MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Set SAM to show
Oakley bus without mididac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley bus without mididac
Paradigm X
Hi

Im curious to try out the oakley bus, but my mididac will be a long way coming. I currently use a x0xb0x for cv./gate, so was looking for suggestions in terms of connecting it to the bus.

Would drilling two holes in the rear of the case be the best way? Its the only thing i can think of, but curious if anyone had any other suggestions? seems very crude!

As an aside, if for example i dont want to use the v/oct from the bus on something, can i just plug in a dummy plug to disengage it?

Many thanks as always.

Cheers
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
Would drilling two holes in the rear of the case be the best way?

This works quite well, although I would recommend putting them in the side if you have a wooden case.

The other way is make a panel to go on the front. This was my master panel design which held the PSU and a mult for my old System-1 modulars I used to make:

As you can see the buss is accessed via the two plugs labelled Key CV and gate.

Quote:
if for example i dont want to use the v/oct from the bus on something, can i just plug in a dummy plug to disengage it?

Yes.

Tony
Paradigm X
hi, thanks.

ive got one of the metal allmetalparts ones like krisp1 uses so could go in the side or back. but that said, ive been thinking about making a filtrex 'helper' panel to integrate that in with the modular so maybe thats the way forward.

many thanks
Ben
Paradigm X
Hi, sorry, further to this;

Do the sockets need to be metal or plastic for a metal case? I still get confused as to why filtrex uses plastic and modules use metal tbph.

And do i connect the screens of the two sockets to the middle pin of the dizzy bus, or do i just not connect them?

Many thanks again.

Best regards
Ben
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
Do the sockets need to be metal or plastic for a metal case?

Either. I prefer metal ones because they are usually better made.

Quote:
And do i connect the screens of the two sockets to the middle pin of the dizzy bus, or do i just not connect them?

The screen or earth lug of each socket should be connected to pin 2 of any of the Oakley Buss headers and make R3 a wire link.

Tony
eljay
I have a midiDAC and a PSU front panel (A 19" x 1U high version - fpd file attached).
Should I connect the midiDAC BUSS outputs to the center (NC) tags of the PSU Front Panel Key CV and Gate Sockets to avoid accidentally connecting an external CV source and the midiDAC simultaneously to the Oakley BUSS?
Synthbuilder
eljay wrote:
Should I connect the midiDAC BUSS outputs to the center (NC) tags of the PSU Front Panel Key CV and Gate Sockets to avoid accidentally connecting an external CV source and the midiDAC simultaneously to the Oakley BUSS?

Yes, that's what I would do.

Tony
trimix
Paradigm X is asking the same question I have - I'm not a MIDI user, so I don't plan to use the MIDI board anytime soon. But as my panel fills with Oakley VCOs and other modules tapping into the CV Bus of the Dizzy, I would like to start taking advantage of the connections.

Is there a pcb needed to do this without the MIDI board? Or is it really just a matter of CV and Gate jacks directly wired to the CV Bus? That seems so simple...I doubt it can be true! Also, I have more than one Dizzy in use...is there a way for them to interconnect safely, or should I route CV and Gate to each independently?

Could you describe the connections clearly (so I don't make any magic smoke)? I feel a little mystified about what's happening back there on the bus... seriously, i just don't get it
Synthbuilder
trimix wrote:
Or is it really just a matter of CV and Gate jacks directly wired to the CV Bus?

Yes.

The tip connection of the sockets is simply wired to the appropriate pin on the bus, pin 1 is CV and pin 3 is gate. Pin 2 of the bus header can go to the NC lug on the CV socket, although this is not essential. R3 should be linked out on the Dizzy. The sleeve connection of the sockets should go to the 0V of your power supply (or pin 3 of a spare power header on the Dizzy).

Quote:
I have more than one Dizzy in use...is there a way for them to interconnect safely, or should I route CV and Gate to each independently?

With the CV/gate signals you can simply daisy chain multiple Dizzies together. There is no input and output connections as such on the board - all you have are paralleled headers. Just simply connect pin 1 on one Dizzy board to pin 1 on the next, and pin 3 to pin 3. Leave the pin 2 connection. Pin 2 is connected to 0V via R3 (a wire link) on each Dizzy board.

I'd be tempted to solder the CV/gate connections between the boards rather than use Molex/MTA connectors as the additional resistance with all those connectors could cause the CV to become corrupted.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1