MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STM32 programmer for Mutable DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author STM32 programmer for Mutable DIY
elcoco
Thanks a lot guys, I was looking around for a clear answer but couldn't find one.
gbiz
If you're after tips, it's also worth looking through the Clouds & the Mutable unsuccessful builds threads:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133272
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138926

I'll stick by what i said back there ^^^. The people who've had the least hassle flashing these modules use a genuine ST STLink-V2 & the Sparkfun breakout board. smile
GaryInHuaHin
I'm working with Peaks now. According to the schematic, it's different from Braids, having just GND, RX, and TX connected.

Will this affect programming by FTDI from a Discovery board using STLink on Windows?

And what is my connection? Straight pin-to-pin or do I flip RX and TX?

Thanks for your patient help!
bennelong.bicyclist
GaryInHuaHin wrote:
I'm working with Peaks now. According to the schematic, it's different from Braids, having just GND, RX, and TX connected.

Will this affect programming by FTDI from a Discovery board using STLink on Windows?

Read this page: http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/peaks/open

Does the Discovery board support FTDI USB to serial? I've always used an FTDI Friend as recommended on the page linked to above, or a genuine ST-Link v2 for JTAG. Both just worked.
av500
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
GaryInHuaHin wrote:

Read this page: http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/peaks/open

Does the Discovery board support FTDI USB to serial? I've always used an FTDI Friend as recommended on the page linked to above, or a genuine ST-Link v2 for JTAG. Both just worked.

the Discovery board has a builtin STLINK v2, but of course you can also jumper it to serial boot and connect an FTDI if you want that...
GaryInHuaHin

It does. I'm trying to use the hardware I have as I'm Thailand & buying anything new takes time & extra cost. I use the Discovery with 4ms already so I know it basically works.

I'll do the experiment of connecting. I can't imagine any harm occurring. Thanks much for help!
Morpher
I am about to build a Clouds right now, but I have no clue (yet) on how to program the chips etc.. Dead Banana

Can you put the firmware on the chips before soldering it onto the circuit? Or is that not true?
That would be sweet because then I could try and find someone who can help me with the chips while building it at the same time.. (hint hint help )
lasesentaysiete
Morpher wrote:

Can you put the firmware on the chips before soldering it onto the circuit? Or is that not true?

yes, it can be done, but I doubt you'd want to invest in the tools necessary to do it. Easier to flash in circuit.
av500
Morpher wrote:
I am about to build a Clouds right now, but I have no clue (yet) on how to program the chips etc.. Dead Banana

That would be sweet because then I could try and find someone who can help me with the chips while building it at the same time.. (hint hint help )

if you solder the STM to the PCB and the few components around it that are needed to power it then you can program it first before adding all the other stuff. and you can be sure that you are not soldering all your precious parts to a board with a chip you cant talk to.
Morpher
lasesentaysiete wrote:

yes, it can be done, but I doubt you'd want to invest in the tools necessary to do it. Easier to flash in circuit.

av500 wrote:

if you solder the STM to the PCB and the few components around it that are needed to power it then you can program it first before adding all the other stuff. and you can be sure that you are not soldering all your precious parts to a board with a chip you cant talk to.

Ah ok! So it could be possible.. hmmm.....
It's just that I was thinking about sourcing pre-programmed chips and add them at the end..
I think that would be the fastest method for now, but I will definitely dive into programming these kinds of chips so I don't have to ask others for help in the future..
lasesentaysiete
if you manage to get the module built, flashing is relatively easy. Not really worth "outsourcing".
av500
Morpher wrote:
lasesentaysiete wrote:

av500 wrote:

Ah ok! So it could be possible.. hmmm.....
It's just that I was thinking about sourcing pre-programmed chips and add them at the end..
I think that would be the fastest method for now, but I will definitely dive into programming these kinds of chips so I don't have to ask others for help in the future..

$60 buys you a TQFP64 test socket that you can wire up to 3.3 and STLINK to preprogram the CPU.
billyhologram
I've always used an FTDI Friend as recommended on the page linked to above, or a genuine ST-Link v2 for JTAG. Both just worked.

How long does it take to upload the firmware to a DIY MI module using these? I've understood that FTDI is slower, but what kind of difference are we talking about, ballpark?
jars
ive used a nucleo board to program an elements successfully but im having some trouble with braids. the st-link programming has never taken more than about 5 seconds. I already had a nucleo board, so I wanted to use that rather than buy an FTDI one.
Staticcharge
I'm just about to build a pair of plum audio apex modules, peaks clones. I see in earlier comments people have been using all sorts of devices to flash the firmware. I've got an FTDI interface can someone list the process? Assume I'm an idiot because I want to start from scratch and not trip myself up with information I already have.
Thanks all in advance.
defalut
Staticcharge wrote:
I'm just about to build a pair of plum audio apex modules, peaks clones. I see in earlier comments people have been using all sorts of devices to flash the firmware. I've got an FTDI interface can someone list the process? Assume I'm an idiot because I want to start from scratch and not trip myself up with information I already have.
Thanks all in advance.

Did you get a response, or solve it? I'm in a similar conundrum. I have I Basics (peaks with CV) which I have finished soldering mostly (still haven't figured out what t do with the boot and reset, to solder pins and use with jumpers or what).
But, I'm a n00b at the rest. I have a ftdi friend clone, but no idea of what to do now.
Staticcharge
defalut wrote:
Staticcharge wrote:
Thanks all in advance.

Did you get a response, or solve it? I'm in a similar conundrum. I have I Basics (peaks with CV) which I have finished soldering mostly (still haven't figured out what t do with the boot and reset, to solder pins and use with jumpers or what).
But, I'm a n00b at the rest. I have a ftdi friend clone, but no idea of what to do now.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've not been monitoring this thread.
I bought an STLink v2 from mouser and use the ST utility. Flash the bootloader first then the firmware (using the HEX files) job done. No need for button pressing.
defalut
Staticcharge wrote:
defalut wrote:
Staticcharge wrote:
Thanks all in advance.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've not been monitoring this thread.
I bought an STLink v2 from mouser and use the ST utility. Flash the bootloader first then the firmware (using the HEX files) job done. No need for button pressing.

Thanks for your reply, I solved it using a ftdi friend clone and some tips on Facebook.
Staticcharge
Any experience with clouds?
I can't get the module to work correctly after flashing the firmware...hmm
It's a factory build but it had alternate firmware, I erased the MCU and flashed the bootloader then the main clouds.HEX but the module has no effect over the audio.
cnicht
Do any of the LEDs illuminate on power-on?
defalut
Staticcharge wrote:
Any experience with clouds?
I can't get the module to work correctly after flashing the firmware...hmm
It's a factory build but it had alternate firmware, I erased the MCU and flashed the bootloader then the main clouds.HEX but the module has no effect over the audio.

Did you ask me? If so, sorry for the late reply. Miley Cyrus
Anyway - no, i don´t have any Clouds experience. Not so much Mutable either in any case. Working on a few now though; Pique, Twist (warps) and nRings so i´ll have to get down and serious with the programming.
Trying to figure out why i´m having no success flashing the Pique´s.

Did you work it out? Since it´s a factory-built unit you may have mopre luck in the official mutable forums, it´s only the DIY´s that cant have help there - but you already know this i´m sure.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2