MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

'offset' power issue (equinoxe) [resolved]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author 'offset' power issue (equinoxe) [resolved]
Paradigm X
d'oh!

Yet again im here for advice.

So in my haste to try a new module, i plugged the power cable in at the dizzy end offset by one position ... so -15v went to gnd, gnd to gnd, and gnd to 15v (actual +15v not connected).

d'oh!

im guessing, at least, a number of ICs are dead.

After correcting, the equinoxe, whihc was working in a rack prior, is partially dead. The LFO led works fine, but no cv from teh lfo out, and the audio is silent.

Other than just replacing all the ICs blindly, is there anything cleverer to try? I guess for ease this is the best option.

many thanks, ben

edit, well vclfo is actually fine! but equinoxe not. ive replaced all ics, and the main power supply electrolytics, as this fixed my cota. but no dice.
Synthbuilder
Normally, offsetting the power socket by one doesn't cause a problem. So I'm not sure what is wrong.

If there was a power supply issue R49 and R50 may have burnt out. But they would go black, make a horrible smell and let the magic smoke out. It'll be worth checking the power supply pins on the LM13700s. Pin 11 should be +15V and pin 6 -15V.

Tony
Paradigm X
Many thanks Tony.

Good to know offsetting it shouldn't cause an issue, thats really helpful. The VCLFO i did the same to actually appears to work fine (when powered correctly...) to confirm.

the equinoxe did work fine when in a rack, hard wired, but ive since moved to an motm panel with the sock4 board. never tested the lfo out tho.

no burnt resistors.

im starting to think its a wiring issue. will check that again later, and the voltages.

one thing, i didnt put in a wire for pin3, as the builders guide says this is not connected when hard-wiring. is it needed for some reason (Normalling?) when using the sock board? I thought of this late last night. again will try to add it, but seems unlikely

many thanks, Ben
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
i didnt put in a wire for pin3, as the builders guide says this is not connected when hard-wiring. is it needed for some reason (Normalling?) when using the sock board?

The Pin 3 connection is not used on the Equinoxe. The Sock4 is a generic board for all of my 'four pot, four socket' modules so it has various connections to cope with all the different possibilities that are needed.

Tony
Paradigm X
Thanks tony. one less thing to contend with.
Paradigm X
edit: all seems to be working fine!
EDIT2: I accidentally deleted the answer for anyone who may be having the same problem. id wired up the molex the wrong way round - pin 1 went to pin 8, 2-7 etc...

Thanks again for your help Tony.

Cheers, Ben
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1