MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Reflex LiveLoop Sampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]

Based on the feature list, how would you rate the Reflex LiveLoop?
Amazing!
72%
 72%  [ 170 ]
Pretty Good
15%
 15%  [ 36 ]
Too Complicated
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
Too many HP for my rack!
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 236

Author Reflex LiveLoop Sampler
jackmattson
Wow! no idea what you are doing but sounds super trippy and cool.
Sandrine
Thanks Jack! Yep, the echo mode is kind of addictive. When it's still echoing, the rate can be dropped up to 5 octaves, and a CV applied to the rate moves around the setting. So I connected into a sequencer that's not in sync with the echo so it flows around changing both the input rate and the output rate. I think the first part was using the sequencer gate on the Rate CV.
When it's in infinite echo the range increases to +/- 5 octaves.

For the voice (mine) I obtained very tight rates by turning the rate all the way down so 1 second=32 seconds, then tapped REC button twice to start the echo and set it's base speed, then turn the rate back up.
With a Trigger input, it can be set even faster this way

The guitar sample was just to show the clarity of the long echo and how easily it can be synced using a foot switch. The guitar being out of tune wasn't to show anything very frustrating

The Play(FX) button, which hasn't been shown yet, will take a portion of the echo stream, anywhere along since it was started, and play mini-loops or grains controlled by the start-end knobs. It's totally amazing, but I have to get the LEDs on that side working before I can do a video.

Oh, one more thing with the record button for anyone that's interested:
The Record Gate seemed rather useless because of the way the Record works, so that selection (gate) is now Clock.
The clock divider is settable 1 to 8 and when clock input is selected, the Record button becomes the "Arm" button for all steps/functions. This allows for easy sync with anything that sends a clock pulse.
It's surprisingly accurate with echo and layer modes.

For example, if the clock is set to /8, then a sequence is playing at 4 steps/second, then every 2 seconds the echo would cycle. If the clock is coming off the end of a sequence of, say 8, at that rate, then the echo would be 16 seconds long.

For fast clock sync where you don't have to arm, use the trigger input setting, but it'll keep alternating between echo and infinite echo if the trigger persists. It acts like a "punch-in" to the original echo cycle, so if the clock is sped up, some pretty cool effects can be generated.
sammy123
Wow trippy demo. It sounds really amazing.
NS4W
Trippy indeed! Thanks for the demo w00t
The Big Ear
That's really cool.
this one might become my first ever bought module, whenever it is released.
Cheers,
Sandrine
YW!

Videos are coming soon!
I'm working out another bug, but once it's solved, the videos will begin. Must do that before I must go away for Christmas, so the pressures on!!

I have been using PLAY FX during echo, so a sequence is recorded. If a slice is created at the beginning, just before PLAY FX, then slices between, they are created on the record stream and can be instantly recalled using slice play, or a sequencer. It's so much fun, as I said before it starts to take away "work" time hehe
Sandrine
Ug.

I think I'll call this bug, the grinch who stole Christmas. Troll! It's evil and deceptive, and as I'm going away for the holidays, will no doubt be taunting me the whole time.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Sandrine
Update:

"The only way to beat the bug, is to know the bug!"
The Grinch is dead. At 10PM last night I slayed the bastard.
In hindsight the answer was staring right at me, just didn't see it.

SO in celebration, here's a goofy PLAYFX example with echo re-recording it back in to be run back through PLAYFX.

This is raw audio, with the ZC smoothing off and no loop muting. Mono input (need to make proper patch cord still)

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/FX-rateRec-test4.mp3

Back on track at last smile
LektroiD
I absolutely need this module...

and a crowbar so I can make space in my cabinet very frustrating

Count me in for one!
Sandrine
LektroiD wrote:
I absolutely need this module...

and a crowbar so I can make space in my cabinet very frustrating

Count me in for one!

Cool!

You could always make an out-rigger.
I tried to keep the size down but had to add 2 for the side headers, unavoidable
Eloc
The demos sound really amazing. The pitch shift voice stuff is brilliant, so many different sounds coming out of that thing.

Oh and don't worry about the hp, it is clearly packing so much functionality into that width that it could be twice as wide and still justify it's size.
monno
Want! I cannot state it more simple than that.

What i´ve heard so far sounds great and the feature set is impressive. I´m a total sucker for pitch shifting delays and would happily yank out something less glamourous from my cabinet to fit this one instead. Running out of HP is always a factor here, but exceptions can be made for something like this for sure!
gorsta
Yepp, need to follow this closely eek!
Sandrine
Thankyou Eloc, Monno, & Gorsta, you guys are too kind!

Here's an example (playing when should be working this evening!) of the rudimentary phase of G-Move (moving grains...slide) with a music sample, then dubbed in a couple Korg notes, then near the end some LFO on the rate CV.

The Gmove was recorded as well (recording never stopped) so once it "moves" to that point, it starts to Gmove the Gmove! It's why I'm working so hard to get simultaneous record and FX Play at the same time.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/gMoveTypeZCon.mp3
Sandrine
Today messing with the Slicer. Used a pulse on the T/G input to create slices as recording my voice making various drum sounds, then played the new kit (50 or so "drums") with the slice button and a knob Super fun!
I'd post it but it's pretty embarssing some of the sounds I made haha!

Happy New Year everyone, and BEST for 2016! WooHoo!
It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
dan_k
Congrats on the development progress in such a short time. Have been watching this and the previous thread with interest.

All the best for 2016!
NS4W
Sandrine wrote:
Today messing with the Slicer. Used a pulse on the T/G input to create slices as recording my voice making various drum sounds, then played the new kit (50 or so "drums") with the slice button and a knob Super fun!
I'd post it but it's pretty embarssing some of the sounds I made haha!

Happy New Year everyone, and BEST for 2016! WooHoo!
It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

Looking so forward to this! Happy new year!
NJR Buffalo
This is EXACTLY the module I have been looking for!!!!!
Cannot wait until it is available.
Sandrine
Got the basic peak slicing working today! It's not intelligent yet like my original sampler, but only a few lines of code away, and seems to work nicely thus far.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/peakSlicingBasics.mp3

There's 2 samples in this mp3, the first is sampling in a bunch of drums playing from samples lined up in Winamp player, the second is an actual song. It's really surprizing the grooves you can get. This is being played with the Slice button selected to use the Rate knob as a slice selector. (1 of 16)

A maximum of 500 slices can be created, and accessed via slice CV. That'll be a future sound file or vid.

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement smile)
krz
[quote="Sandrine"]Got the basic peak slicing working today! It's not intelligent yet like my original sampler, but only a few lines of code away, and seems to work nicely thus far.

[url]http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2015/peakSlicingBasics.mp3[/url]

There's 2 samples in this mp3, the first is sampling in a bunch of drums playing from samples lined up in Winamp player, the second is an actual song. It's really surprizing the grooves you can get. This is being played with the Slice button selected to use the Rate knob as a slice selector. (1 of 16)

A maximum of 500 slices can be created, and accessed via slice CV. That'll be a future sound file or vid.

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement smile)[/quote]

Some really great audio examples!
Being able to see slices with the spectrum seems
like an important feature and the EQ will
undoubtedly be useful. If you need any more ideas, there's
a few other features you might be interested in. It's on the
the Arduino platform also.

http://www.narrat1ve.com/documents/WTPA2_Operators_Manual_RevA.pdf

As a person who has owned just about every sampler
or looper ever except those in a modular format, I really
think you have a great module to unleash! And you're just
down the road...even better.
sushiluv
Amazing, can´t wait for this to be available!
Sandrine
Thanks for the link KRZ,, and cheers from Texada Island!
You are right, that has given me a couple of ideas for the expansion module (which would have MIDI too) but got pretty much everything else covered.

I have decided to make the simple R/P Record Play mode not reset upon a new record, rather just append as a new recording. This way a sample can be recorded, then modified while recording, or if a new record is started, the previous sample can still be worked on with Play FX and/or slices and recorded simultaneously. This is really cool when the record rate is shifted by an external source.

The design is always evolving and will continue in the way of firmware upgrades.

Sushiluv, I am working hard and fast at it toward a stable product. Am still dealing with companies to do the boards and parts placement etc. The holidays rather slowed this down, but slowly getting back into the swing.
Cheers!
Matos
Great work. Looking forward to adding this to my army of samplers!
adnauseam
I've gotta ask since I didn't see it mentioned in the thread:
Is the sample memory volatile or non-volatile?

Lots of talk about sd cards and usb sticks. I also noticed mention that settings are saved on power down but no talk about saving samples.

All in all looks like a REALLY great module. I'm excited! Rockin' Banana!
Sandrine
adnauseam wrote:
I've gotta ask since I didn't see it mentioned in the thread:
Is the sample memory volatile or non-volatile?

Lots of talk about sd cards and usb sticks. I also noticed mention that settings are saved on power down but no talk about saving samples.

All in all looks like a REALLY great module. I'm excited! Rockin' Banana!

Thanks for the kudos!

I've done many hours of research on SD card possibilty, and the overhead in time and the actual usefulness of it doesn't justify the extra cost hardware and time. (Just spent another 4 hours on USB thumb drives this AM)
If it was just for me, I'd probably do the SD Card thing as I'd know what to expect (i.e. size limits, errors, brand incompatibility, file management etc) I'd end up spending more time dealing with that than actually creating upgrades to a fine sampler.

The Peak slicer (and maybe record start off of peak, still deciding) can create a set of samples that could be played in via 'puter if the need arises, which is sorta the same thing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next [all]
Page 3 of 20