MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ring Modulator Issue 3 Optional Capacitor Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Ring Modulator Issue 3 Optional Capacitor Question
Flareless
I'm presently building the Oakley Ring Modulator Issue 3. Three of the capacitors are listed in the Build Guide as "Optional" and marked with an asterisk. They are 47pF in C2 and C12 and 100pF in C5.

My question is if I leave them out do I have to do anything to the sockets for them or do I just leave the holes empty?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding them?

I guess that's really two questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: One more question; the Build Guide lists 50K or 100K trimpots. Which one is best to use?
Synthbuilder
Flareless wrote:
My question is if I leave them out do I have to do anything to the sockets for them or do I just leave the holes empty?

Just leave them empty. I don't bother fitting them. They were used in the original ARP module but I haven't found any advantage in fitting them.

Quote:
the Build Guide lists 50K or 100K trimpots. Which one is best to use?

You can use either. There is no difference in performance.

Tony
Flareless
Thanks for the quick and concise reply Tony! Working on your boards is a real pleasure. They are very clearly labeled, well built and the accompanying documentation makes working on them very straightforward even for a novice like myself.

The Ring Modulator would be finished by now, however, I accidentally ordered 2M Ohm resistors instead of 2M2 for R5 and R17.

I also thought I'd use 1N914s as a substitute for the 1N4148 signal diodes. I read that the 4148 was the successor to the 914. After reading that the 914 had 200 times greater leakage current, though, I decided to add the 4148s to my order and not take any chances.

I want this build to go by the book so I don't mess anything up.

Thanks again for all your help!
Synthbuilder
Thanks for the kind comments

Flareless wrote:
The Ring Modulator would be finished by now, however, I accidentally ordered 2M Ohm resistors instead of 2M2 for R5 and R17.

2M would work. 2M2 is the more common value which is why I chose it.

Quote:
I also thought I'd use 1N914s as a substitute for the 1N4148 signal diodes.

I think you'd probably OK with these too. The diodes aren't really being used as diodes in the sense of a one way road for electrons; so reverse leakage isn't an issue. It's their inherent voltage drop when they pass current that's useful in this particular circuit.

Tony
Flareless
Thanks again for the quick reply Tony!

I just checked the tracking number with the courier and they indicate the parts will be here today so I'm going to wait and use the specified components. Just in case (and to calm my OCD wink )

For any Canadians reading this... Digikey.ca is an incredible source for parts. Extremely fast delivery, excellent packaging and awesome Live Chat support (even at 6:30AM on a Saturday morning).

The only parts I couldn't get from Digi-Key for this build were the THAT components. I went to Mouser Canada (ca.mouser.com) for those. Also an excellent company to deal with.

The best part of dealing with both these companies if you live in Canada; No Duty charges or waiting time to clear Customs.
Flareless
My 4014 build is practically complete!

I could have added about 2cm to the yellow wire

There are two things from holding me up; first, my DotCom synthesizer isn't here yet so I have nothing to plug it into. Along with the synth I have an extra power supply coming so I can bench test my builds without fear of blowing up the synth.

Second is that because I haven't ever seen a DotCom power connector I'm not 100% sure I have the right mate on my board. I haven't soldered in the power connector yet. Once I confirm that I have the right connector when my power supply arrives I'll solder it in and then fire this beauty up.

Here's the connector I have

Next up - the Dual LFO
Flareless
Success! The Ring Modulator works great!!! w00t SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1