MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Z-DSP - Clocking!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Z-DSP - Clocking!
bemushroomed
If i use the "clock" input all i hear is the dry signal.. is there something i dont understand (searched the manual for clock, didnt find anything useful), or is it not working correctly? Without using the clock input it works like normal.

I tried a few different clock signals. The "clip" diode turns red after 1-2 seconds if i put a cable into this input (even with the cable not plugged into anyting but the zdsp).

I tried it with Dragonfly delay and error codes, it behaves the same.
continuum
What are you using for the clock source? The clock frequency must be very high for it to work.
bemushroomed
I've tried SCM (input of 133BPM, i used both the slowest and fastest output), i also tried a really fast LFO from disting.
continuum
Those are orders of magnitude too slow. The clock is the clock for the DSP chip and converters so it has to be at least 10kHz to get anything resembling audio.
bemushroomed
Thanks. It seems to work now, i used ZHPF from Braids thumbs up
continuum
Good!

Not sure what the maximum frequency of that Braids can achieve, but keep in mind the clock needs to be 2x the audio bandwidth just like any sample rate clock. So if Braids only goes to 12kHz, the audio will cutoff at 6kHz, etc.
bemushroomed
Yes some of the presets works better than others it seems. Thanks again.
mDang
clock out of the vcNoiz (Hexinverter) is perfect to clock the Z-DSP wink
ignatius
just a reminder.. the clock input on the Zdsp isn't a clock in for clocking delays or anything like that.. you don't put a gate/trigger in there. you put an audio rate signal in there.

the clock input goes to the actual clock speed of the CPU.

it's for a very high frequency audio signal.. VCO. it's why the MKII Z3000 VCO goes to 22k or whatever. you can clock the cpu! you can make it glitch and even crash by slowing it down a little using audio rate modulation. .. but it has to stay pretty high/fast
Dcramer
First plug a Z3000 square wave into Zdsp clock input.
Next plug Vallhalla reverb card in.
Next slowly drop the freq of Z3000 down from its highest level.

Then as the reverb gets longer and lower, turning into a dense, crackly mess,
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
zombie start drooling!
EnricoGaruda
Just Wonder can you achieve with the right clock speed the lo-fi-nes of the first 70's digital verb/delays?
bemushroomed
Good suggestions hihi

Made a short demo with Jupiter Storm

[s]http://soundcloud.com/deathchy/jupiter-storm-glitch[/s]
continuum
EnricoGaruda wrote:
Just Wonder can you achieve with the right clock speed the lo-fi-nes of the first 70's digital verb/delays?


Yes, definitely. The key to the early delays like the Primetimes can be done using external clocking.

Also, the Z-DSP can be clocked to at least 64 kHz for more pristine audio as well...
VanEck
bemushroomed wrote:
Good suggestions hihi

Made a short demo with Jupiter Storm

[s]http://soundcloud.com/deathchy/jupiter-storm-glitch[/s]


I enjoyed that thoroughly. thumbs up

What cart were you glitching up? Dragonfly delay?
revoltcrews
fun thread. informative thread cool

lets hear some more zdsp clock debouchery!

i'll throw some up soon..

that.. and switch the post title to Zdsp Clockin....
or something ..hehe,,,
cuz its done sorted.
bemushroomed
VanEck wrote:

I enjoyed that thoroughly. thumbs up

What cart were you glitching up? Dragonfly delay?


The first 20-30 seconds or something was Error Codes, the rest, Dragonfly.

Just got Halls of Valhalla, so i got to try it properly then im up for some more glitch lol
bemushroomed
Braids (various presets) into Z-DSP Halls of Valhalla. Jupiter Storm into "clock", modulation by Super Sloth.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/deathchy/skai[/s]

it works really well for textures (last part is more noisy and textured).
a100user
That was great, thanks bemushroomed I'm inspired.
bemushroomed
Glad you liked it smile
VanEck
bemushroomed wrote:
Braids (various presets) into Z-DSP Halls of Valhalla. Jupiter Storm into "clock", modulation by Super Sloth.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/deathchy/skai[/s]

it works really well for textures (last part is more noisy and textured).


VanEck
recorded a noise experiment this morning before work. had good results using a "guitar reverb chorus" algorithm on a random cart a friend with numberz burned for me.
ended up sounding like a circuit bent toy at moments.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/disheveledbeats/zdsphz1[/s]

disrupting the z-dsp core clock speed with jupiter storms that is being modulated by the piston honda mkii in lfo mode, which is being modulated by feedback patching from the jupiter storms. z-dsp 90% wet. delay added in daw.
bemushroomed
great stuff thumbs up

keep going people ! more glitch SlayerBadger!
grillo
I'm still a newb with my z-dsp, and had actually never tried the clock vc input.

This is an attempt at modulating it with a fast envelope for impact and percussive sounds. Warbly, but still not getting that 'fade into destruction' sound. very frustrating


ignatius
grillo wrote:
I'm still a newb with my z-dsp, and had actually never tried the clock vc input.

This is an attempt at modulating it with a fast envelope for impact and percussive sounds. Warbly, but still not getting that 'fade into destruction' sound. very frustrating


you need audio rate modulation. think highest frequency your VCO will go. stick a VCO directly into the clock input of the ZDSP with coarse frequency all the way up

LFO and Envelope are too slow even at their fastest settings.
grillo
ignatius wrote:


you need audio rate modulation. think highest frequency your VCO will go. stick a VCO directly into the clock input of the ZDSP with coarse frequency all the way up

LFO and Envelope are too slow even at their fastest settings.


I am doing that, sorry I explained it poorly. I basically used the envelope to fm the osc going into the zdsp, it's just not easy to get into the right sweet spot of just breaking up the sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group