MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Reflex LiveLoop Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next [all]

Based on the feature list, how would you rate the Reflex LiveLoop?
Amazing!
71%
 71%  [ 170 ]
Pretty Good
15%
 15%  [ 37 ]
Too Complicated
10%
 10%  [ 26 ]
Too many HP for my rack!
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 237

Author Reflex LiveLoop Sampler
Sandrine
-antiquated-
Sandrine
V1.04A!

New-
Live Pitch-Shift!
..tap REC then PlayFX G-Move

+Global Slice Sequence Overdub/re-record
..tap REC during a Slice sequence via SGS or external trigger

+3 Less Bugs!

http://www.freshnelly.com/reflex/FW/Reflex-FWUDv1.04a.zip

See the attached V104 .txt file for more info

SO here's the new "Complete idiot's Guide.." for V1.04A - don't forget to "refresh" in browser of it may just load the old .pdf
http://www.freshnelly.com/reflex/0-CompleteIdiotsGuideReflex.pdf

The regular user manual has also been updated to match V.1.04:
http://www.freshnelly.com/reflex/00-ReflexLiveLoopManual.pdf
Info on update and change log is on the last page, but the whole manual has been re-formatted for the newer features, so should stand for a while
Sandrine
I posted this in Euro forum, but it may be better to post here

So I have been developing the Flash 8 expansion board and have a dilemma with the MIDI interface (small jack on the board)
Controlling the Reflex with MIDI is proving to be fantastic, perfect Rate-note ratios, and Slice access/triggering via MIDI notes.

The issue is this:
Originally the rate/notes were centered around C5, where the pitch is at standard sample rate, which seems logical to *me* as I learned piano around C. But this isn't true if following the 1V/Octave scheme, so it has been changed up to note A5. I find this rather dodgy at best.
Either way, it follows the sampled note if it was the same at full sample rate. i.e. if an "A" is sampled in, then an A will play on note A; C will play on note C etc

Then comes the Slice selection. It starts (Slice#1) at C3, but following the same scheme, should start at an A (A3?)
So my question is, is this logical? Or should Slices start at a C?

Any suggestions would be appreciated hmmm.....
Sandrine
The Flash-8 is coming!

It's an expansion board (not a module) that plugs on to the back of the Reflex that gives 8 "sessions" of non-volatile memory for instant loading of sample/slices/settings etc
There is a bonus MIDI in interface to control the Reflex via MIDI!
Should be out in November
Cheers!
Sandrine
-Update-

Besides loading & saving sessions on the Reflex, somehow the MIDI interface has become expanse (hense the word expansion?) Look what it can do!

Flash-8 Expansion module for the Reflex LiveLoop MIDI extras:

A. Channel 1 Universal Notes
-will start a PlayFX capture from an RP sample playing or echoing, or play a Slice if SLICE SEL is on, or simply change the pitch of a playing Slice when SLICE SEL is off.

B. Channel 2 Live Record/Play Notes
-designed as a "DJ-like live embellishment controller" that captures up to 10 samples that can be instantly recalled by playing their adjacent notes. These notes are also velocity sensitive so samples can be brought into a composition less starkly, then leave with as much grace, if desired.
88-key keyboard can also select/control PlayFX on these samples

C. Channel 3 Slice Play Notes Exclusive
-will always be assigned to Slice Selection/Play. If you are using a multi-tier keyboard, or a sequencer/DAW, then this a way to have direct control of Slices and their Pitch (Rate) simultaneously

D. Channel 4 Rate Offset Notes
-Notes on this channel solely change the Pitch/Rate of whatever sample is playing. This is regardless of whether it is a Slice, RP sample playing, Echo/Delay, PlayFX, or even initially recording.
This makes controlling the new Live Pitch Shift feature of the Reflex easy!

E. Pitch Wheel (Channel 1-4)
-MIDI Pitch Wheel (found to the left side of many keyboards) acts on samples as will the normal function of Pitch Wheel. The default range is +/- 2 notes, which is usually the rule of thumb with Pitch Wheel. This range can be permanently changed away from this default up to +/- 1 octave in MIDI setup.

F. 1-2-3-4 MIDI CC's (channel 1-4)
-similar to moving the knobs on the panel, except that they are all available without having to switch or select as with the panel.
Separate programmable CC's for PlayFX course & fine, (Blend>> AC input level, pan left & right, Sampler output level, pan left & right), Feedback+fine left & right, Stutter Coarse and fine left & right, EQ bands levels left & right + EQ MID frequency select left & right, Portamento Speed, Rate Coarse and Fine.
All panel selectors and/or buttons (Play/Rec/Slice/SliceSel/Pmode, Mode, Rec T/F/C, Play T/F/G, SLoop/Ploop on/off, EQ CV jack select) and deeper settings brought out to CC's: Rate UnLock, Rate Width, PlayFX Scrubbing, Peak BackSlice, Direct Trigger out.

G. Special MIDI Controls & Commands
-MIDI Clock Output (REC T/F/C jack) + Sync (from ClockDiv setting) as with external clock trigger input.
-Notes to control 3 main buttons on all 4 channels (REC, SLICE_play, PLAY)
-Custom fast CC programming easily done from panel and CC knobs

Well that's about it. Is it enough?
hihi
mckenic
F00k! Wow!
tiego
the only drawbackwith this thing is having too much fun to be able to raise my head and read the bloody user manual ,(the idiot one for me) so after a few minutes I wonder where I am , slice, FX Play ,stutter, just the loop , mini maxi macro or G point move, i think I even found a brand new mode : the creepy one! marvelous feeling!
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/290169492" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
tiego
ooops ,

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/290597662" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Sandrine
tiego wrote:
ooops ,
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/290597662" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Ha! That's better! Spooky indeed, haven't a clue zombie
I'm like that with manuals, even my own lol. Glad you're having fun!
Sandrine
V.1.05beta

Brave beta testers!
Here's the new beta as promised.
http://www.freshnelly.com/reflex/FW/reflex4distV105beta.zip

This update doesn't have much affect on any other features/functions with the exception of G-Move operating in ping-pong grain stereo when G-Move is started with PLAY LOOP off.

Phonogene's "broken echo" mode can be entered by tapping MODE and PSEL across from it simultaneously. Echo LED will slowly flash.
Feedback is still operational as a limiter for the Blend control so can be used to slowly fade the echo when echoing.
The Blend control to left from full introduces new audio as heard on the output at various levels during record.

Both Channels can be used for output, but use only RP (right) for the mono input. If there is a signal on the left also it will be full on and not controlled by the Blend mix. ..
This could be useful for adding 1-shot sounds (like a drum) into the mix, even though it won't be heard until it loops if the Blend is to the right

Test away!
tiego
Sandrine wrote:
V.1.05beta

Brave beta testers!
Test away!

will do , G Move in wide-o-sonic mode sounds like a great idea!
thanks a lot for your great work Sandrine!
Sandrine
I was just brought to my attention that tapping the MODE+PSEL should be just that "tap" not hold, if held too long the Rate can go into RateLocked, or the mode can switch back to Layer, which is "un-fun" to say the least. Thank gawd for beta testing!
Sandrine
Re: Reflex LiveLoop Expansion Board Flash-8
-in regards to MIDI notes playing samples/PlayFX or Slices

Sandrine wrote:

Velocity anyone?
On the Flash-8 Channel slot 2 (Record/Play notes) the notes are velocity sensitive. I know it's a "touchy" issue hihi with most people so have left all of the other Channels as non-velocity sensitive.
Now I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a control for this i.e. sensitivity/curve from none (full on) to full range. The default I guess would be none.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Quasi
Sandrine wrote:
Re: Reflex LiveLoop Expansion Board Flash-8
-in regards to MIDI notes playing samples/PlayFX or Slices

Sandrine wrote:

Velocity anyone?
On the Flash-8 Channel slot 2 (Record/Play notes) the notes are velocity sensitive. I know it's a "touchy" issue hihi with most people so have left all of the other Channels as non-velocity sensitive.
Now I'm wondering if there shouldn't be a control for this i.e. sensitivity/curve from none (full on) to full range. The default I guess would be none.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sandrine,
First, I stand at the ready to purchase the expansion board!!! This is very exciting.

Second, Im wondering if I'm understanding your question correctly. By "velocity sensitive" are you asking if there is value (pun intended) in being able to set the threshold at which a sample, play fx or slice is triggered? Thus if you hit a note either on purpose or accidentally below the set threshold then it would not trigger? If so, no I can't see the value in ONLY effecting if a sample, slice or play fx is on or off but I'm open to hearing why it might be.

However, I see a huge value if by "velocity sensitive" you mean the volume the sample, slice or play fx will be set. In other words, not that it will trigger but how loud it will sound when it is triggered.

Third, any quess as to when the expansion board will be available?

Finally, a huge thank you for continually updating the firmware and pushing an already fantastic module even further!!

Cheers,
Paul
Sandrine
Thanks Paul! If you're not moving forward you're moving backwards IMO

The velocity is just that, controlling the loudness of each sample

Here's velocities being used playing randomly created Slices - starting at about 0:50

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2016/RLL-Velocities.mp3

Notice how a 1/multi-shot delay effect can be be made without actually being a delay Cheesy!
(Ok I'll admit I was doing a bit 'o tweakin at the end there)

The Flash-8 expansion board will be ready to go within a week from now thumbs up
Quasi
That sounds great to me!! Stoked you are getting these out soon!!
Sandrine
This is a short video on how the new global MIDI note sample velocity sounds. This feature will work on both PlayFX and Slices being Note triggered. Default CC# for this feature is CC#107, but can be changed on panel or from a SysEx file.

The Flash-8 is an add-on board ($90) that allows 8 sessions to be saved/loaded along with Slices and all data plus a full control MIDI interface that will access parts of the Reflex not available from the panel.

qfactor
Sandrine wrote:
The Flash-8 is an add-on board ($90) that allows 8 sessions to be saved/loaded along with Slices and all data plus a full control MIDI interface that will access parts of the Reflex not available from the panel.

Can I order the Flash-8 already? seriously, i just don't get it
Sandrine
Just a few more days, getting them through customs along with another large order, so taking forever!
Quasi
Can't wait to order it!!!!
Sandrine
I'll be emailing everyone once they're ready to go hyper

In the mean time
This quick little video demonstrates the subtle portamento feature and it's 3 modes, down only, up only, or both. This control is on the standard RPN CC#65, while portamento speed is on RPN CC#5. A standard portamento switch of foot pedal will work without any modification if your keyboard has such a beast.
It can also be controlled in a DAW soft of course as I am doing in this vid

gwpt
Hi, when you say you;ll email people, is that people who bought the Reflex off you originally?
Or do we have to put our hand up here to show interest?

If so, my hand is definitely up! smile smile
Looks like a great expander.

PS. thanks again for the idiot's guide, Im finally working out how to use the reflex... wink
mckenic
Sandrine - is all the control just standard CC#s? No NRPNs?

I could probably whip up an iPad Lemur template & Max4Live device fairly easily if so (as could anyone else - if its that straight forward)!
Sandrine
Update: The boards have cleared customs and on their way!
So we now will have more Reflex LiveLoops and also Flash-8's

gwpt wrote:
Hi, when you say you;ll email people, is that people who bought the Reflex off you originally?
Or do we have to put our hand up here to show interest?

If so, my hand is definitely up! smile smile
Looks like a great expander.

PS. thanks again for the idiot's guide, Im finally working out how to use the reflex... wink

Great to know the idiots guide was a good idea!
If you could just email me at reflex @ freshnelly .com (less the spaces) I'll put you on the list, cheers!

mckenic wrote:
Sandrine - is all the control just standard CC#s? No NRPNs?

I could probably whip up an iPad Lemur template & Max4Live device fairly easily if so (as could anyone else - if its that straight forward)!

Some of the obvious things (like sampler volume/pan, portamento speed & on/off, sustain pedal, pitch wheel) are RPN standard, and the rest mostly steer clear of common RPN's, but don't forget all of these other CC#'s (47 of them total) can be changed to suit your app from the panel or via a SysEx (which will be posted on the Flash-8 page almost ready) file editable as standard text.

I have tried to cover all of the MIDI bases. The 4 Channels Slot (default 1,2,3,4) for Notes are also configurable i.e. you may want a whole drumset in one flash session memory, and all of those Slices can be instantly played from Channel Slot #3, so it's logical to set Slot #3 to MIDI Channel 10.
The CC's work the same on all 4 Channels (1,2,3,4 by default) but not others, reserving that for other instruments etc.

Speaking of drums, I came up with a great way to load drum samples from a DAW: Place all of the samples in a sequence, in order, and at the beginning of the sequence place a REC note to begin recording when played.
At each sample the Slice Note is placed so a Slice is created precisely at the right spot. Once done, save to a memory Slot.
It's a lot of initial work in the DAW soft, but once done once it can be saved, loaded and modified etc.
You could have 8 entire sets of drums if this was all you wanted to use the Reflex for hehe
hyper
mckenic
Oh so the assignments on the Flash8 can be user configured over sysex?

That is wonderful! I can do up a M4L / Lemur thingy for myself so! Thank you!
Also - great idea on the sequence. Must get my Richard Devine sounds from the TwistedTools libs ready hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 18 of 20