MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Cadet Series (DIY/Assembled)
Cata
Well these look pretty rad!

Quote:
The LZX Cadet series' first two modules are now available for purchase. This series is one of 4HP utility modules available with multiple DIY/kit options and assembled. There will be many more of these. We're stocking all components and these are available for direct order only right now. The purpose of the series is to provide a community library/archive of easily readable video synth circuits published under the creative commons license - full documentation/repositories will be published soon. I'd been holding out on a larger release day, but we've got everything and we're ready to go -- so I'm making these two available immediately. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at lars@lzxindustries.net or comment below!!! P.S. If you are still waiting on us to fulfill a preorder, don't worry -- you haven't been forgotten and we're nearly through the backlog. Details here: http://www.lzxindustries.net/product-category/modules/cadet/

monads
They do look nice! I wish they'd replenish stock of existing modules though. Almost everything on their site is "Out of Stock"
Cata
monads wrote:
They do look nice! I wish they'd replenish stock of existing modules though. Almost everything on their site is "Out of Stock"

Yea, I hear ya. I personally have been dying to get my hands on a TFKG.
DSC
Received my pcb's yesterday, excited to start building these!!!
cskonopka
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Dead Banana Dead Banana zombie
Cata
DSC wrote:

You should totally post some pics once they are finished!
bezier
Also, this:

Quote:
There will be video input, sync generator and RGB encoder modules in the cadet series.

...fully featured diy banana video synth? It's peanut butter jelly time!
MrDys
bezier wrote:
Also, this:

Quote:
There will be video input, sync generator and RGB encoder modules in the cadet series.

...fully featured diy banana video synth? It's peanut butter jelly time!

That was a stated goal of this round of things; something along the lines of enabling folks to make their own CGS Serge panels but for video.
bezier
That would mean a dream come true. I'll better start saving up for this, then. we're not worthy
sync24
woo yeah!!!
thatfritzguy
Wow! DIY LZX! PCB+faceplate for me. BOM up anywhere? Any hard-to-find parts?
Ddorward
Awesome!! After I can get my paws on some " out of stock" modules, I'll get these !
Cata
thatfritzguy wrote:
Wow! DIY LZX! PCB+faceplate for me. BOM up anywhere? Any hard-to-find parts?

Lars said he'd be posting the manuals soon that should include the BOM and instructions
oberkorn
w00t?! very interesting indeed.
I saw the pic of the green paneled prototypes but the red are nice too.
btw, out of curiosity, will the Xfader work for audio also??
plugugly
Series update over at LZX.
Cata
Man, I need all of these!
trax
plugugly wrote:
Series update over at LZX.

here we go! w00t

thumbs up
borris_yeltzun
hot red is hot and less hp is great...
but these 3 new additions to the cadet line, do exactly what a vsg tvp and color video encoder do right ?

cummon revised ilda module and x&y series !
monads
So is the Cadet II RGB Encoder basically the same as the Color Time Base Corrector less the S-Video input and Y output???
numan7
hmmm..... i wonder what Cadet IV is....

cheers
wednesdayayay
http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/3trinsrgb1c-rgb-output-expander/

woah cool I may have to pick up a 3trins at some point
Ddorward
Awesome!
cskonopka
DSC wrote:

Howdy bud! every get around to building these modules? Itching for pics! Dead Banana
DSC
Kinda been a little drum crazy here of late and have not had a chance.
I will jump on them. Noticed the linking for them on the LZX page seems a little funky. Anyone have links to the other pages other than the fader?

Need to gear up for another run of HD players too. People be askin' for em' hyper
tenshun
i built up the fader. it works pretty cool. sorry for the ghetto rigged look! i like it grimey!
i just gotta get some knobs for it.
Matos
http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-system-21/
DSC
Intense!!!!!! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
eth
Sweet! Any ideas what the +/- knob on the Cadet IX VCO does? Fine frequency control? Stoked on these cheap, compact, & DIY modules!

Eloc
Argh man, I just ordered all the cadet modules they had up before christmas, and now there's a bunch more...

@eth perhaps it's an attenuator/verter for the CV input. Looks like it's on the CV in of most of the modules, at least that's what I think the line suggests.
loderbast
i am very pumped about finaly seeing some diy video modules. all my stuff is mostly diy thats why while having a big audio modular, my video gear is all modded video mixers and stuff like that. this might kick me of to get into modular for video aswell...
gzifcak
very exciting! happy about the BOM csv as well (looking at the fader and scaler pages). those of us who just want PCBs should have an easy time building up parts orders to upload to Mouser.

looks like the main advantage of the existing out-of-stock modules will come down to functionality per hp. doing the same things with the cadet modules will just take more modules and more patch cables, and more fine tuning.
but this makes it easy to get into the format cheaply and build up a system in small increments, which should lead to a bigger network of users.

nice move LZX!
AR126
gzifcak wrote:
very exciting! happy about the BOM csv as well (looking at the fader and scaler pages). those of us who just want PCBs should have an easy time building up parts orders to upload to Mouser.

looks like the main advantage of the existing out-of-stock modules will come down to functionality per hp. doing the same things with the cadet modules will just take more modules and more patch cables, and more fine tuning.
but this makes it easy to get into the format cheaply and build up a system in small increments, which should lead to a bigger network of users.

nice move LZX!

which leads me to ask,where ARE the restocks...
(waiting on a colorspace mapper myself)
wednesdayayay
still waiting on my triple filter pre-order hopefully in january This is fun!

so what cadet series modules would I need to get a non gen lock capable video source (just a single yellow composite output) into my current LZX system?
I've got a 104hp 1u row I can fill with some cadet series lzx modules or 1u tiles
gzifcak
Quote:
so what cadet series modules would I need to get a non gen lock capable video source (just a single yellow composite output) into my current LZX system?
I've got a 104hp 1u row I can fill with some cadet series lzx modules or 1u tiles

what do you have so far? if you have a sync generator + encoder or visual cortex you can already get video in. basically the cadet modules are very basic cut-down versions of some of the existing modules:

fader = one small section of the TVFKG
hard key gen = one other small section of TVFKG
processor = 1/3 of TVP
dual ramp = ramps with only 1 horiz shape and 1 vertical
vco = cut down VWG with only triangle waveform
etc, etc

so i'd get whichever cadet modules don't duplicate what you already have or that you need more of
gzifcak
AR126 wrote:

which leads me to ask,where ARE the restocks...
(waiting on a colorspace mapper myself)

i know, i'm dying to max out my credit card on those classic modules...hopefully shifting the manufacturing to Darkplace will allow them to scale up production and keep everything that's in constant demand in stock. it's a good sign that the demand is there (and growing) though.
wednesdayayay
I should further explain what I have currently
LZX
cortex, 2x VWG,
Brownshoesonly
atten mixer, VCA
4ms
black row power
I would be wanting a secondary video input channel I've already got everything for one channel sorted (composite to component, v4 video mixer, visual cortex) but Id like to add some different video into the second channel of the visual cortex

as I stated about I pre ordered form the most recently batch of triple video filters and I also just ordered a video blending matrix and triple key generator/fader.
Your information is super helpful thank you
Dirty_Bill
Your best bet to get additional video input is the triple video interface. I get four onochrome sources into the system this way.

I havent seen details fo the cadet sync system yet so can't say if/how it will be compatible with the current LZX hardware, although I can speculate it will take sync via RCA from the connector complement on the panel... I'd guess Lars will have more details about the series after the holidays.

I'm curious myself...

wednesdayayay wrote:
I should further explain what I have currently
LZX
cortex, 2x VWG,
Brownshoesonly
atten mixer, VCA
4ms
black row power
I would be wanting a secondary video input channel I've already got everything for one channel sorted (composite to component, v4 video mixer, visual cortex) but Id like to add some different video into the second channel of the visual cortex

as I stated about I pre ordered form the most recently batch of triple video filters and I also just ordered a video blending matrix and triple key generator/fader.
Your information is super helpful thank you
gzifcak
@wednesdayayay i've never used the v4 but if you can route the inputs to 2 separate outputs you can use that to get your signals in sync, then feed one into the cortex like you normally do, and the other into a cadet video input or triple video interface and then into the cortex.

you could even just try going straight in from the v4 to the cortex with an 1/8 inch adapter, the sync and subcarrier might not cause you any problems.
FetidEye
i'm getting exited about the cadet series!!
makers
Newb question- Can anyone venture to guess if the Cadet Fader could crossfade standard color 480i composite video signals from a camera or the output of 3trinsRGB?

https://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-vi-fader/
smrl
Not really. It might work if you built it with a 75 ohm resistor at the output rather than the 500 ohm I'm assuming is there. But both sources would need to be synchronized for this to work, and I'd still expect it to behave weird, in particular with the color.
FetidEye
i just saw that Thonk has a few cadet modules (pcb + panel) for sale!!
(the fader + the scaler)
gzifcak
smrl wrote:
Not really. It might work if you built it with a 75 ohm resistor at the output rather than the 500 ohm I'm assuming is there. But both sources would need to be synchronized for this to work, and I'd still expect it to behave weird, in particular with the color.

I'm curious to see someone try this. If you swapped the output resistor and didn't do anything to the signal beyond mixing, I assume it would work fine. We know the bandwidth of the chip is high enough (40 mhz) to pass the color subcarrier, and we know there's enough headroom to pass the positive video waveform as well as the negative sync signal, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a low cost standalone voltage controlled composite video mixer.

Heck I'll try it if and when my pcb arrives.
makers
So are the Cadet series CV inputs are scaled for 1V like other LZX? I wonder if they could they built for 5 V.
Cat-A-Tonic
makers wrote:
So are the Cadet series CV inputs are scaled for 1V like other LZX? I wonder if they could they built for 5 V.

When I asked about why the 1V range was chosen
I was told it was due to power usage of the high bandwidth video opamps.

If these circuits were designed for a 5V range,
they would be much more power hungry.
cskonopka
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
makers wrote:

There is an alternative build PDF on the webpage for this that is 5X gain so you could go 1V to 5V. I could be misinterpreting this though. hmmm.....

http://www.lzxindustries.net/product/cadet-v-scaler/
Dirty_Bill
makers wrote:

Yes, there's an alternative schema for 5Volts, but only the processing and scaling modules make sense to build that way unless you are working with audio. the 1Volt scaling is aimed at processing the 'meat' of the video signal which has a range of about 0- .8 volts.

Also, I'd this that none of these cadet modules are that power hungry, and since they don't have near the complexity of the latter modules. But I could be wrong, I haven't sim'd them...
FetidEye
does anyone have a clue as for when this Cadet series is available again?
I'd love to start building these!!

(most modules are on backorder only now)
Eloc
FetidEye wrote:

I think they've always been on backorder from LZX. I have been told they start shipping in a month or so though (at least some of them). However, Thonk have a couple of them to buy now I believe.
okelk
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
makers wrote:

I think it's mostly to do with the fact that video stuff uses high frequencies. If you would want to generate 5v video signals you would need opamps with a even faster slewrate than the (already expensive) opamps that video-modules are using now.
FetidEye
Eloc wrote:
FetidEye wrote:

I think they've always been on backorder from LZX. I have been told they start shipping in a month or so though (at least some of them). However, Thonk have a couple of them to buy now I believe.

it' s too bad that the modules that Thonk has, are not really starter modules.
I mean, no oscillators or a sync generator.

a month sound hopeful though!
Polykrom
Just noticed that the schematics for the fader and the scaler are available from LZX' site – that's neat! It's interesting as a starting point for DIY designs. Are there plans to make more Cadet modules open source?

On that note, I was looking at the level shifter schematic and noticed that there's quite a few unpopulated footprints. Any clues on what they might be for?

And while I'm at it, at the risk of asking an excessively basic question: in the 5X gain version (here), it seems that one half of a dual opamp is being used as a buffer (U4) while the other half does not really do anything. I'd expect the VREF net to be at GND with that configuration. What would happen if one were to omit U4 and just connect straight to GND? Would there be impedance issues?
Dirty_Bill
Polykrom wrote:
Just noticed that the schematics for the fader and the scaler are available from LZX' site – that's neat! It's interesting as a starting point for DIY designs. Are there plans to make more Cadet modules open source?

It's my understanding that all the Cadet series schematics will be released.
tenshun
Has anyone built up the Color video encoder or Sync Generator? i received my pcbs and components but found out that the Color Video Encoder has a SMD ic.

The Sync Generator PCB had its SMD ic already soldered on to it.
Dirty_Bill
tenshun wrote:
Has anyone built up the Color video encoder or Sync Generator? i received my pcbs and components but found out that the Color Video Encoder has a SMD ic.

The Sync Generator PCB had its SMD ic already soldered on to it.

Lars just posted the schematics and I had a look. That's likely a preprogrammed Atmega pre-soldered to the sync generator. Probably a bit sensitive for DIY.

I just looked at my encoder boards, and U4 is soic-16
584-AD724JRZ

Shouldn't be terribly hard to solder, but it isn't through hole.
tenshun
i will wait to build that one as i do not have a soldering iron with a fine tip.

but i am looking forward to getting all these lined up!
Polykrom
FIY, the schematics for a bunch of Cadets were released today w00t

tenshun wrote:
i will wait to build that one as i do not have a soldering iron with a fine tip.

Actually, you'll probably find it easier to use a wide chisel (aka flat, aka screwdriver) tip for this – I use a 2mm one for most of my SMD work. There's a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, from EEVBlog et.al. It's really easy! If you have a good hot air gun with temperature control, you can also use reflow techniques.
FetidEye
I ordered a Cadet system 21 SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Can't wait to start this project!!
eth
FetidEye wrote:
I ordered a Cadet system 21 SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Can't wait to start this project!!

something wonderful that's fantastic, now we know who to bug if we have build problems!
FetidEye
hah, I ordered pcb's only, so I'm in the same boat as you.
together we can work it out
hihi
plugugly
Several large parts orders are enroute for cadet boards shipped sofar..and started assembly of the RGB encoder last night. Pics in the near future!
FetidEye
yeah, i checked all the stuff i need for the cadet 21 bundle.
this is a very large (my largest ever) project!!

I have to decide what i will build first ;
like an oscillator and the sync and the output or so, to have some basic setup

nanners
and make new banana panels!!
plugugly
Yup, encoder then sync gen for me.
Ya-Neck
So if I would like to do some approximative Vector rescanning on my modified vectrex, would the Cadet III Video Input be right for this?
cskonopka
Q: So to put together a Cadet one would have to read the schematic or are there alternative build guides?
FetidEye
There is a BOM for every Cadet, so if you follow the value codes, it is doable. The schematic can be used if you are unsure about some parts, or if you want to go full diy.
i think Lars said there will be build guides at some point.
nickciontea
Ya-Neck wrote:
So if I would like to do some approximative Vector rescanning on my modified vectrex, would the Cadet III Video Input be right for this?

i believe you also need the sync generator for the video input to work correctly. just don't need the rgb encoder since your are outputting xyz to vectrex/waveform monitor rather than a video monitor
Ya-Neck
nickciontea wrote:
Ya-Neck wrote:

i believe you also need the sync generator for the video input to work correctly. just don't need the rgb encoder since your are outputting xyz to vectrex/waveform monitor rather than a video monitor

Great! thanks for the info! thumbs up
modestnikov
where are demo-videos with examples?
michel07
Hello,
I post here my question because I can't create a new topic. And it concern the cadet series.
I would like to smart a simple video modular rack. The only thing I really need now is a system to mix 2 cameras with negative effect and also feedback possibilities, with CV control of mix & negative pot. I only play in Black&White. So, do I need sync generator for each camera? What are the options to play with negative effect? I guess the Video Blending Matrix would be a good option if available. Thanks for your advices...
sync24
hello smile

does anyone have any of the switches needed for the Sync Gen?
Mouser are out... I only need one
http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=10TF230virtualkey1 2040000virtualkey10TF230
FetidEye
The VCO files are online!

and I got a message from Lars that my cadet 21 is shipping soon... Whooo!
Joe.
FetidEye wrote:
The VCO files are online!

yah, was excited when i saw those yesterday. I didn't want to start without them.

Sas anyone tried ordering them to see if they're in stock or not? (I noticed Thonk doesn't have them listed yet either)
sync24
sync24 wrote:
hello smile

http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=10TF230virtualkey1 2040000virtualkey10TF230

Alternatively, I'm going to hardwire this as I wont be using any NTSC stuff...
'could still do with some of these switches as I notice they are needed for the VCO...
anyone got three (i haven't got the PCB or anything, though, just thinking ahead)?
Cat-A-Tonic
Are there any pics of the assembled Scaler modules that show which component arrangements boost and which cut etcetera?

I have 2 factory built.
They both seem to attenuate on all channels.
I was told that one would boost.
Same components on both.

Is there any way to turn a cut build into a boost version?
FetidEye
this just came in: (system21 + trinsRGB outputs exp)

w00t w00t w00t w00t SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! nanners nanners
FetidEye
and I see that there are a lot more cadets coming out !

Cadet X Multiplier
Cadet XI Noise Generator
Cadet XII Wavefolder/Freq Doubler
Cadet XIII 3-Input Mixer
Cadet XIV Gamma Shaper

awesome!
FetidEye
The Owner Manual of the Cadet I Sync Generator is available from the LZX website!!

https://www.lzxindustries.net/documentation/LZX-C1-OM-V1.0.pdf

This answers a lot of question!
-About how to patch incoming external signals so that they sync with the video synth
-Basic info on Genlock
-How to connect the sync (flatcables) on the back of the modules.
and much more.

The manual is written very clearly and describes the functions of all elements of the PCB.

Awesome! SlayerBadger!
FetidEye
nevermind, question asked in better thread
Veqtor
Could a cadet sync generator be used to create sync for Expedition series modules?
onurkalaycioglu
sync24 wrote:
sync24 wrote:
hello smile

Alternatively, I'm going to hardwire this as I wont be using any NTSC stuff...
'could still do with some of these switches as I notice they are needed for the VCO...
anyone got three (i haven't got the PCB or anything, though, just thinking ahead)?

did anyone ever figure out where to buy these individual switches? as the moq is 100. need a couple for the vco pcbs im about to buy. couldnt find anything on mouser that was comparable enough right angle wise.

but i did find these, which should do the trick although they arent right angle. i think the thread width is the same if the hole on the vco panels are similar to the processors panel. strange the datasheet for the 10TF230 doesnt have a thread width or panel mounting drill dimensions.

108-0042-EVX

only place i could find the right part online was some place called swatee electronics. which i think is in the czech republic. but that doesnt really help me as im in chicago... but could help some other wigglers out that way.
makers
I just finished my first Cadet! The Cadet IX VCO build was straight forward and works well with sync from my Visual Cortex.

I used this switch for sync. It seems to be very close to the Mountain 10TF230 switch in the BOM. It works fine and looks fine with the other switch but does not sit flush with the PCB when you solder it in.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=M2012S2A2G30virtualk ey63300000virtualkey633-M2012S2A2G30
Dirty_Bill
cool! I've been tempted by the oscillators but I am running out of rack space. Post some demos when you can!
FetidEye
w00t
First tests of the sync generator + video input + rgb encoder were succesfull!
(mostly)

I have to check the contrast pot, because that seemed to do nothing.
For the rest all sync signals are present, all color / luma outputs work and video was passed through.

Awesome!

update: finished + tested the Ramps module, shapes and colors screaming goo yo

now to make cool panels!
I've chosen to use banana's for patching and BNC for video in+outputs
pictures will follow soon SlayerBadger!
maggan
FetidEye wrote:
this just came in: (system21 + trinsRGB outputs exp)

w00t w00t w00t w00t SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! nanners nanners

No patch? Otherwise it looks like the order I am putting in except I am waiting for them above X pcb:s as well. Rockin' Banana!
FetidEye
what do you mean by "no patch"?
maggan
FetidEye

https://www.lzxindustries.net/product/video-cadet-embroidered-patch/
FetidEye
patch is a misleading term hihi

no I did not get it with the system 21 order.
but i'll order more soon i guess, with the 5 upcoming new cadet modules / pcb's, then i'll add it !!
maggan
FetidEye wrote:
patch is a misleading term hihi

Exactly my point! hyper
Nino
that patch is so neat This is fun!
gzifcak
I had a 2u hole in my video case so I stuffed 16 Cadet boards in a blank panel:
3 video inputs
3 keyers
3 faders
3 multipliers
2 scalers
2 VCOs

FetidEye
wow, that is pretty!
FetidEye
I've just tested the first VCO, Works too!!

I've found a lot of awesome knobs on an old mixer.
very large, but colorful and vintage.
Downside is that I have to wire everything. Oh well
(or else the knobs won't fit, the pots would be too close together)
frankaponte
I have built 4 or 5 different modules so far and they have all been fun builds. Also, many of the same values of resistors and caps are used over and over, so if you buy a bag of a parts, you can use them across just about all of the modules. Really nice modules to build. In the middle of putting together a little LCD module for the rack, so I should be able to start making some images soon.
makers
I just found this on the LZX VI Fader assembly notes:

"We recommend you avoid socketing the ICs. Capacitance in the sockets can affect higher bandwidth circuitry more than it would in audio applications."

I added sockets to my VCO builds. Does anyone have any insight? Should I try to remove the sockets from my build? How would a capacitance problem behave?
FetidEye
mh. I missed this too.

Let's ask the developers then. I'll email Lars
FetidEye
reply:
IC sockets add capacitance to the connections to the pins in the circuit.
It could potentially limit bandwidth or add ringing/oscillation to the circuit.
In practical terms, if everything looks good to you, you probably don't have to worry.
But if you see any strange noise or ringing, that could be the source.
maggan
FetidEye wrote:

Cadet X Multiplier
Cadet XI Noise Generator
Cadet XIII 3-Input Mixer
Cadet XIV Gamma Shaper

awesome!

I am waiting to place my big order on pcb:s until these are out, anyone know the plan on these?
Dirty_Bill
maggan wrote:
FetidEye wrote:

Cadet X Multiplier
Cadet XI Noise Generator
Cadet XIII 3-Input Mixer
Cadet XIV Gamma Shaper

awesome!

I am waiting to place my big order on pcb:s until these are out, anyone know the plan on these?

Some are awaiting rework - Lars didn't have a date last I spoke with him, but feel free to reach out to him and ask!
ehafh
with the cadet scaler, do i basically just want a bunch of 5v to 1v if i would like to use my audio modules with the video stuff?
FetidEye
yes
sync24
hello,
i just realised I don't have an LT1251CN#PBF for the Fader,
can anyone help me out with where to get one???

Cheers!
FetidEye
Linear Technologies has very high shipping costs, about 60,- euro on top of the already expensive IC's.
You can get samples, but not more than 2-3 ic's
I've been told that if you ask for samples, you won't have to pay for the shipping.

So now I've ordered them here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371640802567

When they arrive, I will test them and (hopefully) confirm here that they work.

These are also compatible:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-LT1256CS-40MHz-Video-Fader-and-DC-Gain-Co ntrolled-Amplifier-SOP14-/222302943961?hash=item33c249bad9:g:NFoAAOSwB LlVcsH9

But you will need a SOP14 to DIP converter, which I could not find.
(only a DIP type where the pins are wider apart than 'normal')
eth
For SMD to DIP, I've looked at Proto Advantage before. Haven't actually tried them, and they aren't overly cheap, but... this one is a SOP-24 to 0.1" DIP pins, I imagine you could just use the 14 pins you need and don't attach the other 10 (seems slightly wasteful oops)

http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2200 010
sync24
FetidEye wrote:
Linear Technologies has very high shipping costs, about 60,- euro on top of the already expensive IC's.
You can get samples, but not more than 2-3 ic's
I've been told that if you ask for samples, you won't have to pay for the shipping.

So now I've ordered them here:

When they arrive, I will test them and (hopefully) confirm here that they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-LT1256CS-40MHz-Video-Fader-and-DC-Gain-Co ntrolled-Amplifier-SOP14-/222302943961?hash=item33c249bad9:g:NFoAAOSwB LlVcsH9

But you will need a SOP14 to DIP converter, which I could not find.
(only a DIP type where the pins are wider apart than 'normal')

Ah, great!
I am trying the sample-request-route...

the sop14 to dip converters seem to be do-able, though too...

thanks!!!
Dirty_Bill
I thought about doing a group buy...Shipping for me is not an issue as it's just across town, but I don't know what the price breaks would be...
FetidEye
if the converter costs about 4,- euro, you can just as well buy the DIP LT1251
You'd come out cheaper even
sync24
makers wrote:
I just finished my first Cadet! The Cadet IX VCO build was straight forward and works well with sync from my Visual Cortex.

I used this switch for sync. It seems to be very close to the Mountain 10TF230 switch in the BOM. It works fine and looks fine with the other switch but does not sit flush with the PCB when you solder it in.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=M2012S2A2G30virtualk ey63300000virtualkey633-M2012S2A2G30

ooh, cheers - I grabbed some of these - nice fit!
Thanks
ehafh
makers wrote:
I just found this on the LZX VI Fader assembly notes:

"We recommend you avoid socketing the ICs. Capacitance in the sockets can affect higher bandwidth circuitry more than it would in audio applications."

I added sockets to my VCO builds. Does anyone have any insight?
Should I try to remove the sockets from my build? How would a capacitance problem behave?

i didn't build the fader yet but also saw that note on the information.

are we to assume this is the only module that suggests doing that?
i don't think it's on any other information sections. but i didn't double check.

also, if it's in need of ultra fine tuning couldn't a trimmer be placed somewhere and a calibration
procedure be described? it would be better to know 100% that the build meets whatever
specification they want it to be at. i have no real designing knowledge at this point so just a thought.
makers
FetidEye wrote:

I was looking into these chips today as they are also needed for the Cadet 10 Multiplier. The one linked above is a LT1256. It might be worth noting what I read in the LT1251 documentation:

http://www.linear.com/product/LT1251

"...For control signals of less than 2% or greater than 98%, the LT1251 sets one input completely off and the other completely on. This is ideal for fader applications because it eliminates off-channel feedthrough due to offset or gain errors in the control signals. The LT1256 does not have this on/off feature and operates linearly over the complete control range."

Edit:While impatiently waiting for samples, I built one of the Cadet 10 Multipliers with an SMD LT1256 and a converter board. Seems to work well.
Dirty_Bill
This thread has some info on 1251 vs 1256:

LZX DIY

I've only ever used the 1251s...

makers wrote:
FetidEye wrote:

I was looking into these chips today as they are also needed for the Cadet 10 Multiplier. The one linked above is a LT1256. It might be worth noting what I read in the LT1251 documentation:

http://www.linear.com/product/LT1251

"...For control signals of less than 2% or greater than 98%, the LT1251 sets one input completely off and the other completely on. This is ideal for fader applications because it eliminates off-channel feedthrough due to offset or gain errors in the control signals. The LT1256 does not have this on/off feature and operates linearly over the complete control range."
FetidEye
SlayerBadger!
I finished my case yesterday (installed power + rails etc)
(a big black millitary flightcase with room for expansion)

So today I've tested the 4 oscillators , the rgb encoder + ramps + processor - everything works!
(apart from some inverted switches and output wiring)

I'm waiting on the LT1251 IC's for the faders, and more banana sockets for the hard key + other processor.. speed up ebay!

I think i've figured out the functions of the processor, but one thing puzzles me: what should the 'thru' connection do?
frankaponte
onurkalaycioglu wrote:

did anyone ever figure out where to buy these individual switches? as the moq is 100. need a couple for the vco pcbs im about to buy. couldnt find anything on mouser that was comparable enough right angle wise.

but i did find these, which should do the trick although they arent right angle. i think the thread width is the same if the hole on the vco panels are similar to the processors panel. strange the datasheet for the 10TF230 doesnt have a thread width or panel mounting drill dimensions.

108-0042-EVX

only place i could find the right part online was some place called swatee electronics. which i think is in the czech republic. but that doesnt really help me as im in chicago... but could help some other wigglers out that way.

I used these (from the latest BOM on LZX site):
10TF230 Switch

-Frank
FetidEye
the LT1251's I ordered from here work!

My whole Cadet system 21 is tested and everything is operational!

The only problem I have now is that the C8 hard key modules give some interference on the signal. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i'm using banana connections (no ground). The other modules have no problems with this though (so far)
sync24
FetidEye wrote:

The only problem I have now is that the C8 hard key modules give some interference on the signal. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i'm using banana connections (no ground). The other modules have no problems with this though (so far)

thanks for the info on the LT1251's
Dirty_Bill
Curious - has anyone here saved mouser projects/carts for any of the Cadets? I've just been building with parts on hand but it's time to reap for a multi module build...

Thanks

Bill
gzifcak
i didn't save anything on the mouser site but they do have a BOM uploading tool that works pretty well if you just download the spreadsheet, import the LZX BOM and then upload. just confirm that everything uploads correctly, you might have to tweak it.
Dirty_Bill
Yup, I can do that. I was just being as lazy as possible. I'll save US Mouser carts for sharing for my next round of builds.
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:

I'm building a cadet21 too.. Wonder g if you can share a pic of you rig I want to know how you arranged everything...

Also I ordered some lt1251 from the ebay store you recommended so I'll tell you more when they arrive.
FetidEye

if needed, i can make a better picture tomorrow.

it's a banana system. but I might change it to jacks because of the ghosting i get + interference.
I made it a bit bigger than eurorack panel size. this fitted better in the case and gave me some room for error
banana color codes: red=video out, blue=cv in, green=video in, yellow=logic
(except for the rgb encoder inputs)

All pots and connectors are wired manually (big knobs and banana plugs)
I wanted some more space to play.

I made all modules dual (the 2 pcb's are sandwiched with standoffs)
the Sync + RGB encoder + Video input is also one module.
Output connectors are BNC

The VCO's have a squarewave mod (I used the extra output on the pcb. you should too!)

In retrospect: my scaler layout sucks. going to change it to 5v on the left and 1v on the right. and I forgot the earth input. this is fixed now.
FetidEye
ps: you can get free samples (no shipping costs) at LT

2 of each.
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:
ps: you can get free samples (no shipping costs) at LT

2 of each.

That's an amazing build thanks for sharing. I was planning on wiring the Jack's and pots manually of the vco, sync and rgb encoder because they are so tall I want to try to make a skiff briefcase... I'll get Visual Cortex so I'm mixing cadets and expedition on my rig.
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:

if needed, i can make a better picture tomorrow.

it's a banana system. but I might change it to jacks because of the ghosting i get + interference.
I made it a bit bigger than eurorack panel size. this fitted better in the case and gave me some room for error
banana color codes: red=video out, blue=cv in, green=video in, yellow=logic
(except for the rgb encoder inputs)

All pots and connectors are wired manually (big knobs and banana plugs)
I wanted some more space to play.

I made all modules dual (the 2 pcb's are sandwiched with standoffs)
the Sync + RGB encoder + Video input is also one module.
Output connectors are BNC

The VCO's have a squarewave mod (I used the extra output on the pcb. you should too!)

In retrospect: my scaler layout sucks. going to change it to 5v on the left and 1v on the right. and I forgot the earth input. this is fixed now.

BTW I see you have two outputs on VCO so I guess you wire the Triangle and Square outputs directly from the PCB? There is no minijack output for the square...
vonkhades
Oh and another question for the cadet 9 the VCO, does it matter if I use matched transistors or not? Just trying to know if its worth the pain to manually match them or to buy them already matched...

What do I gain by using matched transistors?
FetidEye
i did not use matched transistors. for one VCO I tried matching but found it to be too much hassle.
If you use external CV on the VCOs you can dial them in much lower than without! (from slow LFO rate to very high frequencies.)

also, I indeed used the square output on the pcb directly. works good!
FetidEye
Cadet VCO waveform tip:

For sawtooth (rising and falling type)
Bring out the SQR wave form to you panel.
Patch the TRI wave into a Fader (cadet C6)
Patch the SQR from the same VCO to the CV input of the fader
adjust the attenuator + offset

The output result is a sawtooth that can be inversed by adjusting the attenuator + offset
dubtoms
Can somebody make demos with Cadet Modules only ? I'm think about including a Video section in my new rack... Mr. Green
Also is Thonk the only option for PCB/Panel sets ?
FetidEye
I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:
I bought them from LZX directly.

I'll try to capture some of my patches.
I have only the Cadet modules + some diy stuff.

I can try capture something too.. ill upload some pics of my briefcase I think it went actually pretty cool too!

I'm puzzled on how to make work the Cadet Multiplier and Cadet Processor... I don't understand what they do, or HOW should I patch them... it seems that the work as some sort of attenuators/mixers on the signals but can't figure out what they do the the input signals...

can you describe or suggest any patches with them so I can further explore? I have patched them in a lot of ways but... Still puzzled.
FetidEye
I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:

Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)

The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less or more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)
vonkhades
FetidEye wrote:
I don't have the multiplier yet, but this is what Lars mailed me when I asked what it does:

Multiplier in 4 quadrant mode is similar to the C6,
except instead of crossfading between A and B signals
it crossfades between an inverted version of the input signal
and a positive version of an input signal.
Like a voltage-controlled attenuverter.
In 2 quadrant mode, it functions like a normal VCA (like using only the B input channel of C6.)

The processor is very useful for color mixing, adding a bit less ore more and inverting signals.
You can patch it after your oscillator or mixer to finetune the signal.
It can also be used as a small mixer (2 channel)

Oh nice! I get a good idea now.. I'll have to experiment to see how I can use it in my patches THANKS!
lcf
I'd like to make my own alu panels just buying the PCBs.
Does somebody know if panels dimensions with holes placements etc... are available somewhere please??
If I have to wire them I'll do it , I'd prefer to avoid it.
FetidEye
you can download the template I've made:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/main.ai

and then scale the modules to actual eurorack size (some might already be the good size.)

Then you can make the panel design.
lcf
Thank you! That's awesome!! It's motherfucking bacon yo
It opens in Illustrator but a few files appear to be missing.
FetidEye
use this new link:

http://www.reverselandfill.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/main2.ai
lcf
Thanks this one works perfectly. thumbs up
mafouka
Any builders willing to build my friend a Scaler? He just got a cortex and maths, needs that 1v action
FetidEye
sure
joem
Hi all. Video synth newbie here (though I've got plenty of DIY eurorack experience) looking to give this a try. I just wanted to check somethings before I start with some of these Cadet modules...

As far as I can tell, if I were to make a Cadet I Sync Generator, a Cadet II RGB Encoder, and a Cadet IV Dual Ramp Generator (and get a sync cable), that'd be enough to create some basic video (just some static gradients) with the modules, right?

Also, do all the CV inputs only deal in 0-1V, or is that just the video signals that are in that range? If it is the CV inputs too, is it possible that the Cadet modules would be damaged by going outside the 0-1V range, or will the CVs just be clipped?
FetidEye
Your assumption is right. With a C1, C2 and C4 you can create still images of gradients.
This is a perfect way to check if the Sync & RGB encoder modules work as intended.

The cv inputs accept higher voltages , but those will be clipped.
joem
Awesome. Thanks. Time for me to jump into some video synthesis!
sambell001
Hey Gang.

Just assembled a couple of Cadet VCO's.

Theoretically I can send the output directly into any R,G or B input on the VC and see a result, right?

Or do I neeeed to connect the sync cable?

Or have I just cocked up the soldering??
FetidEye
you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help smile
sambell001
FetidEye wrote:
you need to connect the sync cable to get stable colors bars.
but if you connect the output to the video encoder, you should see something.

if that does not work, check your soldering. orientation of parts, etc.
check if the IC's get power.
you can make a picture of the top and bottom of the PCB and post it here.
I've made about 8 Cadet VCO's, so I might be able to help smile

Hey thanks smile

I used Vertical B10k's from thonk as they'd ran out of Right angles. Maybe that's the glaring problem... I'm fairly certain all the components are in the right spots. Soldering is the best I've managed yet but still pretty ugly.

I am a noob to this. Will probably have to start over or do a bit of learning to figure out where exactly the culprit in the circuit is! Dead Banana
[img]https://ibb.co/cHrr7S[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/kudFZ7[/img]
FetidEye
the DPDT switch looks like it is not soldered?
the vertical pots should work. you might wired the backwards though.
the Q2a /Q2b transistors have a short (the solder is touching)
the middle pin of the L7805 looks like a bad joint. reflow!
Are the unlabeled IC's TL072's?

I'll check the parts later, I have to screw my VCO from my rack

does the module give any signal?
FetidEye
I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!
sambell001
FetidEye wrote:
I have my PCb next to the computer.

All partst look like they are where they should be (resistors etc)

1st thing: c4 and c8 look like they have the wrong polarity.
(my MIN symbol on the capacitors is facing up (with your caps, the MIN is facing down)

This can cause the module to NOT work, so desolder and flip 'm!

I checked the schematic, the PLUS side of C4 is connected to the first Ferrite Bead (FB4) so this is your problem!

Wow OK! You have filled me with hope! I will work through this and report back Sensei!
Thanks so much. Wish me luck! Hopefully next post will be some pics of some sweet sweet vertical lines smile
prae
what’s up, total video noob here...

interested in getting a few of these to slot in my euro...

is there anywhere i can read a run down of what each module does / how you would use it in a system? i’m finding it hard to make sense of some of these concepts.
FetidEye
Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.

I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncategorized/lzx-cadet-patch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!
prae
FetidEye wrote:
Cadet Series:

C1: Sync generator - makes sync signal for your videosynth. (so that the signal stays on screen instead of scrolling all over the place. You can also use this to sync external "audio" oscillators.

C2: RGB encoder - handles the output coding , 3 color inputs (from Cadet system : Red Green Blue -> video composite output

C3: Video input - get external video in the synth. You need the C1 to get steady video. It has brightness and contrast knobs. converts the video to black and white "Luma" image.

C4: Dual ramp generator - very functional synced saw wave oscillator. The frequency is fixed at a gradient across the screen. You use this to modulate the VCO's, LFO's, Mixer crossfades, Comparator threshold etc. Get one!

C5: Scaler - Scales external inputs to video level. From -5v +5v to 0v +1v
Other scaler functions are available to let it scale to and from other voltages.

C6: Fader - Crossfades 2 video signals. You will need this to mix signals. Highly useful! It has cv control over the crossfader. You can also use this to get different waveshapes out of the VCO.

C7: Processor - Invert, mix, attenuate, color mixing and more. I have one on each color output. And some more.

C8: Hard key processor - Use this to get wild shapes! Modulate the cv input with video to get hard edged new shapes.

C9: VCO - Makes horizontal and vertical lines. Modulate with video to get circles, diamonds, squares etc. The heart of the video synthesis system!
You can use the sync switch to use it as a video rate LFO.

C10: Multiplier - Video VCA. Use this to modulate changes throughout your videosynth.

I've made some patch video's to learn to use these modules:
http://www.reverselandfill.org/uncategorized/lzx-cadet-patch-sheets/

Hopefully I'll get round to make some more!!

awesome, thank you - really helpful smile

so a basic starter system could be just one of each of the above? maybe apart from a ramp gen (i have a maths)
FetidEye
a Maths is not the same as the Ramp generator.
I'll try to make an example later this week

The thing with video is that if you want to do color, you need 3 of each (RGB)
An 1 color channel can be something like this:
-VCO
-Fader
-Processor

For modulation and color stuff you need these:
-Scaler
-Ramps
-Hard key
-Multiplier

A basic system could be something like this:

1x sync
1x video encoder
1x video input
3x VCO
3x Fader
3x Processor
1x Ramps
1x Scaler

Add 3x Hard Keys and 3x Multipliers for more effects and cv control
(and maybe another Scaler)
prae
FetidEye wrote:
a Maths is not the same as the Ramp generator.
I'll try to make an example later this week
)

thank you for this, and all your help in fact.

obviously you need 3 osc's, my bad for overlooking that. but why would you need 1 fader and processor per VCO?
FetidEye
you can skimp on the Faders, but Processors are needed to mix the colors

In most of my patches the color chain is OSC-> Fader-> Processor->output
if I do synthesis. (with a lot of modulation added of coarse)

The faders are mostly used to create soft wipes and patterns, the processor is used to set the intensity , to create nuances in the colors.

If you patch the OSC directly to the output, you will get very hard colors, Red Green en Blue. To get yellow, pink, light green, purple, orange etc you have to mix different sources.

The processor is also a simple 2ch mixer with inversion, so that is VERY useful.
It is not voltage controllable, so you need to do that elsewhere, hence the Fader. (or the multiplier)
Starspawn
What Im wondering as it seems color mixing in this context means having the same (or parts of same) signal going to more than one RGB out at different levels ... how stackable friendly is it patching these signals? Are they buffered enough to handle going 3-4 places from one out?
I also assume passive attenuators work as normal?
FetidEye
My system used to be bananas, so I stacked away and had no troubles
now I have jacks & multiples, that works also.

passive att. works too.

Attenuation is the keyword . else the colors will become boring. (hard RGB is only fun for a while)

ps: you can also use the Fader to mixer shapes and make new ones.
Then you attenuate / invert the output to get certain color mixes
prae
alright, so i just got a TrinsRGB, gonna build it this weekend... AND i see cadet got restocked on Thonk... wink

what modules would you guys advise to play nice with the RGB?
FetidEye
you could get the trinsRGB expander (by LZX) to get the 3trins oscillator signals into the LZX format.

That works good.

the rest is up to you. there are multiple routes to take smile
all cadet modules are cool! also check the new Castle DIY modules!
prae
FetidEye wrote:
you could get the trinsRGB expander (by LZX) to get the 3trins oscillator signals into the LZX format.

That works good.

the rest is up to you. there are multiple routes to take smile
all cadet modules are cool! also check the new Castle DIY modules!

you cool guy. thanks for all your words of advice smile
Brendanleespengler
Thank you for the breakdown on the Cadets, FetidEye! And your website is extremely helpful. That woodpaneled LZX system you got is wildstyle, though.
I’ve got two VCOs and a Hard Key Gen, along with a fledgling rack sportin’ the Visual Cortex, Bridge, Staircase, a Brown Shoes Only triple LFO (highly recommended, btw!), and a Sensory Translator to use with my musical partner. Not sure if I’m ready for the Shapechanger/Navigstor pair yet. I’ve been told to check out the Passage or Curtain first.
wazz
Hi!

I'm trying to build the CADET IX VCO.
I just solder most of the resistor and somehow I can't find placement for R47 and R41. Is that correct that those are not present on the board, or did I mess something up ?

Cheers,
Junk Rhythm
wazz wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to build the CADET IX VCO.
I just solder most of the resistor and somehow I can't find placement for R47 and R41. Is that correct that those are not present on the board, or did I mess something up ?

Cheers,

Both are in the top left.

wazz
Thanks! ... damn, I messed up very frustrating
Fabong
What are the recommendations for adding Castle modules to a video synth? i.e. How many of each is ideal? I assume 3x VCO and 1x everything else is sufficient but I am really just guessing!
FetidEye
Cadet modules: are the "normal" building blocks.
The original system 21 collection has the ideal amount of modules to get started :
1x sync
1x video input
1x ramps
1x encoder
1x scaler
4x processor
4x fader
4x hard key
4x VCO

a basic synthesis setup would be:
1x sync
1x ramps
1x encoder
1x scaler
3x processor
3x fader
3x hard key
3x VCO

but you will need to modulate them with other sources. so maybe get more scalers, in different configurations (input and output of video signals)
This is assuming you have eurorack audio VCO's and LFO's to modulate.

I started with the system 21. I expanded this system with DIY Sandin modules and more VCO's, mixers, Multipliers and recently some Castle modules. it is a lot of fun smile

The Castle modules are 3bit CMOS units. you will need at least 1x ADC and 1x DAC. all other modules will go between (or not, output will get clipped)
If you are going with the shift register, flipflop or counter, you will need a clock OSC.

note: check out the new LZX Community forum:
https://community.lzxindustries.net/
Fabong
Hi guys, not strictly Cadet news but PCBs are available free of charge here for a limited time if you're interested in making DIY Sandin function generators and differentiators;

https://community.lzxindustries.net/t/diy-alert-free-sandin-ip-pcbs-av ailable-built-modules-also/342

Even the postage was free for me! LZX has a nice community.
bentoncbainbridge
FetidEye wrote:

Cadet X Multiplier
Cadet XI Noise Generator
Cadet XIII 3-Input Mixer
Cadet XIV Gamma Shaper

awesome!

Did 11-14 ever get released?
FetidEye
no. it stopped at Cadet X. But there was some talk on the LZX forum about the other modules.

It might still happen in the future.
Gosseyn
Hi everyone. First, many thanks to everyone contributing to this topic, which is a very valuable source on information.

I want to start a Cadet video synth and I would like your advice on the choice of 8 starter modules. I know that 8 modules is not enough, but I won't be able to fit more in my current rack, and I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on that in the near future to build a new rack and buy more PCBs.

I do have a bunch of Eurorack audio modules that I could use though. I have among others a Disting mk4 that features a precision adder that might be useful to get signals between 0 and 1v, plus a bunch of VCOs, LFOs and envelopes.

So, I was thinking about this list of starter modules :
1 Sync generator
1 RGB Encoder
2 VCOs
2 Processors
1 Fader
1 Dual Ramp Generator

Does that make any sense ? I'm obviously not expecting to do groundbreaking stuff, only to get me started on video synthesis.

Thanks for your answers !
aladan
Gosseyn wrote:
Hi everyone. First, many thanks to everyone contributing to this topic, which is a very valuable source on information.

I want to start a Cadet video synth and I would like your advice on the choice of 8 starter modules. I know that 8 modules is not enough, but I won't be able to fit more in my current rack, and I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on that in the near future to build a new rack and buy more PCBs.

I do have a bunch of Eurorack audio modules that I could use though. I have among others a Disting mk4 that features a precision adder that might be useful to get signals between 0 and 1v, plus a bunch of VCOs, LFOs and envelopes.

So, I was thinking about this list of starter modules :
1 Sync generator
1 RGB Encoder
2 VCOs
2 Processors
1 Fader
1 Dual Ramp Generator

Does that make any sense ? I'm obviously not expecting to do groundbreaking stuff, only to get me started on video synthesis.

Thanks for your answers !

To some degree what you get will determine what you end up doing with it. That's a fair starter kit, not dissimilar to the basic cadets I have. My differences are a video input module (so I can include and colourise external video images into my patterns and use external video for layering/switching effects) and I don't have a ramp generator so I use a VCO for that sort of thing instead. So compared to me, you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

Also I diy'd a 4x3 matrix mixer (based on Ken Stone's CGS designs) on stripboard, so I picked up a hard keyer and a multiplier rather than any processors.

Non-video euro modules go a long way for generating DC CVs and wider horizontal colouring needs, and audio oscillators are fine for modulating video rate VCOs. The only slight pain can be converting all the +/-12V signals down to LZX's 1V levels, but you could always solder up a few 1/8" cables with in-built voltage dividers, although there's a risk of impedance issues I guess.
Gosseyn
Hi aladan, thanks for your helpful answer.

aladan wrote:
you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

That's perfect since generating basic patterns is what I was hoping to do. I don't have many external sources that I could process anyway.

I'll probably follow your lead and ditch the processors in favour of the hard keyer and multiplier. Processors can probably be easily replaced by something else.

Voltage divider cables are also a great idea, I'll look into it.
aladan
Gosseyn wrote:
Hi aladan, thanks for your helpful answer.

aladan wrote:
you will probably find you use your modules more for pattern generation rather external video processing.

That's perfect since generating basic patterns is what I was hoping to do. I don't have many external sources that I could process anyway.

I'll probably follow your lead and ditch the processors in favour of the hard keyer and multiplier. Processors can probably be easily replaced by something else.

Voltage divider cables are also a great idea, I'll look into it.

No worries. Processors of some sort are important, and if they're mixing/attenuverting higher video frequency signals then they need to use op-amps with sufficient bandwidth. A typical audio op-amp can just manage thick vertical banding, but not really thin ones. For my DIY matrix mixer I used LM6172 instead of TL074, which meant I have to redo the layout for dual op-amps instead of quads.

So maybe just swap one processor for the hard keyer, and don't worry about the multiplier just yet (the fader does a very similar thing).

Remember video sources are basically free! Just find someone selling an old VCR for $1 on craigslist/gumtree/etc :-) But synchronising two or more of them together if you want to combine sources is a bit more costly.

Cheers,
A.
FetidEye
most of the panasonic mx10 / AV5 mixers I own, cost about 5 to 50 euro on the second hand market.
Gosseyn
Allright, thanks for the clarification on processors. I will get at least one.

Adding external sources seems indeed promising and pretty cheap, it will probably be my next move after building the first run of starter modules.
legs
So I recently decide to get into the video synthesis and purchased 18 modules of the cadet series. Have about 9 of them soldered up. I think I might be having an issue with my sync generator tho. I'm getting only a solid black screen. The voltages are 5.06V coming off the 7805 and are 5.06V at the pinouts on the ATMEGA88. I read that pin 23 should be high when it's switched to NTSC and low when switched to PAL. I'm reading always high on pin 23 no matter what is selected. Can anyone help me out?
Starspawn
Which holes did you use for the switch?
legs
Starspawn
That all looks good. How are you testing it? The RCA s input and thru, and you do have to have an input for it to do things, but also if you then use it with an encoder you should connect the sync cables before expecting a proper output from the encoder. But with that given a cable from the sync outputs in front to a RGB input should give you a result other than black.
legs
If I only hook up an encoder to my tv with composite and 1V going into red would I see something? I'm not hooking anything into the RCAs on the sync generator.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 8