MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
Matos
http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-system-21/
DSC
Intense!!!!!! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
eth
Sweet! Any ideas what the +/- knob on the Cadet IX VCO does? Fine frequency control? Stoked on these cheap, compact, & DIY modules!

Eloc
Argh man, I just ordered all the cadet modules they had up before christmas, and now there's a bunch more...

@eth perhaps it's an attenuator/verter for the CV input. Looks like it's on the CV in of most of the modules, at least that's what I think the line suggests.
loderbast
i am very pumped about finaly seeing some diy video modules. all my stuff is mostly diy thats why while having a big audio modular, my video gear is all modded video mixers and stuff like that. this might kick me of to get into modular for video aswell...
gzifcak
very exciting! happy about the BOM csv as well (looking at the fader and scaler pages). those of us who just want PCBs should have an easy time building up parts orders to upload to Mouser.

looks like the main advantage of the existing out-of-stock modules will come down to functionality per hp. doing the same things with the cadet modules will just take more modules and more patch cables, and more fine tuning.
but this makes it easy to get into the format cheaply and build up a system in small increments, which should lead to a bigger network of users.

nice move LZX!
AR126
gzifcak wrote:
very exciting! happy about the BOM csv as well (looking at the fader and scaler pages). those of us who just want PCBs should have an easy time building up parts orders to upload to Mouser.

looks like the main advantage of the existing out-of-stock modules will come down to functionality per hp. doing the same things with the cadet modules will just take more modules and more patch cables, and more fine tuning.
but this makes it easy to get into the format cheaply and build up a system in small increments, which should lead to a bigger network of users.

nice move LZX!

which leads me to ask,where ARE the restocks...
(waiting on a colorspace mapper myself)
wednesdayayay
still waiting on my triple filter pre-order hopefully in january This is fun!

so what cadet series modules would I need to get a non gen lock capable video source (just a single yellow composite output) into my current LZX system?
I've got a 104hp 1u row I can fill with some cadet series lzx modules or 1u tiles
gzifcak
Quote:
so what cadet series modules would I need to get a non gen lock capable video source (just a single yellow composite output) into my current LZX system?
I've got a 104hp 1u row I can fill with some cadet series lzx modules or 1u tiles

what do you have so far? if you have a sync generator + encoder or visual cortex you can already get video in. basically the cadet modules are very basic cut-down versions of some of the existing modules:

fader = one small section of the TVFKG
hard key gen = one other small section of TVFKG
processor = 1/3 of TVP
dual ramp = ramps with only 1 horiz shape and 1 vertical
vco = cut down VWG with only triangle waveform
etc, etc

so i'd get whichever cadet modules don't duplicate what you already have or that you need more of
gzifcak
AR126 wrote:

which leads me to ask,where ARE the restocks...
(waiting on a colorspace mapper myself)

i know, i'm dying to max out my credit card on those classic modules...hopefully shifting the manufacturing to Darkplace will allow them to scale up production and keep everything that's in constant demand in stock. it's a good sign that the demand is there (and growing) though.
wednesdayayay
I should further explain what I have currently
LZX
cortex, 2x VWG,
Brownshoesonly
atten mixer, VCA
4ms
black row power
I would be wanting a secondary video input channel I've already got everything for one channel sorted (composite to component, v4 video mixer, visual cortex) but Id like to add some different video into the second channel of the visual cortex

as I stated about I pre ordered form the most recently batch of triple video filters and I also just ordered a video blending matrix and triple key generator/fader.
Your information is super helpful thank you
Dirty_Bill
Your best bet to get additional video input is the triple video interface. I get four onochrome sources into the system this way.

I havent seen details fo the cadet sync system yet so can't say if/how it will be compatible with the current LZX hardware, although I can speculate it will take sync via RCA from the connector complement on the panel... I'd guess Lars will have more details about the series after the holidays.

I'm curious myself...

wednesdayayay wrote:
I should further explain what I have currently
LZX
cortex, 2x VWG,
Brownshoesonly
atten mixer, VCA
4ms
black row power
I would be wanting a secondary video input channel I've already got everything for one channel sorted (composite to component, v4 video mixer, visual cortex) but Id like to add some different video into the second channel of the visual cortex

as I stated about I pre ordered form the most recently batch of triple video filters and I also just ordered a video blending matrix and triple key generator/fader.
Your information is super helpful thank you
gzifcak
@wednesdayayay i've never used the v4 but if you can route the inputs to 2 separate outputs you can use that to get your signals in sync, then feed one into the cortex like you normally do, and the other into a cadet video input or triple video interface and then into the cortex.

you could even just try going straight in from the v4 to the cortex with an 1/8 inch adapter, the sync and subcarrier might not cause you any problems.
FetidEye
i'm getting exited about the cadet series!!
makers
Newb question- Can anyone venture to guess if the Cadet Fader could crossfade standard color 480i composite video signals from a camera or the output of 3trinsRGB?

https://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-vi-fader/
smrl
Not really. It might work if you built it with a 75 ohm resistor at the output rather than the 500 ohm I'm assuming is there. But both sources would need to be synchronized for this to work, and I'd still expect it to behave weird, in particular with the color.
FetidEye
i just saw that Thonk has a few cadet modules (pcb + panel) for sale!!
(the fader + the scaler)
gzifcak
smrl wrote:
Not really. It might work if you built it with a 75 ohm resistor at the output rather than the 500 ohm I'm assuming is there. But both sources would need to be synchronized for this to work, and I'd still expect it to behave weird, in particular with the color.

I'm curious to see someone try this. If you swapped the output resistor and didn't do anything to the signal beyond mixing, I assume it would work fine. We know the bandwidth of the chip is high enough (40 mhz) to pass the color subcarrier, and we know there's enough headroom to pass the positive video waveform as well as the negative sync signal, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a low cost standalone voltage controlled composite video mixer.

Heck I'll try it if and when my pcb arrives.
makers
So are the Cadet series CV inputs are scaled for 1V like other LZX? I wonder if they could they built for 5 V.
Cat-A-Tonic
makers wrote:
So are the Cadet series CV inputs are scaled for 1V like other LZX? I wonder if they could they built for 5 V.

When I asked about why the 1V range was chosen
I was told it was due to power usage of the high bandwidth video opamps.

If these circuits were designed for a 5V range,
they would be much more power hungry.
cskonopka
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
makers wrote:

There is an alternative build PDF on the webpage for this that is 5X gain so you could go 1V to 5V. I could be misinterpreting this though. hmmm.....

http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-v-scaler/
Dirty_Bill
makers wrote:

Yes, there's an alternative schema for 5Volts, but only the processing and scaling modules make sense to build that way unless you are working with audio. the 1Volt scaling is aimed at processing the 'meat' of the video signal which has a range of about 0- .8 volts.

Also, I'd this that none of these cadet modules are that power hungry, and since they don't have near the complexity of the latter modules. But I could be wrong, I haven't sim'd them...
FetidEye
does anyone have a clue as for when this Cadet series is available again?
I'd love to start building these!!

(most modules are on backorder only now)
Eloc
FetidEye wrote:
does anyone have a clue as for when this Cadet series is available again?
I'd love to start building these!!

(most modules are on backorder only now)

I think they've always been on backorder from LZX. I have been told they start shipping in a month or so though (at least some of them). However, Thonk have a couple of them to buy now I believe.
okelk
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
makers wrote:

I think it's mostly to do with the fact that video stuff uses high frequencies. If you would want to generate 5v video signals you would need opamps with a even faster slewrate than the (already expensive) opamps that video-modules are using now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 2 of 8