MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
FetidEye
Eloc wrote:
FetidEye wrote:
does anyone have a clue as for when this Cadet series is available again?
I'd love to start building these!!

(most modules are on backorder only now)

I think they've always been on backorder from LZX. I have been told they start shipping in a month or so though (at least some of them). However, Thonk have a couple of them to buy now I believe.

it' s too bad that the modules that Thonk has, are not really starter modules.
I mean, no oscillators or a sync generator.

a month sound hopeful though!
Polykrom
Just noticed that the schematics for the fader and the scaler are available from LZX' site – that's neat! It's interesting as a starting point for DIY designs. Are there plans to make more Cadet modules open source?

On that note, I was looking at the level shifter schematic and noticed that there's quite a few unpopulated footprints. Any clues on what they might be for?

And while I'm at it, at the risk of asking an excessively basic question: in the 5X gain version (here), it seems that one half of a dual opamp is being used as a buffer (U4) while the other half does not really do anything. I'd expect the VREF net to be at GND with that configuration. What would happen if one were to omit U4 and just connect straight to GND? Would there be impedance issues?
Dirty_Bill
Polykrom wrote:
Just noticed that the schematics for the fader and the scaler are available from LZX' site – that's neat! It's interesting as a starting point for DIY designs. Are there plans to make more Cadet modules open source?

It's my understanding that all the Cadet series schematics will be released.
tenshun
Has anyone built up the Color video encoder or Sync Generator? i received my pcbs and components but found out that the Color Video Encoder has a SMD ic.

The Sync Generator PCB had its SMD ic already soldered on to it.
Dirty_Bill
tenshun wrote:
Has anyone built up the Color video encoder or Sync Generator? i received my pcbs and components but found out that the Color Video Encoder has a SMD ic.

The Sync Generator PCB had its SMD ic already soldered on to it.

Lars just posted the schematics and I had a look. That's likely a preprogrammed Atmega pre-soldered to the sync generator. Probably a bit sensitive for DIY.

I just looked at my encoder boards, and U4 is soic-16
584-AD724JRZ

Shouldn't be terribly hard to solder, but it isn't through hole.
tenshun
i will wait to build that one as i do not have a soldering iron with a fine tip.

but i am looking forward to getting all these lined up!
Polykrom
FIY, the schematics for a bunch of Cadets were released today w00t

tenshun wrote:
i will wait to build that one as i do not have a soldering iron with a fine tip.

Actually, you'll probably find it easier to use a wide chisel (aka flat, aka screwdriver) tip for this – I use a 2mm one for most of my SMD work. There's a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, from EEVBlog et.al. It's really easy! If you have a good hot air gun with temperature control, you can also use reflow techniques.
FetidEye
I ordered a Cadet system 21 SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Can't wait to start this project!!
eth
FetidEye wrote:
I ordered a Cadet system 21 SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Can't wait to start this project!!

something wonderful that's fantastic, now we know who to bug if we have build problems!
FetidEye
hah, I ordered pcb's only, so I'm in the same boat as you.
together we can work it out
hihi
plugugly
Several large parts orders are enroute for cadet boards shipped sofar..and started assembly of the RGB encoder last night. Pics in the near future!
FetidEye
yeah, i checked all the stuff i need for the cadet 21 bundle.
this is a very large (my largest ever) project!!

I have to decide what i will build first ;
like an oscillator and the sync and the output or so, to have some basic setup

nanners
and make new banana panels!!
plugugly
Yup, encoder then sync gen for me.
Ya-Neck
So if I would like to do some approximative Vector rescanning on my modified vectrex, would the Cadet III Video Input be right for this?
cskonopka
Q: So to put together a Cadet one would have to read the schematic or are there alternative build guides?
FetidEye
There is a BOM for every Cadet, so if you follow the value codes, it is doable. The schematic can be used if you are unsure about some parts, or if you want to go full diy.
i think Lars said there will be build guides at some point.
nickciontea
Ya-Neck wrote:
So if I would like to do some approximative Vector rescanning on my modified vectrex, would the Cadet III Video Input be right for this?

i believe you also need the sync generator for the video input to work correctly. just don't need the rgb encoder since your are outputting xyz to vectrex/waveform monitor rather than a video monitor
Ya-Neck
nickciontea wrote:
Ya-Neck wrote:

i believe you also need the sync generator for the video input to work correctly. just don't need the rgb encoder since your are outputting xyz to vectrex/waveform monitor rather than a video monitor

Great! thanks for the info! thumbs up
modestnikov
where are demo-videos with examples?
michel07
Hello,
I post here my question because I can't create a new topic. And it concern the cadet series.
I would like to smart a simple video modular rack. The only thing I really need now is a system to mix 2 cameras with negative effect and also feedback possibilities, with CV control of mix & negative pot. I only play in Black&White. So, do I need sync generator for each camera? What are the options to play with negative effect? I guess the Video Blending Matrix would be a good option if available. Thanks for your advices...
sync24
hello smile

does anyone have any of the switches needed for the Sync Gen?
Mouser are out... I only need one
http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=10TF230virtualkey1 2040000virtualkey10TF230
FetidEye
The VCO files are online!

and I got a message from Lars that my cadet 21 is shipping soon... Whooo!
Joe.
FetidEye wrote:
The VCO files are online!

yah, was excited when i saw those yesterday. I didn't want to start without them.

Sas anyone tried ordering them to see if they're in stock or not? (I noticed Thonk doesn't have them listed yet either)
sync24
sync24 wrote:
hello smile

does anyone have any of the switches needed for the Sync Gen?
Mouser are out... I only need one
http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=10TF230virtualkey1 2040000virtualkey10TF230

Alternatively, I'm going to hardwire this as I wont be using any NTSC stuff...
'could still do with some of these switches as I notice they are needed for the VCO...
anyone got three (i haven't got the PCB or anything, though, just thinking ahead)?
Cat-A-Tonic
Are there any pics of the assembled Scaler modules that show which component arrangements boost and which cut etcetera?

I have 2 factory built.
They both seem to attenuate on all channels.
I was told that one would boost.
Same components on both.

Is there any way to turn a cut build into a boost version?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 3 of 8