MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MultiMix Complete!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author MultiMix Complete!
Flareless
I've just completed my Oakley MultiMix build. It went very smoothly and the unit works perfectly. I really enjoy working with the Oakley boards as they are clearly labeled, well built and well documented.

I chose to wire the potentiometers in the standard mode (the 'Sum' variant). I figured this was a good place to start. As I plan to build at least one more MultiMix I figure I will try the 'Stooge' variant next.

While the electronics are done I'm still waiting on the panel. As I am installing the module in a Synthesizers.com cabinet I have created a new graphic for the panel based on the MOTM template provided by Oakley. This graphic will be silkscreened onto a Dotcom single panel then drilled out.

One last note.... Some of you may have read my earlier threads regarding build problems I had with the Oakley Ring Modulator and Dual LFO. It turns out that the solder I was using for those modules was not suitable for the projects. I had run out of my 'good' solder after building a PAiA 9700 earlier this year and found this roll of solder in my tool chest. It was not clearly marked as to its contents nor can I remember where it came from. After sending the 4014 back to Tony he determined that the solder was the cause of my problem. Thank you Tony!!! I used brand new 60/40 Rosin Core solder on the MultiMix and it went perfectly.

Resistors, Capacitors, Diodes & IC Sockets

Completed module waiting for a panel

Dotcom Panel Graphic Image
Paradigm X
Flareless wrote:
One last note.... Some of you may have read my earlier threads regarding build problems I had with the Oakley Ring Modulator and Dual LFO. It turns out that the solder I was using for those modules was not suitable for the projects. I had run out of my 'good' solder after building a PAiA 9700 earlier this year and found this roll of solder in my tool chest. It was not clearly marked as to its contents nor can I remember where it came from. After sending the 4014 back to Tony he determined that the solder was the cause of my problem. Thank you Tony!!! I used brand new 60/40 Rosin Core solder on the MultiMix and it went perfectly.

glad you got it sorted. those sort of problems are a nightmare to fix. out of interest, did you have to desolder and resolder everything? good to post the solution tho, perhaps help others later on.

fwiw i managed to not solder the inner pins on the molex on my multimix, no wonder that didnt work! embarrassing, but adds to the 'database' of problems and solutions in this section, so hopefully, may help someone who does something as daft as me....
Flareless
Paradigm X wrote:

glad you got it sorted. those sort of problems are a nightmare to fix. out of interest, did you have to desolder and resolder everything? good to post the solution tho, perhaps help others later on.

Actually I held off building the MultiMix until I spoke to Tony regarding what I may have done wrong to my Ring Modulator. I didn't want to repeat my previous mistake. It was he who suggested that the solder I used was funky. At that point I went out to Radio Shack (now called The Source here in Canada) and picked up the same solder I used on the PAiA and began the whole MultiMix using the 'good solder'.

Incidentally, earlier this year I purchased two Ross Compressor clone boards from Tonepad.com. I built the first and experienced a bunch of flakey problems including noise. This past weekend I built the second of the two using my Radio Shack solder (I'm 51.... it'll always be Radio Shack to me : ) The compressor worked great!

I plan to re-do the existing compressor by desoldering then re-soldering the components and see if that fixes it. As far as what was done to fix the Ring Mod.... perhaps Tony can enlighten us.

By the way; does anyone reading this use a compressor on their synths? I tried it on my Moog Sub 37 and while it amplifies the volume I'm not sure if it's doing anything else worthwhile.
Paradigm X
my first diy project i bought the wrong solder too, lead free, about 3mm thick, was a nightmare. just about worked tho. 60/40 and thinnish works so much better...

i use compressors all the time. Simplistically, used for squashing excessive peaks (eg tm3030, as with all 303 clones, is much louder with no resonance that without). But can also be used very creatively, hammering drums for example with a long attack can really 'shape' drum sounds, and mash them together more coherently. and you can also sidechain long pads, for example, for the (somewhat cliched now) pumping sound.

Ive got 5 (stereo) compressors, and need one for the modular now! Probably a nice 1176/pultec type clone. ive got one of the hexinverter VC distortion/compressors too, and L1 also makes a VC compressor. neither in 5u format tho, so lots of extra wiring.

cheers
Flareless
I was just playing around with the compressor a bit more and did notice some interesting features. Particularly as you mentioned, squashing peaks.

I was wondering if I could modify the one I've got to work in a 5U form factor. It wouldn't be too much trouble wiring it into a panel. The only problem is that it's 9 volts and my Dotcom power supply is 15.

In its present 'stomp box' form I'm also going to experiment with it as in Insert on my mixing board. I've got my synths all running into a Mackie Onyx 1220i. The 1220i then outputs into an Onyx 1640i. The nice thing about the Mackie Onyx series is that if I daisy-chain them together via the firewire ports I get 24 channels available to my DAW (28 minus the two OUT from the 1220i and two IN on the 1640i)

It makes for some cool possibilities! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks for the tips!!!
Synthbuilder
Flareless wrote:
As far as what was done to fix the Ring Mod.... perhaps Tony can enlighten us.

That was some weird solder. The board had some sort of strange looking flux residue over it. At first I thought it could have water washable flux that hadn't been washed properly but water didn't remove it. So I went with the tried and tested iso-propyl alcohol (IPA) scrub. Basically rinsing down the underside of the board with IPA and scrubbing gently with an old toothbrush. Dab dry with a paper towel. Wash again in IPA and then dab dry with a new paper towel. And wash yet again in IPA and then dab dry with another clean paper towel.

The upper side of this particular board seemed to mostly free of any residue but any that was obvious I used a cotton wool bud with IPA to clean up.

It certainly fixed the dreadful electrical leakage that was causing the RM to misbehave.

Tony
Paradigm X
Flareless wrote:
I was just playing around with the compressor a bit more and did notice some interesting features. Particularly as you mentioned, squashing peaks.

I was wondering if I could modify the one I've got to work in a 5U form factor. It wouldn't be too much trouble wiring it into a panel. The only problem is that it's 9 volts and my Dotcom power supply is 15.

In its present 'stomp box' form I'm also going to experiment with it as in Insert on my mixing board. I've got my synths all running into a Mackie Onyx 1220i. The 1220i then outputs into an Onyx 1640i. The nice thing about the Mackie Onyx series is that if I daisy-chain them together via the firewire ports I get 24 channels available to my DAW (28 minus the two OUT from the 1220i and two IN on the 1640i)

It makes for some cool possibilities! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks for the tips!!!

some effects should work fine on 15v, but you may need to tweak some resistors, and/or worst case, you could add a 9v regulator. CGS do a little converter to change the levels in and out from modular to guitar levels. http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs60_sba.html. this plus the ross plus a 9v regulator would be the easiest.

also try hammering the compressor and running in parallel with the dry source, i love a wet/dry control on a compressor.
Flareless
Thanks for the insight into the repair Tony. I'm going to try that on my first compressor which was also the victim of this solder.

Thanks P-X for the tips. I plan to get the compressor working as a module. Actually, I like the idea of an entire row of effects in my system. Right now I'm using outboard pedals which sound great but I like the modular format far better.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1