MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wretch processing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Wretch processing
Smokey
How do you process the Wretch?

I have a case where the Wretch and D1k are the main attractions. I usually like running the S-1000 through the R-56 reverb but now I'm wanting a bit more variety while not having to patch to another case. There is a 3u space just begging for some processing options.

Top choice would be a KV-100 but they are discontinued and would possibly add "more of the same" tube sounds and textures. But ive never played a KV-100 so that is just an assumption. I know it has some unique features. The KV-100 rack is 4U but id make room.

Other options I'm considering:
3u of Euro (with some interesting digital modules maybe an R-53)
Sherman filter bank
TC fireworx and/or other rack effects

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe what I'm really looking for is someone to push me over the fence on the Assblaster. Tell me to be patient until I can find one!
thermionicjunky
I always liked inserting processors between the VCOs and the rest of the Wretch. Flanging is a favorite, but there isn't anything in Euro quite like the Modcan VC Flanger. A mixer ( either with VC or external VCAs or a crossfader). Maybe a phaser.
Kent
I'm with Thermionicjunky on this. One of my favourite things was to insert a Doepfer A-188-2 into the signal path of the oscillators. Other forms of similar modulation would work wonders: Phasers, Flangers, time and tone smearers, etc.
Click on the Doepfer A-188-2 in order to hear it. There is also some Plague Bearer and digital delay in there but most of what is heard it the Wretch's filter and the A-188-2.

Have you considered a TM-2? Here's the Wretch with a TM-1 and TM-2 that I patched up in some manner a few years ago:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gen-xtargetmarket/wretch[/s]

Just put aside some money for a KV-100 so that you can pounce when one shows up. You could also use a D-1000 or D-2000 as a bank of BP filters.
Villarceau
There is an Assblaster for sale at Big City Music. I would get it but need to be careful with cash atm.
I do think that you might enjoy 3U with FX more, especially delay, phaser and reverb. You already have most Assblaster features in the Wretch, right?
Don't forget CV sources or sequencers, maybe you might need more variety upstream rather than downstream.
Smokey
Thanks for the replies. Flangers and phasers actually sound like a perfect compliment. Also, that A-188-2 looks really, really nice. I don't think I've seen that one before. An A-101-3 is on it's way to me that I'm excited to try with the Wretch. I'm leaning towards an effects/processor eurorack now.

I've seen that Assblaster at BigCityMusic and it has tempted me too. While the Wretch is great for processing and has a few similar features, I've always wanted an Assblaster… love BigCity but I don't love their N.O.S. prices.

Those TM's sound great with the Wretch Kent. Thanks for posting that. The TM-2 is twin bass pass filters? Hmmmm… perhaps I should try pushing the Wretch through the D-1000 more often.
Kent
Smokey wrote:

Those TM's sound great with the Wretch Kent. Thanks for posting that. The TM-2 is twin bass pass filters? Hmmmm… perhaps I should try pushing the Wretch through the D-1000 more often.

Thanks and you're welcome.
I did post something about putting the Wretch though the BP filters of either the D-2000 or D-1000 at the end of my post. That should give you taste of dual BP filter action although the TM-2 does have a differing feature set.

There is a more reasonably priced KV-100/Assblaster up for auction on spheremusic.com

I just had a thought; how about considering the Moog MF-108M ClusterFlux? That thing is fantastic and could be used in place of the very large A-188-2. The Moog is also equipped with 1/4" jacks.
Carl Hungus
Moog stuff works well with Metasonix, I integrate my Voyager and foogers into my Metasonix paths a lot. Albeit that's mostly TM stuff.
Also a Synth Tech Deflector Shield is good value for Euro fx. Maybe a Res 4 would be nice. Echophon and Erbeverb are both fun.
Crowyote
Cluster Flux w/ MF-103 in the effects loop . . . one of the lushest flanging chorus phasers ever.
QuantumMechanakillWave
I know that it sounds like heresy, but I sometimes like to run the wretch into a solid state filter. You can "tame" it to your discretion. My favorite filter to use is the one on my Doepfer dark energy 1. Sounds amazing. I also love to run the wretch into my mf-104 delay. Shorter delay times with higher feedback settings yield excellent results. I also really like to run the wretch into my my Disaster transport sr. By earthquaker devices. Sometimes I go nuts and run the wretch into my Agonizer, and then into my mesa boogie half-stack, mic that cabinet and record the feed through my Groove tibes ViPre. Crunchy tube goodness. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Smokey
I'm just not sure about the Foogers… I have the low pass filter, which was my first and only Moog gear. I got it for the Moog Low Pass Filter Sound™… which is just okay (hides) but pretty great for funk bass Rockin' Banana! . I've always been interested in their more esoteric pedals… sad that of few of the ones I was interested in were discontinued this year.

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
Sometimes I go nuts and run the wretch into my Agonizer, and then into my mesa boogie half-stack, mic that cabinet and record the feed through my Groove tibes ViPre. Crunchy tube goodness. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

eek! sad banana we're not worthy Dead Banana
QuantumMechanakillWave
I agree about the fooger low pass. I sold mine after several months of wanting to love it. It is not comparable to the filter in my voyager xl. I know that the voyager has a dual filter, but the mooger fooger filter is lifeless by comparison. I really enjoy the sound of wretch through the filter of the dark energy. Let's just say that it got me collecting cem chips.

Smokey wrote:
I'm just not sure about the Foogers… I have the low pass filter, which was my first and only Moog gear. I got it for the Moog Low Pass Filter Sound™… which is just okay (hides) but pretty great for funk bass Rockin' Banana! . I've always been interested in their more esoteric pedals… sad that of few of the ones I was interested in were discontinued this year.

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
Sometimes I go nuts and run the wretch into my Agonizer, and then into my mesa boogie half-stack, mic that cabinet and record the feed through my Groove tibes ViPre. Crunchy tube goodness. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

eek! sad banana we're not worthy Dead Banana
Smokey
Bumping this thread just to ask the same thing. A lot of new, interesting things have come out since I originally asked this 3 years ago.

Any new favorite ways to process the Wretch? Or your Metasonix gear in general?

I'm thinking that maybe something digital and completely different would be cool.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1