MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
FetidEye
Cadet VCO waveform tip:

For sawtooth (rising and falling type)
Bring out the SQR wave form to you panel.
Patch the TRI wave into a Fader (cadet C6)
Patch the SQR from the same VCO to the CV input of the fader
adjust the attenuator + offset

The output result is a sawtooth that can be inversed by adjusting the attenuator + offset
dubtoms
Can somebody make demos with Cadet Modules only ? I'm think about including a Video section in my new rack... Mr. Green
Also is Thonk the only option for PCB/Panel sets ?
FetidEye
I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:
I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.


I can try capture something too.. ill upload some pics of my briefcase I think it went actually pretty cool too!

I'm puzzled on how to make work the Cadet Multiplier and Cadet Processor... I don't understand what they do, or HOW should I patch them... it seems that the work as some sort of attenuators/mixers on the signals but can't figure out what they do the the input signals...

can you describe or suggest any patches with them so I can further explore? I have patched them in a lot of ways but... Still puzzled.
FetidEye
I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:


Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)


The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less or more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:
I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:


Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)


The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less ore more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)



Oh nice! I get a good idea now.. I'll have to experiment to see how I can use it in my patches THANKS!
lcf
I'd like to make my own alu panels just buying the PCBs.
Does somebody know if panels dimensions with holes placements etc... are available somewhere please??
If I have to wire them I'll do it , I'd prefer to avoid it.
FetidEye
you can download the template I've made:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/main.ai

and then scale the modules to actual eurorack size (some might already be the good size.)

Then you can make the panel design.
lcf
Thank you! That's awesome!! It's motherfucking bacon yo
It opens in Illustrator but a few files appear to be missing.
FetidEye
use this new link:

http://www.reverselandfill.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/main2.ai
lcf
Thanks this one works perfectly. thumbs up
mafouka
Any builders willing to build my friend a Scaler? He just got a cortex and maths, needs that 1v action
FetidEye
sure
joem
Hi all. Video synth newbie here (though I've got plenty of DIY eurorack experience) looking to give this a try. I just wanted to check somethings before I start with some of these Cadet modules...

As far as I can tell, if I were to make a Cadet I Sync Generator, a Cadet II RGB Encoder, and a Cadet IV Dual Ramp Generator (and get a sync cable), that'd be enough to create some basic video (just some static gradients) with the modules, right?

Also, do all the CV inputs only deal in 0-1V, or is that just the video signals that are in that range? If it is the CV inputs too, is it possible that the Cadet modules would be damaged by going outside the 0-1V range, or will the CVs just be clipped?
FetidEye
Your assumption is right. With a C1, C2 and C4 you can create still images of gradients.
This is a perfect way to check if the Sync & RGB encoder modules work as intended.

The cv inputs accept higher voltages , but those will be clipped.
joem
Awesome. Thanks. Time for me to jump into some video synthesis!
sambell001
Hey Gang.

Just assembled a couple of Cadet VCO's.

Theoretically I can send the output directly into any R,G or B input on the VC and see a result, right?

Or do I neeeed to connect the sync cable?

Or have I just cocked up the soldering??
FetidEye
you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help smile
sambell001
FetidEye wrote:
you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help smile


Hey thanks smile

I used Vertical B10k's from thonk as they'd ran out of Right angles. Maybe that's the glaring problem... I'm fairly certain all the components are in the right spots. Soldering is the best I've managed yet but still pretty ugly.

I am a noob to this. Will probably have to start over or do a bit of learning to figure out where exactly the culprit in the circuit is! Dead Banana
[img]https://ibb.co/cHrr7S[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/kudFZ7[/img]
FetidEye
the DPDT switch looks like it is not soldered?
the vertical pots should work. you might wired the backwards though.
the Q2a /Q2b transistors have a short (the solder is touching)
the middle pin of the L7805 looks like a bad joint. reflow!
Are the unlabeled IC's TL072's?

I'll check the parts later, I have to screw my VCO from my rack


does the module give any signal?
FetidEye
I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!
sambell001
FetidEye wrote:
I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!


Wow OK! You have filled me with hope! I will work through this and report back Sensei!
Thanks so much. Wish me luck! Hopefully next post will be some pics of some sweet sweet vertical lines smile
prae
what’s up, total video noob here...

interested in getting a few of these to slot in my euro...

is there anywhere i can read a run down of what each module does / how you would use it in a system? i’m finding it hard to make sense of some of these concepts.
FetidEye
Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.


I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncategorized/lzx-cadet-patch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!
prae
FetidEye wrote:
Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.


I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncategorized/lzx-cadet-patch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!


awesome, thank you - really helpful smile

so a basic starter system could be just one of each of the above? maybe apart from a ramp gen (i have a maths)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group