, if you're reading this, I would gleefully forgive you for making all of the G2 variants that me and my friends are using instantly obsolete. Obsolescence is overrated- we still have G1 stuff, too.

I don't think Euro would be anywhere near as popular as it is now if a lot of us hadn't fallen in love with the Nord Modular first.

You laid much of the groundwork for a really weird (and lovely) phenomenon. The market you helped to create is ready for your next product. Please cash in on that already.. thumbs up

My thoughts exactly. The G2 got me into eurorack but it's still a central piece of my studio. For years I've been dreaming of a G3 with a breakout eurorack module. Just got an Axoloti and while promising, the G2 UI and hardware/software integration are in another league.
drox
ersatzplanet wrote:
Bastian wrote:

I'd buy it smile
supersuper
Sometimes peoples desire for the physical makes me giggle.

I love hardware interfaces for software but only if they are structured/layed out well. Like the MS20 controller for the legacy software.

But nord modular, Frankly i would be happy if Nord just updated the software for existing users on modern os and gave the rest of us the chance to purchase what was originally a monophonic native demo as a fully native plug with limitations on polyphony dictated by processing power and complexity of patching.
Bough
It would be cool if they lumped the G1 front panel (or at least the 18 knobs; rotaries: sure) with the architecture of the g2, and added the Wave sampling capabilities, and threw it in a rack. It's stuff they all already have. Throw in some assignable CV and mop up. I don't think any of the people that worked on the Modulars are with the company anymore.

I don't think the Wave went down well either- correct me if I'm wrong? Seems a bit like they lack confidence when taking risks, or their overhead is too high for game changers these days. Also like the kind of place where you get to wear blue jeans on Friday.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6