MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author 2016 Nord Modular. Isn't it about time?
chvad
"It's actually surprising to some degree that Nord still bothers with the Lead 4 / A1 line. "

They still hit bases other synths don't. I have a Lead 4 specifically for playing live gigs. I don't like or use controllers/laptops and prefer hardware synths. The Lead 4 is 4 part multitimbral, more than enough voices, some simple effects and despite a sturdy build, is one of the lightest to carry 4 octaves synths I've ever had. There's not a ton of new synths that hit all of those bases.
Limbertimbre
With the release of Reaktor 6 and the overall increase in software synth quality, I don't see them deciding it is profitable. Maybe if they built it into a eurorack format with CV i/o, but that seems pretty unlikely.
cereal
There was this interview with Hans Nordelius of Clavia, where he said that he'd like to improve the G2 but if he even whispers about it his partner and the software engineers go crazy...

Quote:
When we made the Nord Modular, we had a very nice community around it, but the demands from that community were increasing all the time, so the work developing a system like that takes a lot of software engineers. We were draining the company on the R&D department, for a very small market. So we almost killed ourselves. After that we said no more modular systems.

We still use the modular system in our work, almost daily. It’s very important to me. We use it almost like a laboratory; when you’re thinking of an idea for a new synthesiser you can use that to build it up, so it’s still a good system. I want to improve it but if I even whisper about improving it my software engineers and my partner go crazy…
ersatzplanet
cereal wrote:
There was this interview with Hans Nordelius of Clavia, where he said that he'd like to improve the G2 but if he even whispers about it his partner and the software engineers go crazy...

Quote:
We still use the modular system in our work, almost daily. It’s very important to me. We use it almost like a laboratory; when you’re thinking of an idea for a new synthesiser you can use that to build it up, so it’s still a good system. I want to improve it but if I even whisper about improving it my software engineers and my partner go crazy…

"We still use the modular system in our work, almost daily." - does that mean they are running it on older computer hardware? It sorta implies that they have at least updated it somewhat to be used in the company. I don't know how many parts on the older design are end-of-life parts now (like the DSP) but they could sell the EXACT SAME machine they once made with the editor updated for the newer OS's and would sell a bunch of them.

Hell, make an "Anniversary Edition" limited run and see how much of a demand there is. That would show them just how wrong they are.
adnauseam
Quote:
When we made the Nord Modular, we had a very nice community around it, but the demands from that community were increasing all the time, so the work developing a system like that takes a lot of software engineers. We were draining the company on the R&D department, for a very small market. So we almost killed ourselves. After that we said no more modular systems.

And yet there's this Nord Modular-type software developed by...

ONE GUY

and it's free so far.

WREN
secretkillerofnames
adnauseam wrote:

ONE GUY

and it's free so far.

WREN

Bluehell can just be like The MSN Smack! whistlin' if anyone starts expecting anything. Nord on the other hand...

I should really try Wren out with Wine.
CF3
adnauseam wrote:
Quote:

ONE GUY

and it's free so far.

WREN

nanners sweet. I didn't know about this one. Looks like it was taken directly from the Nord modular. Lots of modules. Fantastic.
cereal
ersatzplanet wrote:
"We still use the modular system in our work, almost daily." - does that mean they are running it on older computer hardware?

To be honest, I actually think he's referring to the G2 modular here for which the editor runs just fine on any new OSs.
Etan
adnauseam wrote:
Quote:

ONE GUY

and it's free so far.

WREN

This looks great, can't wait to try it at home. I regret selling my G2x so much and maybe this will cure me of G2 nostalgia that I still have after 5 years. Thanks!!!

btw how come there was no word about WREN anywhere before? Maybe I've missed it somehow, but I was checking all these threads regularly. seriously, i just don't get it
Etan
This module list looks absolutely amazing ( http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/modules.html ), maybe this is the closest thing to G3 we will never have and much more. I would be prepared to pay some serious bucks if this is stable and workable environment, but I don't have to cus it's free w00t!! Still can't understand how come there was no mention of it here before.
BugBrand
Wow, yes, it does look amazing! G2 demo was always useful for trying ideas out on, but this may be even betterer.
CF3
Tried running WREN via Wine on my Mac. Sorta works, but definitely has issues. There's a subforum for WREN over at electro-music. Blue Hell has indeed confirmed the issues I experienced with Wine.... It's a damn shame cause WREN is pretty badass waah Might have to snag a cheap Windows laptop for this (and other random shit). Serious effort here by Blue Hell we're not worthy
adnauseam
WREN was plugged on the MW forums years back -- 2014 I think? He had only started on it then.

And no, nothing is taken from the G2. BlueHell has programmed every module a new, with the exception of a few which I think were done by HrastProgrammer - who also makes insane and complicated VSTi's.

If you like it shoot him a few bucks. It might be the best thing next to having a G2 and it'll keep getting better as long as he can keep programming it. Beer and coffee money helps!
secretkillerofnames
This looks intriguing.
aasmodular
All point made considered, I would buy a G3 straight away. Full stop.
dB4u
yeah no orange if they do please
ersatzplanet
I just got an Axolotl PCB and a day or two after it arrived, I caught and bought a G2 (waiting for it to arrive). I used to have a G1 and G2 (now just the G1) and will be glad to get the G2 back in the studio too. The Axolotl is a great sounding piece of kit and very cheap too. Cheap enough to by more than one. I plan on making a module with it and a Doepfer A-192 behind one panel. Add some pots normalizing DC into the A-192 and you get an Axolotl with 16 knobs or CV inputs on it.
Exiannyc
WREN is a simply amazing, constantly expanded, free modular whose creator says it is not a Nord Modular clone. It does a lot of things Nord doesn't.

http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/ just download it to your desktop, do NOT install it, there is nothing to install, on a pc you just open the folder and double click the wren exe file. That's all you have to do. The first time you open it, the program will auto generate a HELP file, so you will see panels full of modules flashing on your screen. If you are like me you will start salivating and clapping your hands and making goofy noises in anticipation.

Wren includes a Klee sequencer module. More modules appear every month or two. Just saying. If you like it, send Jan Punter some money.

WREN is not a VST. It runs stand alone only. You can download example patches here http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/patches/index.php - many of them are marvels of long form self playing compositions/constructions that can run for extremely long periods without repeating themselves. To run a patch, click RUN. To stop, click STOP. To record a wav file, click START RENDERING. That's it. I am not able to comment on MIDI or OSC functionality - I just use my mouse.

I can't talk about virtual self playing modulars without mentioning Aalto and Kaivo by Madrona Labs. Just amazing. One screen. Everything's there. No menus. Vast possibilities in a very limited space.
fywzheng
The Owl can run both pd and max msp patches.
anarchy4bits
for all who want work with the orginal G2 modules, there is an hacked G2 demo version out where the demo writings are removed and all modules are switched free. not all from the free switched modules work, but some do. still on one voice not polyphon and all patches can saved as in demo version. works fine on older windows laptops.
blaerg
Exiannyc wrote:
WREN is a simply amazing... One screen. Everything's there. No menus. Vast possibilities in a very limited space.

I agree, it is quite enticing - however, does anyone else notice its functionality is a bit dubious? Even just patching a raw oscillator tone to the output it periodically drops the signal. This happens most frequently when you're making other connections or bringing other modules into the arranger. I mean, it seems like it's going to run fine once it's set up but it's quite annoying to experience while you're creating something.
ersatzplanet
As I have posted every year before NAMM:

If you are going to NAMM, go to the Clavia booth and ask them to make a new Nord Modular, or re-make the older ones. Tell all your friends to do it too (not at the same time). Nothing will change unless LOTS of people ask for one. Suggest a micro Modular in Eurorack form wit DC coupled ins and outs. Anything.
supersuper
im a mac user but i heard that the G1 modular actually still works in windows 10.

Is this true? anyone can verify? It would surprise me as G1 only works in os 9 and G2 stopped working when we moved into el capitan territory.
stk
supersuper wrote:
im a mac user but i heard that the G1 modular actually still works in windows 10.

Is this true? anyone can verify? It would surprise me as G1 only works in os 9 and G2 stopped working when we moved into el capitan territory.

If apple are good at anything it is breaking backwards compatibility hihi

I think you might be able to run it in "compatibility" mode in modern Windoze?

I have an old WinXP laptop hanging about that I use with a MOTU Fastlane, cos the editor doesn't like my main MIDI interface (RME Fireface).
Waveworm
Clavia like any other enterprise think about its survival in terms of $ before all else. They could, and I wish, would release a modular Nord Modular. A machine off the production line, and built to the customer specs, yet retaining the charm of the Nord Modular.

When I say modular Nord Modular, I mean, arm that box with expansion slots, for more voices, more effects, more what you want, and make it come with its own screen like an iPad to avoid compatibility problems with PC's, Mac's.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6