MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PlumButter 2 MWRS no lights
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author PlumButter 2 MWRS no lights
Carl Hungus
Hello

New owner of a new PB2 that I'm starting to come to terms with. The good news is that I'm slowly getting it and enjoying it. The bad news is I'm starting to suspect my MWRS isn't working. No matter what I patch where, there are no lights. And the red/white buttons do nothing. The snare works fine.

Do any of you kind folks have a quick patch tip to see if its fried? It lit up yesterday but I briefly tried patching an orange from a Rollz to the green for clock input (?), and I'm wondering if that did it. It might have been a brown, I can't remember as I'm still not clear when one uses browns or oranges from a rollz seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks!
Donderdag
Feed the green trigger input on MWRS an orange out from a four Rolz with the frequency cranked all the way up and hold down the red button on MWRS. If nothing lights up doing this then I'd say you have a problem sad banana
Carl Hungus
Thank you sir!

Holding the red button got lights back, they marched up grandly.

Of course, now I have even less of an idea of how that section works, as Peter seems to think its self evident, and erm....
hmmm.....
Donderdag
Carl Hungus wrote:
Thank you sir!

Holding the red button got lights back, they marched up grandly.

Of course, now I have even less of an idea of how that section works, as Peter seems to think its self evident, and erm....
hmmm.....

No problem! MWRS isn't your typical sequencer. You have to think of the red and white buttons more as a latch on/off, i.e. if you're holding one of them down during the time it takes the "clock" to progress to the next "beat", then the next step will be on/off, and will march up the smoke stack by one place for each new "clock" event. I put clock and beat in quotes because it doesn't need to be a clock in the traditional sense running MWRS, of course!

If you want your events to come back to the bottom of the smoke stack you can recycle them by plugging a banana from one of the top four orange jacks into the purple jack. Whenever the "beat" for that jack lights up the next beat at the base of the stack will also light up.

Hope that makes sense. Once you get events cycling back to the start try playing with holding down the white and red buttons and MWRS's operation should finally become "self evident" hihi
Carl Hungus
Thank you again! It almost makes sense, I have a glimmer of comprehension lol

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the orange and red outs? Peter mentions that the red are are the first 4 beat outs, but aren't orange outs as well? Is he just colour coding two groups of outs?

Now I just have to get a handle on the Rollz....
Donderdag
Carl Hungus wrote:
Thank you again! It almost makes sense, I have a glimmer of comprehension lol

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between the orange and red outs? Peter mentions that the red are are the first 4 beat outs, but aren't orange outs as well? Is he just colour coding two groups of outs?

Now I just have to get a handle on the Rollz....

No problem, happy to help!

The red outputs are negative pulse spikes. These are pretty nice for putting into the brown jacks on the rolz to affect their rhythms. The orange jacks are positive trigger/gate-type voltages. There's a good thread on all the output signals here. The plumbutter documentation has some good info on which signals should go where too, but it takes more than a few reads to appreciate Peter's "descriptions" thumbs up
sb
Also try stacking together some of the MWRS outputs (eg. patch cables between several orange), and then feed this to the FM input on a gongue or avdog. This will almost have the sequencer playing notes (in a crude kinda way). This tip was a real 'aha' moment for me.
Carl Hungus
Cool! Thanks guys thumbs up

I'll try that today. I actually woke up excited to play with this thing.

Just as an aside, is there a good Rollz thread that describes what they do in a practical sense (I've read some of Peter's documents)
Are the brown pulse generators that go around in a circle, like staggered multi of the frequency knob?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1