MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
FetidEye
a Maths is not the same as the Ramp generator.
I'll try to make an example later this week

The thing with video is that if you want to do color, you need 3 of each (RGB)
An 1 color channel can be something like this:
-VCO
-Fader
-Processor

For modulation and color stuff you need these:
-Scaler
-Ramps
-Hard key
-Multiplier

A basic system could be something like this:

1x sync
1x video encoder
1x video input
3x VCO
3x Fader
3x Processor
1x Ramps
1x Scaler

Add 3x Hard Keys and 3x Multipliers for more effects and cv control
(and maybe another Scaler)
prae
FetidEye wrote:
a Maths is not the same as the Ramp generator.
I'll try to make an example later this week
)

thank you for this, and all your help in fact.

obviously you need 3 osc's, my bad for overlooking that. but why would you need 1 fader and processor per VCO?
FetidEye
you can skimp on the Faders, but Processors are needed to mix the colors

In most of my patches the color chain is OSC-> Fader-> Processor->output
if I do synthesis. (with a lot of modulation added of coarse)

The faders are mostly used to create soft wipes and patterns, the processor is used to set the intensity , to create nuances in the colors.

If you patch the OSC directly to the output, you will get very hard colors, Red Green en Blue. To get yellow, pink, light green, purple, orange etc you have to mix different sources.

The processor is also a simple 2ch mixer with inversion, so that is VERY useful.
It is not voltage controllable, so you need to do that elsewhere, hence the Fader. (or the multiplier)
Starspawn
What Im wondering as it seems color mixing in this context means having the same (or parts of same) signal going to more than one RGB out at different levels ... how stackable friendly is it patching these signals? Are they buffered enough to handle going 3-4 places from one out?
I also assume passive attenuators work as normal?
FetidEye
My system used to be bananas, so I stacked away and had no troubles
now I have jacks & multiples, that works also.

passive att. works too.

Attenuation is the keyword . else the colors will become boring. (hard RGB is only fun for a while)

ps: you can also use the Fader to mixer shapes and make new ones.
Then you attenuate / invert the output to get certain color mixes
prae
alright, so i just got a TrinsRGB, gonna build it this weekend... AND i see cadet got restocked on Thonk... wink

what modules would you guys advise to play nice with the RGB?
FetidEye
you could get the trinsRGB expander (by LZX) to get the 3trins oscillator signals into the LZX format.

That works good.

the rest is up to you. there are multiple routes to take smile
all cadet modules are cool! also check the new Castle DIY modules!
prae
FetidEye wrote:
you could get the trinsRGB expander (by LZX) to get the 3trins oscillator signals into the LZX format.

That works good.

the rest is up to you. there are multiple routes to take smile
all cadet modules are cool! also check the new Castle DIY modules!

you cool guy. thanks for all your words of advice smile
Brendanleespengler
Thank you for the breakdown on the Cadets, FetidEye! And your website is extremely helpful. That woodpaneled LZX system you got is wildstyle, though.
I’ve got two VCOs and a Hard Key Gen, along with a fledgling rack sportin’ the Visual Cortex, Bridge, Staircase, a Brown Shoes Only triple LFO (highly recommended, btw!), and a Sensory Translator to use with my musical partner. Not sure if I’m ready for the Shapechanger/Navigstor pair yet. I’ve been told to check out the Passage or Curtain first.
wazz
Hi!

I'm trying to build the CADET IX VCO.
I just solder most of the resistor and somehow I can't find placement for R47 and R41. Is that correct that those are not present on the board, or did I mess something up ?

Cheers,
Junk Rhythm
wazz wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to build the CADET IX VCO.
I just solder most of the resistor and somehow I can't find placement for R47 and R41. Is that correct that those are not present on the board, or did I mess something up ?

Cheers,

Both are in the top left.

wazz
Thanks! ... damn, I messed up very frustrating
Fabong
What are the recommendations for adding Castle modules to a video synth? i.e. How many of each is ideal? I assume 3x VCO and 1x everything else is sufficient but I am really just guessing!
FetidEye
Cadet modules: are the "normal" building blocks.
The original system 21 collection has the ideal amount of modules to get started :
1x sync
1x video input
1x ramps
1x encoder
1x scaler
4x processor
4x fader
4x hard key
4x VCO

a basic synthesis setup would be:
1x sync
1x ramps
1x encoder
1x scaler
3x processor
3x fader
3x hard key
3x VCO

but you will need to modulate them with other sources. so maybe get more scalers, in different configurations (input and output of video signals)
This is assuming you have eurorack audio VCO's and LFO's to modulate.

I started with the system 21. I expanded this system with DIY Sandin modules and more VCO's, mixers, Multipliers and recently some Castle modules. it is a lot of fun smile

The Castle modules are 3bit CMOS units. you will need at least 1x ADC and 1x DAC. all other modules will go between (or not, output will get clipped)
If you are going with the shift register, flipflop or counter, you will need a clock OSC.

note: check out the new LZX Community forum:
https://community.lzxindustries.net/
Fabong
Hi guys, not strictly Cadet news but PCBs are available free of charge here for a limited time if you're interested in making DIY Sandin function generators and differentiators;

https://community.lzxindustries.net/t/diy-alert-free-sandin-ip-pcbs-av ailable-built-modules-also/342

Even the postage was free for me! LZX has a nice community.
bentoncbainbridge
FetidEye wrote:
and I see that there are a lot more cadets coming out !

Cadet X Multiplier
Cadet XI Noise Generator
Cadet XII Wavefolder/Freq Doubler
Cadet XIII 3-Input Mixer
Cadet XIV Gamma Shaper

awesome!

Did 11-14 ever get released?
FetidEye
no. it stopped at Cadet X. But there was some talk on the LZX forum about the other modules.

It might still happen in the future.
Gosseyn
Hi everyone. First, many thanks to everyone contributing to this topic, which is a very valuable source on information.

I want to start a Cadet video synth and I would like your advice on the choice of 8 starter modules. I know that 8 modules is not enough, but I won't be able to fit more in my current rack, and I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on that in the near future to build a new rack and buy more PCBs.

I do have a bunch of Eurorack audio modules that I could use though. I have among others a Disting mk4 that features a precision adder that might be useful to get signals between 0 and 1v, plus a bunch of VCOs, LFOs and envelopes.

So, I was thinking about this list of starter modules :
1 Sync generator
1 RGB Encoder
2 VCOs
2 Processors
1 Fader
1 Dual Ramp Generator

Does that make any sense ? I'm obviously not expecting to do groundbreaking stuff, only to get me started on video synthesis.

Thanks for your answers !
aladan
Gosseyn wrote:
Hi everyone. First, many thanks to everyone contributing to this topic, which is a very valuable source on information.

I want to start a Cadet video synth and I would like your advice on the choice of 8 starter modules. I know that 8 modules is not enough, but I won't be able to fit more in my current rack, and I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on that in the near future to build a new rack and buy more PCBs.

I do have a bunch of Eurorack audio modules that I could use though. I have among others a Disting mk4 that features a precision adder that might be useful to get signals between 0 and 1v, plus a bunch of VCOs, LFOs and envelopes.

So, I was thinking about this list of starter modules :
1 Sync generator
1 RGB Encoder
2 VCOs
2 Processors
1 Fader
1 Dual Ramp Generator

Does that make any sense ? I'm obviously not expecting to do groundbreaking stuff, only to get me started on video synthesis.

Thanks for your answers !

To some degree what you get will determine what you end up doing with it. That's a fair starter kit, not dissimilar to the basic cadets I have. My differences are a video input module (so I can include and colourise external video images into my patterns and use external video for layering/switching effects) and I don't have a ramp generator so I use a VCO for that sort of thing instead. So compared to me, you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

Also I diy'd a 4x3 matrix mixer (based on Ken Stone's CGS designs) on stripboard, so I picked up a hard keyer and a multiplier rather than any processors.

Non-video euro modules go a long way for generating DC CVs and wider horizontal colouring needs, and audio oscillators are fine for modulating video rate VCOs. The only slight pain can be converting all the +/-12V signals down to LZX's 1V levels, but you could always solder up a few 1/8" cables with in-built voltage dividers, although there's a risk of impedance issues I guess.
Gosseyn
Hi aladan, thanks for your helpful answer.

aladan wrote:
you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

That's perfect since generating basic patterns is what I was hoping to do. I don't have many external sources that I could process anyway.

I'll probably follow your lead and ditch the processors in favour of the hard keyer and multiplier. Processors can probably be easily replaced by something else.

Voltage divider cables are also a great idea, I'll look into it.
aladan
Gosseyn wrote:
Hi aladan, thanks for your helpful answer.

aladan wrote:
you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

That's perfect since generating basic patterns is what I was hoping to do. I don't have many external sources that I could process anyway.

I'll probably follow your lead and ditch the processors in favour of the hard keyer and multiplier. Processors can probably be easily replaced by something else.

Voltage divider cables are also a great idea, I'll look into it.

No worries. Processors of some sort are important, and if they're mixing/attenuverting higher video frequency signals then they need to use op-amps with sufficient bandwidth. A typical audio op-amp can just manage thick vertical banding, but not really thin ones. For my DIY matrix mixer I used LM6172 instead of TL074, which meant I have to redo the layout for dual op-amps instead of quads.

So maybe just swap one processor for the hard keyer, and don't worry about the multiplier just yet (the fader does a very similar thing).

Remember video sources are basically free! Just find someone selling an old VCR for $1 on craigslist/gumtree/etc :-) But synchronising two or more of them together if you want to combine sources is a bit more costly.

Cheers,
A.
FetidEye
most of the panasonic mx10 / AV5 mixers I own, cost about 5 to 50 euro on the second hand market.
Gosseyn
Allright, thanks for the clarification on processors. I will get at least one.

Adding external sources seems indeed promising and pretty cheap, it will probably be my next move after building the first run of starter modules.
legs
So I recently decide to get into the video synthesis and purchased 18 modules of the cadet series. Have about 9 of them soldered up. I think I might be having an issue with my sync generator tho. I'm getting only a solid black screen. The voltages are 5.06V coming off the 7805 and are 5.06V at the pinouts on the ATMEGA88. I read that pin 23 should be high when it's switched to NTSC and low when switched to PAL. I'm reading always high on pin 23 no matter what is selected. Can anyone help me out?
Starspawn
Which holes did you use for the switch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 7 of 8