MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NI releases Reaktor 6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author NI releases Reaktor 6
listentoaheartbeat
thelizard wrote:
NI's LPG is top-notch. I'd stick with that one unless you want the envelope capabilities of mine.

Creating envelopes with the West Coast LPG is fun, too. PLUCK provides a handy envelope amplitude control, DAMP shortens the decay. Alternatively, one can use any modulation signal to modulate LEVEL instead of striking the Pluck input with a gate. Adds a nice downward-slew to the signal. thumbs up

Virgil
DJMaytag wrote:
Well, poop. I wasn't going to get an ES-6, but now I guess I might need to...

If you happen to have Live, try CV4Live before spending money. Send CV & triggers from your rack into the box. It's awesome.
http://www.skinnerbox.de/cv4live.html
Bacchus
thelizard wrote:

Yeah! It worked out perfectly. Plus, Native Instruments' own Blocks are fantastic. I use their 1.1 LPG way more than my own now as I love the sound quality. I'm glad to hear that I haven't interfered in any way.

Speaking of the LPG, the main contribution of the dissertation isn't Euro Reakt so much as setting up design taxonomies for modules (both software and hardware). A main point is that a lot of software modules save CPU by employing what I call "monosemous" (opposite of "ambiguous") design strategies. In hardware, more manufacturers are going for a polymorphic approach where one module serves multiple purposes. One of the primary design goals for Euro Reakt is to emulate the feel of hardware by putting a lot of inputs and outputs on each Block (especially with the 4.0 update). There's a serendipitous quality to this design strategy, as I feel that these extra features guide a patcher down avenues they may not have explored without them.

The NI LPG is an example of the monosemous design strategy: You have an audio input, a pluck input, and a single output. It's very straightforward to use. The ER LPG has many more ins/outs. One of my favorite features is that it outputs the LPG and the envelope from the "vactrol" separately. Thus, you can use it simultaneously as an LPG and a modulation source for another signal.

Thanks for the kind words on the Blocks LPG Michael smile

I need to take a proper look at your thesis, because this particular topic is one that I've thought about a lot and find very interesting. Excited to read your contribution! Most of the stuff I worked on in Blocks is actually very much designed from this 'ambiguous' perspective (and actually, stuff I've done elsewhere - e.g. try using the Replika Diffusion mode as a complex resonant body model). For me this is a big part of a design having 'depth' - allowing the user to exploit it in unexpected ways.

In the case of the Blocks LPG, I guess this is a little hidden - mainly because the thing is a pretty direct circuit model. The only thing resembling an envelope in the structure is essentially a slew generator that models the relationship between light emitted by the LED part of the vactrol and the resistance of the LDR part. If you tapped this out directly, you'd have some envelope shape but not really the perceptual amplitude envelope of a pinged LPG. This perceptual envelope is a much more complicated shape because of the way the poles of the filter and the DC-gain change as the vactrol resistance varies.

To output a more interesting envelope in the context of this model, you could work out an expression for vactrol-resistance -> DC-gain, and output that. Or, you can do what listentoaheartbeat suggested and just patch a DC signal into the input. In this case, I think I kinda prefer the latter option. It's the way you'd do things in a hardware modular, and it adds a little bit of extra mystery to the experience. I like to make people work a little for their extra functionality, and I've always loved the way that becoming good at modulars involves discovering all these little bits of arcane knowledge. It's fun hihi. No coincidence that I'm a big fan of Pete Blasser I guess...

The more explicit 'ambiguous' approach you employ in Euro-Reakt is great too, as it more strongly encourages people to use stuff multi-functionally rather than making them discover it through blind experimentation and forum tidbits. Definitely the better pedagogical approach!
thelizard
Thanks! Yeah, as mentioned either in this thread or a different one, my LPG was sort of based on your vactrol research paper. I don't have an EE background, so I took what I could from it, which was essentially just an interpolator portion. The official LPG blew it right out of the water. I really appreciate you putting that research out there! Without papers like that, I don't know where I'd be.

I'm going to package the dissertation with Euro Reakt around January 6th (my due date for signatures and the final draft). The first taxonomy is a module design taxonomy. I've proposed the following categories (a module can fit into multiple categories):

1) Monosemous. One patching strategy.
2) Rhizomatic. One purpose, but multiple patching strategies (a great example is Audio Damage's DubJr. Mk2, as it has tapped feedback and a tempo input. It's always a delay, though).
3) Expandable. These are mainly hardware modules that connect to expanders, but there are software examples as well.
4) Polymorphic...

Polymorphism can exist in four forms:
1) Modal. A module's functionality can change, but only one mode at a time. Also, a module is only modally polymorphic if and only if it can change its purpose on its own without the use of other modules. Disting is the ultimate example of this. There are multiple sub-categories of this, but I won't jump into that here.
2) Independent. A module has multiple functions but they aren't normalled. WMD/SSF Toolbox is a great example.
3) Linked. A module has multiple functions that are normalled together (but can be used independently through patching). A good example is the analog wavefolder on Shapeshifter. The oscillator's output is normalled into it, but you can use the wavefolder separately from the oscillator.
4) Synchronous. A module has multiple functions that share common parameters. An example is the Make Noise Echophon. It has a delay line and a clock generator that share the delay length parameter.

I try to not be judgmental in the dissertation. My favorite design strategy personally is Synchronous Polymorphism, as I like the suggestions made by the modules. However, Monosemous design is great for education. Likewise, Rhizomatic design is great for easy-to-understand modules with more flexibility. Independent Polymorphism is ideal for putting multiple utilities into one panel (perhaps saving money and/or space). I dive into the pros and cons of each (along with the pros and cons of analog and digital hardware along with pure software modulars).
thelizard
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
thelizard wrote:
NI's LPG is top-notch. I'd stick with that one unless you want the envelope capabilities of mine.

Creating envelopes with the West Coast LPG is fun, too. PLUCK provides a handy envelope amplitude control, DAMP shortens the decay. Alternatively, one can use any modulation signal to modulate LEVEL instead of striking the Pluck input with a gate. Adds a nice downward-slew to the signal. thumbs up

Yeah, this is a great patch idea! I do this a lot with my Optomix.

What I was mainly suggesting is that my LPG's envelope output is available simultaneously, so you can process audio and get an amplitude curve as a modulation output at the same time.
listentoaheartbeat
thelizard wrote:
What I was mainly suggesting is that my LPG's envelope output is available simultaneously, so you can process audio and get an amplitude curve as a modulation output at the same time.

Yes, really useful! Great for efficient drum patches. thumbs up

BTW, I think it's great to have discussion about patches and module design in this thread. Software modular can serve as an open field of experimentation, where one can not only find new patches, but also conveniently compare different design and patching paradigms (admittedly, the modulation bus concept is a little bit in the way of patch-programming the Serge-way). In addition to the sound as well as the audio rate modulation and feedback possibilities, I think this is where Blocks really shines: building and patching can go hand in hand. It's the same openness that DIY adds to hardware modular, but in more accessible package.
thelizard

BTW, I think it's great to have discussion about patches and module design in this thread. Software modular can serve as an open field of experimentation, where one can not only find new patches, but also conveniently compare different design and patching paradigms (admittedly, the modulation bus concept is a little bit in the way of patch-programming the Serge-way). In addition to the sound as well as the audio rate modulation and feedback possibilities, I think this is where Blocks really shines: building and patching can go hand in hand. It's the same openness that DIY adds to hardware modular, but in more accessible package.

Absolutely. The primary reason I started Euro Reakt was for my students. It provided an experience that was very close to hardware on a platform (Reaktor) that is affordable to many. Softube Modular provides an interface that is perhaps more similar to hardware, but the iLok requirement coupled with the per-module DLC (and the inability to create or edit modules) makes it a less solid choice for educators.

Building on what you said about the modulation bus, I think the most notable differences between Reaktor and hardware are:
1) Decoupling the patching view from the interface.
2) Inability to quickly patch feedback in the Block patching view (Core will let you and attempt to auto-resolve, but it prefers that you set precedence manually).
3) No way (that I know of) to set up normalizations. A lot of my Blocks have interface switches to choose between a standard processing method or an alternative method that uses an external input. It would be great to have a Core object that provides terminal logic (i.e. "if something is plugged into this input, then...").
4) The modulation bus. The only Block where I broke with this paradigm was the Timbre Block.

It's great that each builder brings their own design style. That aspect alone makes it feel a lot more like Eurorack than most environments.
djthopa
Hi!

Thanks a lot for you euroreakt blocks!

I was wondering if you could recommend me a way to sequence from a hardware cv sequencer an oscillator inside reaktor.

Do i need any kind of conversion module?

Im using an es6 / es7 for cv inputs into reaktors in.

Pitch seems to be tracking ok but im having trouble with the gate / envelopes.

I have tried with a mfb urzwerg pro and a sq1, but no getting very good results..

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers
listentoaheartbeat
If you feed a 1V/Oct signal into Blocks via the ES-6, you will roughly match the (value of) 0.1/Octave scaling in Blocks due to the ES-6's 10V range (because 10V will translate to digital full scale / value of 1).

However, the ES-6 is not calibrated, so you will not have precise results. The best workaround would be to feed the signal to the Blocks Digilog Quantizer first. This way you can map your external signal to the correct semitone values in Blocks.

Gates and triggers should work just fine, actually. What sort of problem are you experiencing? Can you upload a scope screenshot of the external gates in Blocks?
djthopa
If you feed a 1V/Oct signal into Blocks via the ES-6, you will roughly match the (value of) 0.1/Octave scaling in Blocks due to the ES-6's 10V range (because 10V will translate to digital full scale / value of 1).

However, the ES-6 is not calibrated, so you will not have precise results. The best workaround would be to feed the signal to the Blocks Digilog Quantizer first. This way you can map your external signal to the correct semitone values in Blocks.

Gates and triggers should work just fine, actually. What sort of problem are you experiencing? Can you upload a scope screenshot of the external gates in Blocks?

Hey! Thanks a lot for the digilog quantizer tip. Im also using the gate out and my korg sq1 is triggering a monark polysynth really well.

Now time to make a lemur template and save on a poly.

Cheers!
rbhansen
Thought I'd share my solution to a frustrating experience trying to get Ableton Live, Reaktor's Pitch CV Out block and an Expert Sleepers ES-8 to play nicely (ie, calibrate). Found a post on the native-instruments forum that got me pointed in the right direction, streamlined it a bit and thought I'd share for others.

Biggest problem for me is that I could get calibration to work in Reaktor standalone, but not within Ableton Live.

Step by step instructions are at https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/reaktor-6-blocks-modu lar-synth-oscillator-calibration-problem.310843/
Worwell
Loving the Chaos blocks @thelizard, especially modulating between the different forms.

thelizard
Worwell wrote:
Loving the Chaos blocks @thelizard, especially modulating between the different forms.

Thanks! I was really happy with how the newer 1-3 Op Chaos Blocks turned out. I'm working on doing something similar for the Schroeder reverbs, as they all have identical interfaces. I may roll some of the other large Chaos Blocks together soon. Things were getting a bit unwieldy.

PS, I'm still using that Tempi every day!
Worwell
the lizard wrote:
Thanks! I was really happy with how the newer 1-3 Op Chaos Blocks turned out. I'm working on doing something similar for the Schroeder reverbs, as they all have identical interfaces. I may roll some of the other large Chaos Blocks together soon. Things were getting a bit unwieldy.

PS, I'm still using that Tempi every day!

Good to hear. Happy new year.
Unifono0815
I'm fairly new to modular synthesis, but maybe some of you will enjoy these patches I made. I love Blocks, they inspired me to start with my first modules.
I will get the ES-8 next to join the Blocks.
Special thanks to Michael for Euroreakt! One of the best learning resources ever. And it will save me a serious amount of money (hopefully). All the sequencing, probability, logic etc blocks are exactly what I'll need.

Embedded video doesn't work for me... Maybe some could help me. Thanks and cheers.
nrg242
i think if you remove the s from https the video embed works.

although i love having taken the plunge, reaktor blocks would have definitely held me over for quite a while before buying my first module. great way to find out if you like the idea/process. and as you said, a way to save cash.
Unifono0815
Thanks! Works
Xtheunknown
I thought I saw a Reaktor block that was able to output V/Hz instead of V/octave. I tried using the 1V/octave approach with my vintage MS-20 and, while it works 'OK' for pitch, it has undesirable filter control side effects, since it uses the TOTAL CV pathway. Does anyone know of a Reaktor block that can do V/Hz?
Nielsen
Are there Blocks like Mutable Instruments Grids out there? This thing is so helpful and its source code is open source. So, maybe?
kesserich
Unifono0815 wrote:
I'm fairly new to modular synthesis, but maybe some of you will enjoy these patches I made. I love Blocks, they inspired me to start with my first modules.
Special thanks to Michael for Euroreakt! One of the best learning resources ever. And it will save me a serious amount of money (hopefully). All the sequencing, probability, logic etc blocks are exactly what I'll need.

Embedded video doesn't work for me... Maybe some could help me. Thanks and cheers.

Really digging patches #2. Very nice. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

1)where the fuck did you get that Turing machine? It looks different from the turing machine included in EuroReakt and seems to let you change the step length?

2)It looks like you have the 8 Steps sequencing the kick but the sequencer seems to pause on some beats? How did you swing that?

3)You've got the probability switching between your hi-hats sounds and it seems tied to a 1/16h note clock, but everyone once in awhile it just rests? Again, what wizardry do you have going on there? smile
thelizard
kesserich wrote:
Unifono0815 wrote:

Really digging patches #2. Very nice. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

1)where the fuck did you get that Turing machine? It looks different from the turing machine included in EuroReakt and seems to let you change the step length?

2)It looks like you have the 8 Steps sequencing the kick but the sequencer seems to pause on some beats? How did you swing that?

3)You've got the probability switching between your hi-hats sounds and it seems tied to a 1/16h note clock, but everyone once in awhile it just rests? Again, what wizardry do you have going on there? smile

Unifono: Thanks for the kind words! I missed this earlier. The videos are fantastic.

kesserich, I'll try to answer some of these:
1) https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/10173/
2 & 3) It looks like the Clock Divider Block is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. There is active modulation on it, so in the case of the Hi-Hats, they're sequenced by the "1" divison, which is modulated occasionally to longer lengths. In effect, it adds in those rests.
Jamnuska
Just got an email about the turkey sale.

$99.50 till the end of the month (till NOV 30), plus a bunch of other stuff on sale.

May have to finally pick this thing up.
Unifono0815
thelizard wrote:
kesserich wrote:

Unifono: Thanks for the kind words! I missed this earlier. The videos are fantastic.

kesserich, I'll try to answer some of these:
1) https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/10173/
2 & 3) It looks like the Clock Divider Block is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. There is active modulation on it, so in the case of the Hi-Hats, they're sequenced by the "1" divison, which is modulated occasionally to longer lengths. In effect, it adds in those rests.

Sorry kesserich, I missed your post.
Thanks thelizard for answering the questions for me smile
Exactly, the rests are happening because the clockdivider is modulated by one of the random lfo's. The probability block is just for switching between closed and open hihat.

I'm happy you both like the patches, thanks!
djthopa
Wow im in love with Reaktor!

I need some counseling from dear wigglers.

Im using a native instruments f1 usign it to trigger samples inside reaktor with this:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/10261/

Im using it to trigger long loops that i use inside 4xGranuSampler, which is great too.

Problem is i would like to have more than 4 samples per row, so i was wondering if you had any reaktor / blocks sample player (if it loops the sample it would be great) recommendations.

Or i can dig my head in and start from scratch and learn how to make a simple sample player where i can have a good list of samples to choose from in a submenu.

Hoping someone can give me some counsel on this regard.

Many thanks!
phase ghost
Bought this last night (50% off), and have been putting it through it's paces for two days. Gotta say, I'm really impressed, and I've only been using Blocks so far.

Initially thought I'd have too much overlap with MaxMsp, but that is quite obviously not the case. This just feels like a software version of a modular, where I'm wearing my programmer hat in Max. Glad I pulled the trigger.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 24 of 25