MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OKEFENOKEE BUILD THREAD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author OKEFENOKEE BUILD THREAD
tojpeters
This panel doesn't have too many mods. HEXINVERTER has a good build guide for the Midi2CV.

tojpeters
Placeholder
tojpeters
The bi-n-tic is mostly just like on CGS.
The switches could be done in several ways,these are just some ideas. I'm going to replace one cap in each bank.
just leave out the cap and wire the center poles of the switch in it's place
Ken has a video at the bottom of the build page for this that has examples of the unusual behavior of the filter when you change cap values.
Note: I had a problem with the saw output being too hot and clipping. I lowered R2 to 200k. It is still pretty hot,just shy of 10v peak.

tojpeters
'73 ENV GEN
Wire pots as indicated on PCB

WAVE MULTIPLIERS : Note. I have drawn the hi/low switch backwards,wire as per drawing with a little slack and turn it upside down
tojpeters
The reverb uses a CGS 64 VCA to allow CV control of feedback level.
Make note of critical value changes in the build docs for CGS64

tojpeters
Wire the bottom half as processor as per CGS site.
Switchable gain is optional. As shown you can get 0.5x gain to unity gain in normal setting,pull knob for unity to 1.5x gain.
Increase value of the 100k for more gain in pulled position.

tojpeters
To be clear wire the rotary switch terminal 1 to pad 2,terminal 2 to pad 3 and so on. Terminal 8 does not need a wire to pad 9.

tojpeters

Here is a mod using a push pull pot to give dual range to your rate pot. Normal gives a 100Hz max speed (depending on how you trim it),pulled will take that up to 590kHz or so-D5 for use as an oscillator.

tojpeters
GryphonP3
Finally got some ICs I'd been waiting on and started on this guy today - and after a long day now its mostly stuffed w00t would you mind posting a pic of the guts of the finished product so we can see how you have the boards mounted etc? Wondering what to do with that hexinverter pcb.. Zipties? Thats the only board I dont have yet anyway, so no rush. Excited to see how this thing sounds, there are some really cool modules in here (especially bi-n-tic and the 1973 envelope!) MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tojpeters
Edit- I found a pic
The midi2cv is mounted on a CGS mini rail perpendicular to the panel with a couple angle brackets

GryphonP3
Awesome, thanks! Excited to get to wiring this thing up and playing with the bi-n-tic caps.. Going to try it out with dp3t switches

Switch 1: top=2n2, center=4n7, bottom=10n
Switch 2: top=1n, center=4n7, bottom=12n
Switch 3: top=3n3, center=4n7, bottom=6n8
Switch 4: top=22n, center=4n7, bottom=33n

Will post some examples when its done Rockin' Banana! thanks for designing an awesome panel.
tojpeters
You want DPDT on-off-on
GryphonP3
tojpeters wrote:
You want DPDT on-off-on

Hmm maybe I'm misunderstanding.. I was thinking that the switch would take the signal from the cap's pcb terminal at the common post on one pole, and routes it to a cap at either switch position of that pole (up or down) which is connected across the switch to the same position on the other pole, going out through the common post on that pole (giving you switchable cap values in the path.) If this is the case, wouldn't an off position in the center break the circuit? Actually, looking now, I see from the diagram, if I'm reading it correctly, that you've placed a 4n7 cap across the common terminals, so wouldn't that just be the same as using an On-On dpdt switch with a 4n7 across the top? I'm a little confused what the difference would be between that solution, and what the difference would be if the switch were in the up position vs the off position. Eager to learn though smile

Edit: Ah, I think I got it. it would add these caps in parallel with the 4n7 cap across the off position posts (rather than replacing it) when in the up/down positions, while only going through the single 4n7 cap in the off position, giving 3 different responses. correct?
tojpeters
Yes
GryphonP3
Just two more quick questions before I move on with wiring - could you recommend a part for that sync switch on the bi-n-tic filter (assuming it is a rotary switch?) and knobs that will fit that and the burst gen rotary switch? Nothing I have on hand fits and I would rather have something tried and true than mess around with ordering knobs that dont fit.

Thanks a lot! Posting here rather than PMing in case it might help any other builders.
tojpeters
The part number is at the top of the burst gen. drawing.
It is a 1/8" shaft. I use a teardrop shaped knob -mouser #
706-11K5028-JMNB
GryphonP3
tojpeters wrote:
The part number is at the top of the burst gen. drawing.
It is a 1/8" shaft. I use a teardrop shaped knob -mouser #
706-11K5028-JMNB

Its the same part for the Sync switch on the bi-n-tic? Thanks for the knob part number, those look great smile
tojpeters
The same. That is my go-to rotary switch. Very high quality.
yan6
Could someone proof read my jack colors to make sure i got them all right.

tojpeters
Looks right to me
yan6
After a few needed distraction builds d'oh! I'm fully committed to finishing this off in the next couple of days. I have time off work and all pcbs built. All that is needed done is wiring and maybe a few pcb part swaps that I didn't see earlier.

Tonight I was populating the panel with pots and switches and have a couple of questions:

Is there a part number to suggest what type of switch to use for the sync on the Bi-n-Tic

Is the re-trigger switch on the burst generator a momentary

In the mixer section I was a bit confused about what pots to use for the Gain and for the +-5. I wont be using the pushpull mod
Jarno
Re-trigger on the burst generator is not momentary (not in my build at least), great module, really useful.
tojpeters
Rotary is the same as the burst gen,there is a post a few above this with a knob recommendation.
B100k pots for mixer and processor pot.
yan6
Maybe half way there w00t

I mounted my boards a bit different to create an open space below the midi. This way i was able to mount the hex midi pcb's to the bottom of the chassis.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3